Struggling with auto wipers?

Griff

Nov 30, 2015
Telford, UK
Hi guys.

Noob here in terms of Seat, also in terms of any car with gadgets of any sort lol

I was lead to believe when I bought the car that the auto wipers only activate when I have the lights set to auto, is that true?

Basically what I want to know is, can you actually turn the auto wipers off and use them manually?
Must admit I'm not a fan of the auto's, they never seem to be able to adjust the speed correctly, either it's pissing it down and they're going really slow and I can't see, or it's just barely spitting and they're going crazy!

The speed adjuster thing on top of the wiper stalk seemingly makes no difference... Is there a fault with me auto wipers or are they just generally crap?

Please help guys! :(

Thanks! Griff.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Well one click up on the wiper stalk is set to auto. Go up again and then you're in manual mode and you should be able to click it up again to intensify the speed as any other car.

Griff

Nov 30, 2015
Telford, UK
Ahh I see! So up 2 clicks to set it to manual, then I assume the speed adjuster on the stalk might actually do something? Lol

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Most probably. When I had auto wipers I never used manual. I loved them. But some leon owners have had the same issue as you, so you're not alone

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
stalk adjuster is for the "sensitivity" of the auto function. They take a bit of fiddling with and don't activate if you're sitting still, as they don't think they need to work when stationary.
A pain when you want to pull away in the rain! Mine often don't activate till I'm at the bottom of my drive, so they get a flick into manual by a quick press DOWN.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
They could be switched off in the head unit menu.

First thing I did after I got mine - hate auto wipers with a vengeance.

Prefer to use Rain-X - almost makes wipers redundant when moving.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Make sure your windscreen is clean / smear free and wipers don't leave a streak and the auto wipers should work like a charm

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
I believe if you turn the auto wipe off in the touchscreen menu that you can then use the auto sensitivity switch to as a variable intermittent selector (with the stalk up one click).

My biggest wiper irritation is that I cannot turn off the rear-wipe-in-reverse-gear thing.

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
I would agree with some of the posters. First thing I did with the car when I drove out of the Seat dealer and had a quick stop a few minutes later, is turn off the auto wipers in the car menu.
Mind you, I already had the manual downloaded in .pdf file and studied it to see, what I'd like to tinker with first thing I got the car. So I knew coming in, where exactly to turn it off. How's that for preparation... :D

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I leave my wipers on auto all the time and never have an issue, they work perfectly, so much better than my BMW.
They don't cut in until you are moving though, at the same point as the doors auto lock. There is no relation to the headlights being in auto.
Mine have had the sensitivity set to one click from the right since day one.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

swordfish103

Oct 8, 2014
Ede, The Netherlands
Depends a little bit on the weather conditions...
If it's truly raining, these are the best auto wipers I've experienced.
When there's a little bit of drizzle they're terrible and I switch to manual asap.

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
They could be switched off in the head unit menu.

First thing I did after I got mine - hate auto wipers with a vengeance.

Prefer to use Rain-X - almost makes wipers redundant when moving.

I absolutely hate Rain-X on the front screen, it causes all over smearing in the dark, fine in daylight.
I love Rain-X on the sides, rear screen, wing mirrors and headlights.
If you do it and want to remove it, you have problems. It can be removed, but difficult; I can't remember what I used.
Tony

swordfish103

Oct 8, 2014
Ede, The Netherlands
Alcohol probably?

But since there are new types of nano-coating for glass as well, I don't use Rain-X anymore.
Gyeon anti-fog also does the job. But prep or cleansing alcohol to clean the windscreen is the advise.
And use very very little product!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.