Strutbrace rattle again

Oct 12, 2005
I have had this problem in the past and put pipe cladding around the brace where it meets the airbox. Problem is now the rattle has come back. The airbox and cut straight through the foam padding. I think Its the reason for the noise at 2500 which i initialy blamed on the new milltek(opps). The airbox is that tight against the brace that it has cut through the padding. What are my options. Anyone else have this problem. Could it be sorted under warranty?. Basicaly what happens is for example in 2nd your gradually rise up the revs and when it gets to 2500 it gives a slight buz and then goes back to normal. The strutbrace is deffo rattling coz i get a noise at low revs 2.

Thanks

Last edited:

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
You know Ive never had this problem with mt Seat strut brace, but maybe the Forge one may be better for you and give more clearance. Im sure someone else will come along shortly and recommend

gazjones

forge one sits lower down shaun. lift the brace up with few washers about 2mm that should clear it. also check your air box is sat correctly on its mountings and not sitting to high

Oct 12, 2005
It seems to wobble about a bit when you just move it with your hands! I think it may be sitting to high...how can I lower it?

gazjones

the air box can come lose from its rubber mountings might be worth checking

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
But if you lower it its going to hit the airbox lid more, so Like Gaz said put some washers under the mounting bolts to raise the strut clear of airbox

KAZSTE

Jun 28, 2006
not sure if its the same but

mine was catching on the engine and making vibrating noise, took it into seat who put some black putty on the brace:whistle: , kind of fixed as still will be vibrating but can't hear it anymore so im happy.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
try a search chill cupra as this has been posted a few times :rolleyes:

if you put about 3 washers under every bolt the strut brace should clean the airbox nicely and still give you the handling.

also while the bolts are out make sure the airboxis sitting corectly in the rubbers :)

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
But if you lower it its going to hit the airbox lid more, so Like Gaz said put some washers under the mounting bolts to raise the strut clear of airbox
Do you mean when you lowere the car it will hit the airbox lid more? or when you lower the airbox, it will hit more??

i fitted my brace and all was fine, then had the coilovers fitted, and now when in really low revs (mainly in 1st, 2nd and 3rd a tad) and a certain load is applied, i get a really deep sort of rumble from somewhere in the engine bay, and its not amazling quiet, but at the same time, it's not really loud either (one of those noises you notice as a driver of the car...my m8s can't hear it at all!)

it goes away at the higher revs and is fine when under heavy load...its worse under a lighter/medium load in low revs.

Any ideas anyone? Its hard to see whats rattling in the engine bay as your driving along! lol

Dave

Kendo

The Kit Car Man
May 15, 2005
erskine
Defo the strut brace, I took mine off because of it although im considering putting it back on because the handling is now pretty poor compared to when it was fitted :(

Kendo

The Kit Car Man
May 15, 2005
erskine
Had mine raised on 2 washers under each bolt although after looking at recent posts Im going to take a look at the airbox itself and may try padding on the brace too.

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
so just to confirm...is it because my car is now lowered that the brace knocks against the air box? if so...any1 got a techi reason why this happens when lowered, and not when standard?

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
lowering the car shouldnt make the strut brace change position at all or cause it rattle anymore unlessits when going over bumps! make sure your airbox is sitting correctly in its rubbers or try modifying it so it sit lower! if its still really tight then washers

Oct 12, 2005
Update. The airbox is missing one of the screws that holds it in place. Put more foam between the brace and box which has cured the problem for now. However I still get a vibration through the pedals at 2500rpm in all gears. Also get a vibration through the dashboard at same rpm. Any ideas???

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Update. The airbox is missing one of the screws that holds it in place. Put more foam between the brace and box which has cured the problem for now. However I still get a vibration through the pedals at 2500rpm in all gears. Also get a vibration through the dashboard at same rpm. Any ideas???

it's a diesel, you will need to live with it

sorry but that's the way it is