Stubby Aerial - Bargain

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
Got the day off work today (new tyres, alignment etc) :) So just in the process of doing mine now. Sorry to be a dumbass, but where is the blue cable supposed to connect to? :think: Somewhere on the blue ISO block I'm guessing. But where?

I'm searching the forum now, but someone may have an answer for me in the meantime.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Its the large red wire on the corner of the black bottom block you need. Next to it is a black earth.

Its thicker than anything else there so you cant really miss it.

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
Nice one PhilW, off outside now :)

*Returns*

Right, before I do anything stupid....

Found the thick red wire (also has green - correct?), next to the black wire on the black ISO block. All I need to do now is pull that cable out with a pair of pliers and insert the new one in (leaving the Red/Green wire exposed)? OR do I have to attach the red/green one to the new blue one and insert the lot?

Sorry, first time doing anything like this.

Thanks again PhilW.

Last edited:

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
For anyone that hase one of these aerials GET ONE OF THESE! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-VAG-Aeria...ryZ14932QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I fitted the aerial 2 weeks ago but the reception was that bad I could not even get a half good reception even on radio 1 so I went is search of a soloution and came up with this. Found them in halfords for something like £15 and thought I could get one cheeper from fleebay and there are a few people that are selling them for less than half price.

One thing though, when you connect it up make sure you use the blue lead at the back of your headunit that you use to power a amp with and not the blue/white lead for an electric aerial, as that is what I used and the reception was only marginaly better (even with the standard aerial back on).
I actualy got so pi55ed off with it I went to take it out yesterday and just have the standard aerial back on but thought I'd try connecting the power the other way round and hay presto, perfect signal.

I hope this helps a few people out.

Got one of these a while back from Autoleads, tried connecting it to all the wires on the ISO block but reception was still crap. Will try it again on the amp power lead :)

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Installed the booster last night, great piece of kit fair play, went from not having a signal on a certain station at all to getting something i could actually listen to!

All for 6.50, bargain.

Thanks Damoegan. :D

No probs bud :D

Glad to help

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Got one of these a while back from Autoleads, tried connecting it to all the wires on the ISO block but reception was still crap. Will try it again on the amp power lead :)

If its a aftermarket headunit the power lead for a amp will do the trick bud. Mine was poor before I put it onto the amp power lead, mine is also a Autoleads one so it should work for you to. Well I hope so mate ;)

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Nice one PhilW, off outside now :)

*Returns*

Right, before I do anything stupid....

Found the thick red wire (also has green - correct?), next to the black wire on the black ISO block. All I need to do now is pull that cable out with a pair of pliers and insert the new one in (leaving the Red/Green wire exposed)? OR do I have to attach the red/green one to the new blue one and insert the lot?

Sorry, first time doing anything like this.

Thanks again PhilW.

I snipped half the end connector off the booster and jammed it down into the red/green wire connector in the iso block.

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
!

Fair play. I'll have a go at that! I'll tape it in too I reckon. I've tried pulling out the Red/Green cable and it's in so tight the pliers have started stipping the coating off the cable :O

First time doing this so dont wanna f*ck up the wiring TBH!

Thanks for all the advice.

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
If its a aftermarket headunit the power lead for a amp will do the trick bud. Mine was poor before I put it onto the amp power lead, mine is also a Autoleads one so it should work for you to. Well I hope so mate ;)

Its the standard HU mate, tried all the wires in the ISO block and no good. Will have a read through the thread properly when i get a min (at work) and have another go.

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
Hi Guys,

What kind of reception do you get from these stubby aerials??

I am intrested in them but do still want to listen to my radio.

Experiences guys??

Cheers

Alex

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
Some guys have the aerial and have purchased a booster device from ebay. Mine works perfectly without ;)

Maybe i got the best of a bad bunch

See this is what I was dreading I dont want to rip my old aerial off for the new one not to work, but some of you have found them fine so Im not sure what to do really

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
See this is what I was dreading I dont want to rip my old aerial off for the new one not to work, but some of you have found them fine so Im not sure what to do really

To be fair the aerial cost about £10 so its not like you've had to re-mortgage your house to get one, if it don't work just stick your old back on.

Easy peasy :D

cupralooks

More Power Needed
Jul 3, 2006
To be fair the aerial cost about £10 so its not like you've had to re-mortgage your house to get one, if it don't work just stick your old back on.

Easy peasy :D

I guess whn you put it like that, its not that much of a hardship

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.