Stuck dust cap on tyre!

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
I'm having problems getting the last remaining original silver dust cap off my rear passenger side tyre. If I give it anymore jip I think I'm going to rip the valve out.

Any suggestions?

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
Have you had a look to see if it has a grubb screw or allen key bolt on it to prevent it being stolen?
It it just screws on then heat it up with a hair dryer or carefully with a hot air gun.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
This was (is?) a big problem for the various anti-theft caps on the market. The salt and road crap on the roads over winter literally bonds them to the valve.

If you're lucky, consistent force with a pair of pliers will get them off. A liberal covering in WD40 doesn't hurt either. But I've known many people who have had to have new valve because of this problem.

Metal caps are a nightmare!

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Yep, I've had major problems with metal valve caps welding themselves to the valves, so I've stuck with the OE plastic ones since.

cliveyp

LCR Abuser
Jan 11, 2006
Worcester
If you do manage to get it off, drop a bit of copper slip on the threads before you refit them, should help a bit. Had to do mine.....unfortunately someone has since been able to walk off with one of the rear ones....

Rookwise

Meeeep Meeeeep !!!!!
Had this problem with my SEAT valve caps. They wouldn't budge at all. Tries pliers (with a cloth so as not to scratch the cap), WD40 and also tried a set of mole grips but couldnt get them to move.

Ended up using a Dremmel with a cutter attachment and cut the caps off. Have put the standard plastic caps back on now.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.