Sub Started Making "Fart" noises

Mar 8, 2007
Hi all.

I've been running an Infinity Basslink Subwoofer with 4 channel amp built in running my front speakers for about 18 months.

However the past week or so it has started to "fart" if that makes sense at higher volumes i.e. it still beats in line with the song but it isnt crisp and there is slight distortion on the bass notes.

I've also noticed my lights dipping a bit more than usual.

It seems to "fart" a lot less with the engine running - with the engine off and just ignition on it "farts" like mad.

Does anyone have any ideas?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
When the car is turned off the alternator won't charge the battery. When the car is running although the battery is rated as 12V it actually runs at closer to 14.4V.

Most reputable amp companies will rate their amps RMS power output at 12v and 14.4v.

It may be worth checking your battery voltage, and alternator brushes. Or turn your car on and turn on ALL the electrics (lights / full beam / heated rear screen / full fan / stereo etc...) If your lights dip significantly you have either a weak battery or alternator.

Have this checked before you replace your sub.

If this turns out not to be the problem drop me a PM as I have a very reasonably priced Alpine Type R 2+2 ohm sub which has barely been used which I could put your way for VERY reasonable money! ;)

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
When the car is turned off the alternator won't charge the battery. When the car is running although the battery is rated as 12V it actually runs at closer to 14.4V.

Most reputable amp companies will rate their amps RMS power output at 12v and 14.4v.

It may be worth checking your battery voltage, and alternator brushes. Or turn your car on and turn on ALL the electrics (lights / full beam / heated rear screen / full fan / stereo etc...) If your lights dip significantly you have either a weak battery or alternator.

Have this checked before you replace your sub.

If this turns out not to be the problem drop me a PM as I have a very reasonably priced Alpine Type R 2+2 ohm sub which has barely been used which I could put your way for VERY reasonable money! ;)

this is only to test you have a strong enough battery/alternator/big 3 cables,with regards to your lights dimming.With a lot of cars this can be perfectly normal though when using thing such as on full lock.
Your amps will have been pushing the items listed 1st more than what they were built for.
It may be the first sign of your battery starting to die out which is understandable on a car of im guessing 5 years old?
If its worse whilst your

a farting sub is usually down to one of the following:

what box is it in?sealed?ported?do you have a leak in the box?
a damaged voice coil (sub coil)
how high is your gain set?you may be sending a clipped signal,try turning it down and see if it changes

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.