Subwoofer boot help needed

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
Another problem for the smartier more knowledgable types out there.

I want subs. Real, meaty chunks of subwoofery goodness in the boot of my Leon.

I've got my eyes on the subwoofers I want, a couple of 12" kenwoods - but I have a unique problem.

I need my boot space. I know the Leon is very generous with the boot space, but I need it all for ferrying equipment around.

What's the lowest-profile setup I could make? Perhaps a reinforced stealth-shelf? A false-bottom to the the boot to create the acoustic space?

Unleash your creativity here ;)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The other option is a false floor to hide all the cabling, amps and other bits and bobs on, with a removable twin sub box sitting on top of that.

Then you can have bass when you want it and space when you need it! :)

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
Mmm. This all sounds tasty. I'll have to take her down to my local audiofile and see what they think.

They're insanely expensive, but seeing as it's all wonderfully customised - I can always just use them for ideas ;)

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I had one of them in my pick up. Its rocked considering the size of the enclosure.

ICE0022.jpg

box1.jpg

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
That's exactly what I be needing. Where's best to hunt them down, and what sort of price should I expect?

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
do you need the bootspace all the time? i sometimes need to use the boot for all kinds of junk so my subs are now mounted on a carpeted MDF floor in the box in the picture. all i need to do is take the fuse out of the power cable, pull out the cables from the amp and it all lifts out.

CUPRAMANIA001.jpg

they're rockford fosgate dual voice coil 10 inch subs, quite small but plenty loud enough!! :)

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
I've usually got 2 or 3 tripods, 2 DVCAMs and an assortment of microphones, collapsible booms etc in the boot at any one time - frequently enough to not want to have to remove a sub enclosure every time I have work ;)

That's a nice setup KarlosR, but it's just inconvenient :(

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've usually got 2 or 3 tripods, 2 DVCAMs and an assortment of microphones, collapsible booms etc in the boot at any one time - frequently enough to not want to have to remove a sub enclosure every time I have work ;)

That's a nice setup KarlosR, but it's just inconvenient :(

You'll find then that most twin sub setups are going to cause the same sort of problems. You're going to have to spend out a fair whack to get a very shallow pair of side mounted boxes to house two shallow subs. The normal Autoacoustics stealth boxes intrude a few inches into the boot, which is fine if you're just having one but not good if you have two. I don't think you'll fit all that kit into the boot, as the boot will be too narrow.

You can do DIY and make your own to your size and space requirements... but it will take time to get the fibreglass shape perfect and to make them perfectly air tight. It's possible... if you have the time, space and skills to do it :) Nice challenge for you! ;)

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
So probably i'll just have to be "sensible" and only have 1? I guess I can settle for... what was it, 1400W? Just need to find an amp that can support that on a channel...

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Just edited my above post as you typed that! :lol:

You don't need two subs to be honest. One decent sub, a good box and a sensible amount of power is much more than enough for a daily driver system. Any more and it will be all bass.

1400watts is far too much power for a daily driver system. Unless you're talking about 1400watts Max Power... but if you are, ignore Max Power figures as they are 100% meaningless and are to be ignored.

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
But they're so nice, it seems a waste not to have 2... I guess I could just spend the extra cash on a slightly nicer head unit...

I guess I could just put classicFM on my radio tuner and ditch independant subs altogether :s

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Are you planning on upgrading the front speakers and running them from an amp? If so, then you can go with two subs as you'll have a more balanced system. But if not, stick with one sub and a sensible amount of power or else you'll have loads of noise but no music. It wont sound 'good' but it might turn heads when blasting it out chav-style down the local highstreet :lol:

A good box, one of those subs, a nice amp and some time spent setting it up well will give you the grounds of a very good system that you can actually listen to :yes:

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
Hmm. Now is just the matter of how much to spend... and I still haven't modified my exterior yet.

Argh!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Best thing to do is set a budget and let us know what it is. Then I'm sure somebody will find something suitable for you :yes:

A few points, just so you know what you're looking for...

Ignore Max Power figures, as they are made up crap. It's just marketing bullshit. Instead, look for the RMS power value, as that's a more real life value.

If making your own sub box, make sure you consult the specification of the sub to ensure you get the right volume. Subs need a specific environment to work in, and the volume of the enclosure is a big part of this.

When setting up your system, make sure every type of Bass Boost, 'Loud' or any other EQ setting is turned off or to flat.

Over-Specify the cable sizes, so if you want to upgrade or add more amps to the system, you don't need to re-wire.

HTH :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.