Sump threads stripped, what are my best options?

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Happy Days, one less problem to sort :p Tapped and now using a larger sump bolt. Does make me feel a bit nauseous that im using peugeot part on my car though (larger sump drain plug :p)

:wtf: DAM DAM DAM, has started leaking again just as bad FFS![:@] Not sure if its worth Helicoil it of just bight the bullet and change the sump? :cry:

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Looks like i will be changing the sump this weekend so want to make sure i have all the right tools, think i have them all apart from a this one "T10058" which i believe is used to access a couple of hard to reach bolts? Can i just use a extension with a knuckle?:confused:

Cheers

Last edited:

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
I removed my sump with just a 10mm socket and an universal joint of required to get to the more awkward bolts. I checked all the bolts undid before starting. Just get the oem sealant and put plenty on when refitting especially where it joins the gearbox side. To speed it up I cracked off the bolts then whizzed them out with a battery drill. I had one bolt that didn't want to so back up so I ran a tap through the thread which sorted it out.

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
I removed my sump with just a 10mm socket and an universal joint of required to get to the more awkward bolts. I checked all the bolts undid before starting. Just get the oem sealant and put plenty on when refitting especially where it joins the gearbox side. To speed it up I cracked off the bolts then whizzed them out with a battery drill. I had one bolt that didn't want to so back up so I ran a tap through the thread which sorted it out.

Cheers mate :)
Wish me luck. :rolleyes:

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
I'm sure you will be ok mate. Hardest part is just getting the car high enough so you can see what your doing. Don't forget to undo turbo return line and level sendor too lol. I only removed my sump to replace oil pick up pipe which annoying was spotless after 95000 miles!!

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
I'm sure you will be ok mate. Hardest part is just getting the car high enough so you can see what your doing. Don't forget to undo turbo return line and level sendor too lol. I only removed my sump to replace oil pick up pipe which annoying was spotless after 95000 miles!!

I take it the 2 parts to disconnect as you mentioned are the 2 holes in the sump pic? :whistle:
038103603M.jpg

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
That's right. The side one is the turbo return line. Don't lose the gasket when you remove it. I put a small amount of sealant on it when refitting. The level sender has a built in seal which should be ok.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members