supplemental restraint system warning lamp does not illuminate listed on mot 1996

stonewales

Nov 28, 2015
seat ibiza 2006 1.4 pd sx tdi supplemental restraint system warning lamp does not illuminate listed on the mot from last year - and to tell the truth never seen it on the dash and would have no idea where on the dash it is - only light that come on is for the passager side is the air bag to say its turned off next to the hazzard light switch.
no faults are listed when i checked with the OBD2.
what should i look for and what could be the problem to fix it....:confused:

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Cheap code readers generally don't work with the airbag system, you need VCDS to be able to sort those issues out.

stonewales

Nov 28, 2015
its does list number of faults just cannot see them did it when i had a fault with the senor in my old mk4 golf and then i go and lend a mates to see the fault- but i will next time i see him just for a backup..

Last edited:

stonewales

Nov 28, 2015
cheers for that Badger got the Haynes manual today and could not find it so you saying that helps

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Is the standard SRS check/warning light not just the airbag light which comes on initially at ignition on,then goes off - not the one that lights to show the passenger side front airbag is disabled.

I'd be very surprised if there are any cars on the road that do not perform an SRS selftest when you initially switch the ignition on.

Might you, lots of things that VW group do/don't do might surprise us a bit.

stonewales

Nov 28, 2015
ABS on and then off -steering wheel symbol with ! next to it on and off - engine warning light on and off -oil level warning light on and off - battery warning light on and off - Power Steering/EPS Warning on and then off - Engine Management/ECU on and then off - Brake System/Brake Fluid Warning on until handbrake down -Airbag Warning Light never has come on thought it would only come on if a problem with it -tell me if it should come on and then off ?

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
The fact that your car has a passenger airbag on/off indicator suggests to me that the car has airbags. If it didn't then SEAT wouldn't even bother fitting an indicator. It would just be a blanking plate there instead. You say that the passenger airbag indicator is showing that it's switched off. Is there a switch (or key switch) anywhere to turn the passenger airbag on/off?

Do you have the word "airbag" moulded into the steering wheel anywhere (usually on the bottom of the centre trim part that surrounds the round SEAT badge in the middle)? If you do then your car definitely has an airbag which means that the airbag warning light needs to be working including the self-test at ignition on. If there is no obvious written reference to "airbag" anywhere then you don't need to worry about anything and the MOT station just made an incorrect assumption about airbags being fitted to your car.

Last edited:

stonewales

Nov 28, 2015
car does have airbag on steering wheel and passagers side and no switch to turn on the passagers side its just a plate that lights up to say airbag is off - and no idea why self test does not display it ...

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
car does have airbag on steering wheel and passagers side and no switch to turn on the passagers side its just a plate that lights up to say airbag is off - and no idea why self test does not display it ...

That's probably why it was flagged at the MOT then. There is certainly enough visible evidence showing that airbags are fitted but no sign of the warning light working.

It was only recently (within the last few years IIRC) that the self test on/off function of the airbag light at ignition on became an MOT requirement. Prior to that the airbag light just needed to be off when the ignition was on (to indicate no persistent fault present).

I wouldn't be surprised the airbag light had previously been triggered and rather than get it reset or fix the cause of it coming on, a previous owner may have dismantled the instrument cluster and just put a piece of black tape over the airbag LED to make it look like it was off in order to satisfy the old MOT rules. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that had been done.

Last edited:

stonewales

Nov 28, 2015
will have to find some one local to check for the error then before i start taking apart the dash ....
i thought it might have been because the air bag was off and thats why the light did not come on oh well got until october to sort it ...

stonewales

Nov 28, 2015
Right got it from him today
3 errors came up
16955-brake switch (f) implasible signal - p0571 - 35-10-intermittent
00588 - airbag igniter driver side (N95) 32-00-resistance too high (is this why the light on the dash does not come on ?)
00928 locking module for central locking : front drivers side (F220) 27-00 implasible signal (central locking works fine but the alarm light has not flashed on and off since i had it on the drivers door )

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Fix the ignitor on the drivers side, resistance would suggest that it's possibly the wiring that's at fault

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
so apart from taking the dash apart whats the fix ?

Well first off you're going to need to take the cluster apart and find out what bodge has been applied to the airbag LED so you at least get it illuminating again. Then you need to investigate why the igniter in the steering wheel airbag is throwing a fault. It may just be a wiring or bad connection issue.

stonewales

Nov 28, 2015
is taking the cluster a pain to do ?

Possible Solutions

* Check Wiring from/to Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95)
* Check Coil Spring with Slip Ring (F138) sound like this happens alot
* Check Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
--------- and, remember that it looks like your brake pedal mounted switch is not good, so when you brake your brake lights might not be getting switched on always - not very handy if you brake late as you stand a good chance of being rear ended! I'd be replacing that sharpish.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.