Supply of parts?

Ferret

Jul 24, 2015
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi all Cordy peeps!

I seem to be having some troubles getting my hands on a few bits and bobs for a 1997 2.0lt 16v Cordoba SX. According to main dealer it is a Spanish Seat(!) and it is the 6K6ABF2 version.
I would like to get help getting either parts or part numbers so I can go hunting on the interweb........

I am after: MAP sensor - Intake manifold pressure sensor
Intake air temp sensor
Throttle position sensor

All of these puppies have been flagged up via scanner as being faulty or not working, so need to get them replaced if I could only find them! Please help everyone!

Many thanks
Ferret:blink:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Did you do a check on the loom/ecu connection point first (might be corroded so just visual check). There should be resistance values for some of the components that you check if they are faulty or not. VAGCAT online list part numbers but the same part number can some times be listed for younger models as well as older models when it shouldn't I.E. they have model change/facelift crossover point wrong. You just need to be careful and eliminate misinformation by observing the part number for the same part for a range of years to identify variances then use ebay or google search to confirm you findings.

Last edited:

Ferret

Jul 24, 2015
Penzance, Cornwall
Had a good look around at all areas where wires connect to anything and everything, and can find nothing at all untoward! I checked everything because I am not 100% sure which is which! As in I think I know where the throttle body sensor is and I think I know where the air temp thing is, but where is the ECU or Map sensor?!

The car has been laid up for months now, and it does drive......its just like being towed with a bit of elastic! Sometimes the revs are up and down, once or twice they've been crazy high then dropping down to nothing and stalling. A friend fiddled with the accelerator cable to no avail so I replaced all the little vacuum pipes and it appears that there is a good pull from that department.

I chanced a phone call to local SEAT dealers and they managed to get prices for intake air temp sensor and for a throttle position sensor, but when it came to MAP sensor they said there was no such thing for this car! I must of misheard because they then said it would cost £90 to scan because, and I quote "we are qualified and not someone who does it for kicks!" Ahem excuse me! A weekend warrior I may be, but really! How rude! I even bought a VCDS-Lite!!! They said that they have proper equipment and can read the codes correctly which will mean that they are able to get the correct parts.
I'm not too impressed with this!

Any help would be amazing

Verity :blink:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The VCDS-Lite is a free download which you can then register to unlock additional features at an additional fee. Have you got the registered version then? If so do an autoscan and either pm me a copy or post it in the thread to see what I or we make of it. The we being forum members, I've not been diagnosed with full blown physophrenia just yet:)

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I forgot to say that I would always take what garages say with a pinch of salt. It sounds terribly sceptical but an example is the service manager Mervin Stewart (skoda at the time) tried to swear blind that there was nothing wrong with the thermostat in a 1.4 skoda fabia I owned. It heated up in slow traffic but cooled down at anything above 30mph, simples. They also replaced a door seal and failed to reinstall a satellite speaker in the door card. When I informed him he tried to impress upon me that my model didn't come with them. I told him to check the other door card and see for him self that it does. It was unreal, like I was talking to a brick wall or didn't exist.

Ferret

Jul 24, 2015
Penzance, Cornwall
Its crazy bad some times how the main dealers speak to people - I put my own car into Ford for a full service (only because I hadn't serviced her in years and I wanted to keep the book stamped). It cost £195 and they only changed the oil,filter sparks and air filter! Hells bells! When I had my Morris a full service was practically every thing - all filters changed, all fluids changed (and I mean ALL fluids) tappets, rocker covers, grease nipples - you name it, it was serviced. And from what receipts I have, for the same money. I spose you could say £200 was a lot 20 odd years ago.....
Any how, I went searching for ABF issues on VAG sites and have found the ECU - its behind the crappy plastic at the back of engine bay where the windscreen meets the body and wing. The MAP sensor is in there and there is a vacuum pipe from manifold/throttlebody that goes straight to the MAP sensor. This is where I think my problem is! When I replaced the vacuum pipes, this one had the bad bits cut off, a connecter put on it with the new piping attached to that. I am thinking that having this little connection piece is just enough to interrupt the flow from the manifold to the MAP sensor?!? Any thoughts?

The wiring around the back of the throttle body and manifold was damaged ( 2nd time of checking!) so I have for the time being used electrical tape and covered with some plastic sleeve that was floating around. It would seem that the juddering is very intermittent and only does it once or twice on journey's. I am hoping that if I replace the entire vacuum pipe to the MAP sensor, this will hopefully cure all :)

I only have the free download VCDS Lite even though it cost me £7! I have looked into the registered version from Rosstech which costs $90 - £80, but I will see how we go first.

Hope all is well friends

Verity

Ferret

Jul 24, 2015
Penzance, Cornwall
Also the ford dealers broke my car! £195 paid and the blehdy thing didn't work after! The HT leads had been damaged but I couldn't get rid of the codes so they charged me £45 to do it! They broke it!!!:|

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
You must have bought a cable at £7 as the unregistered version is freeware and carries no charge. That's exactly where the ecu is and it senses manifold pressure. You can check the hose for leaks by removing it and blowing through it with your mouth whilst blocking one end. That would mess up your fuelling. Check loom to ecu connection for furring/corrosion.

Last edited:

Ferret

Jul 24, 2015
Penzance, Cornwall
All fine and in super condition (will double check though as have learnt from past experiences!).

I just wanted to see if having 2 tubes joined up with a section that fits inside of them could be the cause of the issues that we are experiencing - as in the small section piece is just enough to restrict the air flow to the ECU. The vacuum pipe is 3mm then it goes down to say 2mm due to connect section, then opens up to 3mm again.

Is it possible that this small restriction could be causing an obstruction and making the ECU pump out fault codes of faulty air sensors?

many thanks

Verity

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I said pressure in the last post because mine has a turbo but yours is N/A petrol so while carry a vacuum mostly. I would personally be happier with a single length but again the overall condition of the tube, if it's leak free or not collapsing in on itself would be more important than it being jointed. That said check the joint for air tightness with a bit of soapy water. Do this check first to eliminate this as possible cause of problems then read engine error codes and post them till we see what the crack is?

Last edited:

Ferret

Jul 24, 2015
Penzance, Cornwall
Air tightness of joint? Good idea! Mother has taken the car for long journey's this past week and she said that its behaving itself very nicely - only had 1 cough to speak of, but she wasn't too worried because it was on the dual carriageway and the road was clear. So long as it doesn't happen in traffic i.e. go up the backside of someone, I think that Mother is happy!

derekfellowes17

Dec 9, 2015
My Cordoba sx 2.0 16v abf was reviving funny ,I got some vacuum tube from eBay changed all the pipes over ticks over at 800 rpm , also was cutting out when hot so I got my mechanic to change the engine position sensor that has fixed the engine , as for parts look for mk3 golf parts for engine and polo for the rest 6 n is there code , mine is also a 6k code .
There rare cars now so best do a bit of shopping around for spares but all can be found .

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members