Surging - Resetting ECU with VAG-COM

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
Guys,

I've been suffering with a random and very brief surge that I've noticed mainly in 2nd but occasionally in 3rd that happens anywhere from just below 2K to just below 3K since I had a Revo trial last year.

It also seems to be then not on full throttle.

From reading around it seems there's a chance the Revo trial could have confused the ECU when it finished - I know they don't reset completely to stock.

I have done the throttle adjustment but that dosen't seem to have made things any better.

I want to try reseting the ECU now but would rather not disconnect the battery as I have full VAG-COM and don't want to have to do the radio and reset the clock everytime.

Can anyone fill me in on the procedure for doing this with VAG-COM?

Thanks in advance

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
if youre getting surging its more likely the n75 valve (check what version you have, part number will be xxxxxxc or f or j or h etc, should be c), run vagcom and log a few 4th gear runs from say 1500 rpm.

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Try an N249 bypass- cured my surging, also turn the GV bacwards, and check MAF - i did all of this at once.

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
CupraSteve said:
nigjode can you explain in laymans how to bypass the n249, the guide in here Confused the hell out of me :(

There's a very easy method - but it takes balls because you'll think you're bypassing half of the widgets in the engine, but in reality it just bypasses all the bits attached to the bracket surround the dipstick tube. I believe those widgets are the N249, and another widget that follows the N249 and assists it. I have a smoother drive from doing it, and its had no adverse effects on the car after 500 or so miles.

Anyway, enough rambling, here's what you do:

1. cut into the small braided hose coming from the FPR

2. get a T-piece and connect it into the hose you just cut

3. now connect a piece of vacuum hose (you will have to buy this from somewhere but its cheap) to the 3rd output on the T-piece and run that hose to the top of the DV. (the little nipple on top of the Forge 007)

4. Now you'll be looking at your engine and there's gonna be a "spare" hose - the one that was originally attached to the top of the forge. Find some way of blocking this off/sealing it up.

Now go for a drive - if you like it, then you can find some way to tidy up what will look like a messy application - i haven't done this yet - but as it is now, you can drive around for a bit and see if you wanna keep it like that. If not, its easiy reversible. :D

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
Was your surging consistant? Mine is minimal and only some of the time / occasionally like I said.

Does this effect the the N75 at all as well?

To be honest that all sounds pretty scary - as someone not familiar with messing about with under bonnet gubbins that much. :)

I'd like to try the VAG-COM ECU reset first but I can't find anyone who can guide me through it....

CupraSteve

Feb 3, 2006
bigjode said:
There's a very easy method - but it takes balls because you'll think you're bypassing half of the widgets in the engine, but in reality it just bypasses all the bits attached to the bracket surround the dipstick tube. I believe those widgets are the N249, and another widget that follows the N249 and assists it. I have a smoother drive from doing it, and its had no adverse effects on the car after 500 or so miles.

Anyway, enough rambling, here's what you do:

1. cut into the small braided hose coming from the FPR

2. get a T-piece and connect it into the hose you just cut

3. now connect a piece of vacuum hose (you will have to buy this from somewhere but its cheap) to the 3rd output on the T-piece and run that hose to the top of the DV. (the little nipple on top of the Forge 007)

4. Now you'll be looking at your engine and there's gonna be a "spare" hose - the one that was originally attached to the top of the forge. Find some way of blocking this off/sealing it up.

Now go for a drive - if you like it, then you can find some way to tidy up what will look like a messy application - i haven't done this yet - but as it is now, you can drive around for a bit and see if you wanna keep it like that. If not, its easiy reversible. :D

thanks muchly i will try this :D

sorry about the typo on yoursuername just noticed :lol:

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
jetsetjimbo said:
Was your surging consistant? Mine is minimal and only some of the time / occasionally like I said.

Does this effect the the N75 at all as well?

To be honest that all sounds pretty scary - as someone not familiar with messing about with under bonnet gubbins that much. :)

I'd like to try the VAG-COM ECU reset first but I can't find anyone who can guide me through it....

My surging was minimal, like really minimal, no one else even noticed it and it was only on light throttle in 2nd gear. This has reduced it by about 99% so now its etremely hard to notice - or its not there at all and i'm just paranoid. :blink:

ECU reset won't really help TBH.

With Vag com you can do the adaptation thing, which is engine - basic settings - block 60 (while igntiton is on but tngine is off), that justclears the latest adaptations, so is a reset in a kind of way.

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
PhilW said:
Clear all fault codes first then do a TBA.

I've been runnin the bypass for months now and loads of miles with no probs.

I've done that before. Some have mentioned that it might be worth doing a TB alignment.

Did you have the slight surge on light throttle before the bypass?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Nah my car was fine. I done it purely to get rid of all the **** on top of the rocker cover. lol.

My guess its a dodgy N75 tho, which obviously controls boost. See if you know of anyone who you can borrow one to see if its that.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise