tail happy gti cupra 8v

samc

Jan 18, 2010
as much fun as it is, does anyone else have lift off oversteer that turns you into a drift god on every roundabout? lol i bought the car for my girlfriend to use as we have a 2 year old boy and i wanted something safer than the ax she currently drives. but maybe it wasnt a wise choice lol i've seen alot of topics about spacers but is that solely for looks purposes or will it help keep the rear, to the rear, and not the side lol it makes my 205 gti seem boring :funk:

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Spacers may well help you as the cars are quite skittish on bends/roundabouts etc especially in the wet.. 20mm per side is the usual to bring the rear axle to the same length as the front so in turn (excuse the pun) giving the car a slightly wider rear footprint than it has from stock.

samc

Jan 18, 2010
cheers i'll get a hold of some and see what its like, is hubcentric that bolt to the hub first the way to go or are solid spacers ok? never used them on anything before so thought i'd ask. cheers

samc

Jan 18, 2010
cheers, im sure my dad had some universals lying about somewhere lol

samc

Jan 18, 2010
really? im not that bothered about keeping them on anyway as the missus will probably smash them to bits anyway lol good old 13s on her current car with balloon tyres lol

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Lift off oversteer - nice if you are used to it and can have a play. I've still got plenty even with spacers on. Then again, I've taken all the weight off the back axle :eek:)

I can remember my mate lifting off at Camp Corner at Castle Combe when I was in the passenger seat. Kind of fun going over the start/finish line backwards! He nearly sh** himself - I couldn't stop laughing.

Aug 22, 2008
cannock
See Im the opposite. I have a set of Kumho Ecsta Ku31's on my Oz's and I really like them. Ive never had any issues of them not gripping in the wet on roundabouts or whatever. I really like them. Although I think Im going to give a set of Toyo's a try next.

i was on about the size of the wheels m8 :D
or do u think it could of been my driving :whistle:

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I have khumo's on the front of mine and to be kind to them................... They're ****!!!!

Marshalls budget tyres grip loads better.

I run standard 15's with no spacers and i never have any trouble with lift off over steer, plenty of under steer going on but i put this down to the Khumo's.

I think you've done well putting your mrs in a MK2, they can take bloody huge bangs without the people inside getting hurt which is the main thing.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
I really like the kumho's that I have on mine. Never had any issues with them regarding grip or anything. Im on my 2nd set of them. Although I think it will be a set of toyo's next.

Im running 205/45/16 Kumho's all round.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.