Tapping noise coming from passenger area?

motormadmarc

Dec 24, 2020
Norfolk, Next To The Sea 🐟
Hi guys.

About 18 months ago I bought a brand new Seat Leon 1 Litre TSI SE Dynamic. But ever since I've owned the car there has been an annoying tapping sound coming from somewhere behind the drivers seat In the passenger area, and this noise Is continuous while the car Is being driven. My first thought was that the tapping sound was one of the rear seat belts flapping and hitting on something, but upon further inspection they seem to be securely fastened Into the provided slot.
So I was just wondering If anybody else may have also experienced this issue and could therefore give me some advice? Cheers lads 🙄

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Have you had a passenger sit in the rear and try to locate the source of the tapping sound while you’re driving? The source of unwanted noises in a car can be very deceptive, often originating from somewhere completely different to where you think they are.

motormadmarc

Dec 24, 2020
Have you had a passenger sit in the rear and try to locate the source of the tapping sound while you’re driving? The source of unwanted noises in a car can be very deceptive, often originating from somewhere completely different to where you think they are.

No, not yet. But as the tapping sound seems to be getting worse, the next time I've got a passenger In the car I'll ask them to sit In the back seat area rather than In the front next to me.

mdr1840

Mar 1, 2022
I had the same issue last year, I booked the car into seat to have them find the noise( slight rattle). When I picked the car up they claimed the parcel shelf was not seated properly and that was the reason,to be honest I thought that was nonsense. As soon as I left the dealership the noise was still there. Anyway I gave up! Then one day I thought I’d try something, I decided to lubricate all the points around the rear seat and parcel shelf and this worked! No more noise. This may not work for you but it did for me.

Reactions: motormadmarc

Deleted member 133989

Had this on my Leon FR and it’s coming from the seats. They are aware of the issue and they make some adjustments to it. It was driving me nuts until I had them sort it out.

motormadmarc

Dec 24, 2020
Had this on my Leon FR and it’s coming from the seats. They are aware of the issue and they make some adjustments to it. It was driving me nuts until I had them sort it out.

Looks like you was right Mick. I took the car for a drive this morning and removed the parcel shelf to start off with just to see If that was the cause of the tapping noise. But no, the noise continued during the journey. So next I folded down the rear seat behind me and drove off. And yes, success, the tapping noise was gone. And for the first time In about 16 months I had a quiet journey with no irritating tapping noise, lol 😀

So I'm now wondering what the main SEAT dealer actually do to the rear seats to stop this irritating noise 🤔

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Looks like you was right Mick. I took the car for a drive this morning and removed the parcel shelf to start off with just to see If that was the cause of the tapping noise. But no, the noise continued during the journey. So next I folded down the rear seat behind me and drove off. And yes, success, the tapping noise was gone. And for the first time In about 16 months I had a quiet ride, lol.

So I'm now wondering what the main SEAT dealer actually do to the rear seats to stop this irritating noise?
You could always try wrapping some insulating tape round the seatback latch. It worked for me on my old Passat.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
The insulating tape wrapped around the rear seat back latch worked for me too when I owned a mk6 Golf 👍. Quick and easy to do and cheap to replace if it ever needs replacing.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Yep, SEAT are missing a trick here; they could offer an official retrofit fix utilising some swanky branded insulating tape.
But then you just know they'd charge 40 quid for it:rolleyes:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Just an update guys. I tried the insulating tape trick this morning and It actually worked. No more irritating tapping noise while driving.

Thanks again for all the replies and advice 👍
Excellent. Send the idea to SEAT and suggest they fit it at the factory:p

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.