Tarox 10 pot calipers and 330mm discs or Hi spec 6 pot calipers and 360mm discs.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
My Audi is off having the first stage of some engine work done at the moment to boost the power a bit. The standard brake setup will not be strong enough and so will up grading. I have been looking around and basically its come down to a Hi Spec 6 pot 360mm or Tarox 10 pot 330mm conversion and before anyone posts it i know both sets are quite extreme and over the top but thats me. I was just wandering if anyone had anything good or bad to say about either kit. Also from a technical point of view which brake design should stop better, six pot calipers with 360mm disc's or ten pot calipers with 330mm disc's if made by the same company using the same pads ?

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
bentaw said:
surely the 10 pot calipers would stop you more due to more contact with pad and disc

I'm no expert but would guess they would run hotter as a consequence, therefore for on track use ducting maybe a good idea.

Devonmikeyboy - would also recommend some of Bill (Badger5) Carbon Metallic pads f you can live with the dust, great improvement to the std set up on an LCR (better feel and sharper braking)

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
let the abs sort it out i guess.

10 pots on 330mm disks does seem OTT..
6 pots on the 360mm does seem more usual.

not a fan of tarox from personal bad experience. (disks n pads)
What options do you have on pads with tarox calipers? Tarox only?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
" Each kit contains 2 ten pistons brake calipers, 2 brake discs including alloy bells, 2 adaptor clamps, 1 set of brake pads and 1 set of brake lines”
I dont know if other make of pads fit bill.I really liked the DS2500 i bought from you last time so i would like to fit them again.Carbon Metallic pads might be really good but dont they eat alloys for a past time? Allards are race prepping two customers cars for the VW cup that have the Tarox 10 pot set up on the front. The calipers look really big plus the the owners of the cars have got very deep pockets with what has been spent on the cars so i thought that they would have done the searching and got some of the best brakes going. Hi Spec are alot cheaper but good brakes are very important to me so i willing to spend the money if need be.

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
I'm willing to put money on those being freebies from Tarox to get some exposure.

I don't like the Tarox stuff either - think its all for show rather than go (or stop in this case)

Fensport have fitted a 10 pot kit to their new demo Celica too. Will ask Adrian next time I see him why he opted for those and if they work.

You fitting 19" wheels then as I doubt 360mm discs fit inside anything smaller.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
chungster said:
I'm willing to put money on those being freebies from Tarox to get some exposure.

I don't like the Tarox stuff either - think its all for show rather than go (or stop in this case)

Fensport have fitted a 10 pot kit to their new demo Celica too. Will ask Adrian next time I see him why he opted for those and if they work.

You fitting 19" wheels then as I doubt 360mm discs fit inside anything smaller.
I doubt that they where freebies as the cars belong to two private entires in the VW cup.They just have the money to spend and they have spent alot of it. I`ve been told that the discs should fit 18" wheels as long as the internal wheel diameter must be the disc size plus a minimum of 50 mm. Hi spec do six pot and 335mm disc set up as well but you only save about two hundred pound so i thought sod it get the 360mm set up.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
What would you recommend then Bill. The tarox kit did seem alot of money to me but the idea of having ten pot calipers was very interesting. I know Alcon have a good name along with AP. Should have thought that the Hi Spec set up would be good enough for "atheistic" road driving.At the end of the day its a road car not a track car.

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
devonmikeyboy said:
.At the end of the day its a road car not a track car.

That's not what Andy said at Allards today when I was speaking about mine - he said yours was a beast. "Spaniels be very afraid" came to mind:D

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Hi-Spec would probably be fine yea... they can use PF disks I believe on their kits too.

AP deliveries suk these days..
thinking about sorting my brakes on the S8 before the ring trip in August. needs better brakes badly.
355x32 AP 6pots

Triple D

maxcars1 said:
That's not what Andy said at Allards today when I was speaking about mine - he said yours was a beast. "Spaniels be very afraid" came to mind:D
All in good time my friend, next year, mine will be a little bit faster, maybe bigger injectors and turbo me thinks ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members