TDI exhaust options

andyspencer

Eat My Soot
May 19, 2008
Birmingham
Has any tdi people on here running anything meaty at the back. Just having a browse and contemplating the idea of it again. Just wondering about the benefits, noise, if its worth the cash, decent prices to pay etc. Any input appreciated :D

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Has any tdi people on here running anything meaty at the back. Just having a browse and contemplating the idea of it again. Just wondering about the benefits, noise, if its worth the cash, decent prices to pay etc. Any input appreciated :D
You don't need a back box at all, just a good size tail pipe say 70mm dia . All dealer try and sell you a back box for diesels [ you can't get away with this if your petrol mind !!] the turbo dampens the exhaust nicely on diesels!!! and helps reduce turbo spool up too. The racing seat tdi's have twin tail pipes of around 80mm dia

Last edited:

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
im a new tdi member to the forum and have been looking at exhausts for a while. would not having a back box still pass an mot or would it need to be replaced prior?

digby130?

pocket rocket
Aug 10, 2008
exeter/london
a couple of guys at www.tdisport.com have changed exhausts and got custom ones and stuff....have a look at tdi_furby, pip_polo, BKR, t.spark (last two are on here) and see what you think! theres a couple more but i cant member their usernames!

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Mine has been de-catted, and i would highly recommend it.

Now the turbo spools quicker and power is more consistent through the rev range.

Not to mention the noise it makes ... wow! Its so much louder, and no longer sounds like a derv also you get a nice turbo whistle. Some people say that its annoying but i quite like it.

If you need anymore info just ask :)

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
MHX was there any problems with censors when you took your cat off? i thought there was a risk problems with the ecu and engine management by de-cat-ing? do you have a video/sound clip of your exhaust now please? :)

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Nope no problems with removing the cat on a derv. Its basically a glorified soot catcher, it has no input on how the engine runs. It only restricts the exhaust flow.

I have a quick video, its not the best and the sound quality isnt amazing but you sort hear how it sounds.
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa184/M1KE1990/?action=view&current=IMG_0029.flv stick with it till 1:30

Edit: i just re-watched that vid and its crap, ill have to do one from outside the car :)

Last edited:

andyspencer

Eat My Soot
May 19, 2008
Birmingham
thanks for the input guys :D im looking to get this done asap. Quick question for you, how much did you pay? What did you have done? just decat?

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
I payed £100 for Pipewerx in lathom to chop the cat out.

...and yes mine only has a de-cat...exhaust wise anyway :)

I tryed an outside vid tonight, its only off the phone so quality still is gash. Can upload if you want to see it though.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
So if i de-catted my 2.0TDi 140, i would have no errors or problems? Just chop it out and on you go?

Just a bit better performance and sound?

Id like sound of that:p

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
So if i de-catted my 2.0TDi 140, i would have no errors or problems? Just chop it out and on you go?

Just a bit better performance and sound?

Id like sound of that:p

Yes mate mine is a 140 too, no errors no problems.

Just get it done, you will love it :)

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Haha, good on you! Im seriously going to check this out too.
Possibly next week for me!

Did they just weld the a straight through pipe in its position?

andyspencer

Eat My Soot
May 19, 2008
Birmingham
I payed £100 for Pipewerx in lathom to chop the cat out.

...and yes mine only has a de-cat...exhaust wise anyway :)

I tryed an outside vid tonight, its only off the phone so quality still is gash. Can upload if you want to see it though.

sounds like a winner to me :D im gonna do it asap :D

btw, mate if you could do that vid itd be appreciated... i know im a cheeky cnut but could you do one with acceleration at full bore too. ;)

soz to be a pain mate, but i think your info would help all us power hungry tdi owners lol :p its all appreciated :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.