TDI exhaust options

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Took mine to a Superflow garage today, as its just at the end of the road where im currently working.

The guy stuck in on the ramp then said he wouldnt touch it. Its too much hassel, and he said "you will have no difference in sound or performance"

Also he said, you need a cat for an MOT. To which i said, its only a smoke test. His reply was, "yeh it is, but they have a sniff the emissions"

So what do people make of it then? Bullshit claims by the garage?

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Took mine to a Superflow garage today, as its just at the end of the road where im currently working.

The guy stuck in on the ramp then said he wouldnt touch it. Its too much hassel, and he said "you will have no difference in sound or performance"

Also he said, you need a cat for an MOT. To which i said, its only a smoke test. His reply was, "yeh it is, but they have a sniff the emissions"

So what do people make of it then? Bullshit claims by the garage?

IMO thats all crap! I took mine to pipewerx in lathom, bit far for some but give them a ring anyway to verify what i say.

They had mine in for about 1hr, there abouts. Got it up in the air took the exhaust off from the back of the turbo to about midway down the car (all one piece), then cut the cat out keeping the flange that bolts onto the turbo. Then sleeved and welded a new piece of SS pipe in, which was angled like the old piece and then flange welded ont the end bolted back up and jobs a good 'un.

As for ''no difference in sound or performance'' thats also not true. The performance difference i.e. BHP or torque may be minimal, but there are definately gains. As you are freeing up alot of exhaust gas that would usually be restricted by the cat. It also reduces pressure on your turbo as the gasses can escape more easily, resulting in slightly faster spool up.
Well for sound you can tell for your self its certainly not quiet on full chat! I will get a proper video up soon as i can.

As for the MOT im 99% sure that they wouldnt put the exhuast gas reader on it, and only do the smoke test like you said. But saying that i dont think mine smells any different from how it used to be.

Im sure people on the the mk1 section have de catted leons anyway and they have passed MOTs fine, Unclefester iirc is one of these and his car sounds really nice too

Last edited:

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Haha, i wasnt believing a thing he said after that. I had originaly gone to get my tracking done, but his prices seemed steep so i ended up walking away.

Will try some other places, see how things go. Its definatly something im looking into.

I think a Milltek down pipe is only £160, so may even be worth getting that?

I dont know, hopefully someone else takes the plunge!! :p

Oh and a good vid would be great!!

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
I did think about the milltek route, but its a different size bore to the standard pipe 2.75" iirc where as the standard is only 2"or 2.25" on the 140's. Either way the sizes would be totally different so you would either have to buy the full milltek 'zaust = £££, or get adaptors made to reduce the size of the decat pipe.

So this i why i did it how it did:) yep im working on the vid the iphone cant capture the sound very well so ill need to get hold of a better camera.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Haha, i wasnt believing a thing he said after that. I had originaly gone to get my tracking done, but his prices seemed steep so i ended up walking away.

Will try some other places, see how things go. Its definatly something im looking into.

I think a Milltek down pipe is only £160, so may even be worth getting that?

I dont know, hopefully someone else takes the plunge!! :p

Oh and a good vid would be great!!

Where abouts are you in Glasgow? I know of a few places that can do a downpipe for your or if you want a full system.
The other option as already mentioned is to get the Milltek system fitted. You can get a reducer that will fit onto your exisiting Cat back system.
Alex

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Cheers Alex.

I stay in the southside, near giffnock. I know of one place, is it C+C in hillington?
But let me know where else.

Im currently down in leeds, for the next week or so, it was a garage down here i tried.

What have you done to your's Alex?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise