TDI FR Traction Control Light

HedgeJumper

Got in the car this morning to drive to work and found that the traction control light stopped on. Have tried pushing the traction control button but the light stops on. A quick boot on the accelerator to check and there is no traction control.

Anbody any ideas? Car is out of warranty now, which is typical, so and DIY answers welcome.

Also can any one recommend a VAGCOM cable and software off ebay or anywhere else?

Cheers,

John

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Sunny Saltcoats, Scotland
Hi John,

Same happened to my 1.9tdi this morning (11th). My car is still under warranty (just!!). Have ran VCDS and I get a fault code on my ABS control module. Seems there is an issue with these failing and its a trip to the dealers. Not a cheap fix. I'll be phoning my dealer in the morning to see whats what. Search the forum for ESP light OR ABS control module. Don't get to disheartened with what you find.

Cheers,

James

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Had this on my vw 2004 bora it turned out to be no more than a stop light blub, hard to beleive

Last edited:

st@rgixxer

GSXR Junkie!!!
Mar 27, 2010
Edinburgh
The TC light came on on my FR TDI a few weeks back.
After much too-ing and fro-ing, found out the ABS control unit was faulty, which was thankfully covered under warranty.

Garage said the unit was around £750 plus their labour to fix!!!!

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Had something very similar on my Mazda 3 (also common on some BMW's) The light stayed on and it turned out to be the ABS pump. Out of warranty it would be £1500 :s

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Sunny Saltcoats, Scotland
Since my last post, i've been to the dealers. They had it on diagnostic to check it out and after about 30 minutes I was told by the receptionist that it was the ABS control unit. It's getting fixed under warranty. Part comes in on Wednesday, car goes in next Tuesday, the earliest I can get a courtesy vehicle. I'll definitely be looking at extending my warranty after this.

steve01

Mine came on last sunday and as its well out of warrenty it cost me £1078

Dangerous Dave

Dec 11, 2006
Had something very similar on my Mazda 3 (also common on some BMW's) The light stayed on and it turned out to be the ABS pump. Out of warranty it would be £1500 :s

It is the same make and model of pump that is used by VAG aswell as Volvo/BMW/Mazda and it has a common fault with an internal pressure sensor failing.

Mine came on last sunday and as its well out of warrenty it cost me £1078

VAG are replacing these for free out of warranty I would contact the dealer that carried out the work and ask them to apply to Seat for a goodwill payment assuming your car has always been serviced at a VAG dealer they should cover the cost.

You can also get the pump repaired now for £350.

http://www.ecutesting.com/seat_toledo___leon___skoda_oct.html

steve01

unfortunatly mine has not always had vag service the previous owners just used local garages

tronski

Jan 6, 2006
I had this on my 07 Leon and following an exchange of mails got them to cover the cost in full despite it being out of warranty and never having been near a SEAT dealer for any form of servicing...

More than happy to share my correspondence with others as I'm pretty confident you will get the cost covered if you take the route I took - in return for a token donation to a charity of your choice ( A fraction of the cost of repair!!). PM me and I'll forward you the correspondence.

Last edited:

rsr

Jul 11, 2005
manchester
Just been to dealer as mine came on last week -06 Leon FR Tdi. I was told I didn't qualify for any contributions from Seat due to age of car. Tronski - any chance you could forward me your correspondence?

Cheers

tronski

Jan 6, 2006
Sure - please PM me your email and I'll mail it to you - don't want to post on here to avoid spam etc.

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
Same on mine went overnight on the 18/08/10. 5 months out of warranty (07 FR tdi) so waiting to hear from dealer as they are contacting SEAT for me. Full dealer service history and only 26000 miles so hopefully ill get something out of them. If not it's £1089 :wtf::cry:

Last edited:

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
Well just heard back from SEAT and they are going to pay 70% of the cost. Pleased with that but just wish it had gone sooner and would have got it fixed for nowt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CupraDaft

Jun 8, 2002
Scotland
Visit site
Well just heard back from SEAT and they are going to pay 70% of the cost. Pleased with that but just wish it had gone sooner and would have got it fixed for nowt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as me. Mine went towards the end of June, car was three years old at the beginning of March. Got the 70%. Phew!!!

neo265

Oct 25, 2004
My light came on a few months back, ABS pressure switch fault. New unit fitted was just under £1000, but even tho it was just out of warranty Seat paid for 70% even tho I had one ind service.

Bad news is my turbo has gone now a few months later. £1750 poorer and no help from Seat.

Had enough of fecking Seat.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members