TDi Leon some issues

jr86

EDIT: Now here is the latest issues where i need help:
What could be wrong now, yellow engine light comes on sometimes, but no fault codes?? First when it came on, was because i unplugged one glow plug wire because it looked like it was loose, that time there was fault code concerning glow plug, but now nothing? It looks like that glow plugs are easy to change? Only that plastic pipe seems to be on my way. Car pops out some heavy diesel cloud and smell when i start car, could it mean bad glow plugs?
And still looking for those brake light wire colors? And please those colors of brake light wires are important to find as soon as possible cause the car needs to be inspected and registered. I am going to try resistors before changing lights to original.

Starting here is the old post:
Hey there, i just bought this 2004 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi with ARL engine, it looks pretty awesome, but has some problems.

16955 Brake Switch (F): Implausible Signal P0571 35 - 10 Intermittent
18062 Please check DTC Memory of instrument cluster P1654 35 - 10 Intermittent
00562 Sensor for oil level/temperature (G266) 30 - 00 Open or short to plus

Problem is, car has led taillights and also led extra brake light. That extra brake is glowing with low voltage all the time, when the power is turned on from key, but it brightens when i press brake pedal, as normal brake lights does also. So the brake lights is kinda working properly, but even replacing that switch and erasing codes with VAG-COM, i can't get that brake switch code off, i just comes back. I quess that there is problems with harness? How should i confirm that and find the solution? Glow light is also blinking in cluster. Car has cruise control but it's not working, i quess it's because of this same problem?

Then what should i do for that DTC Memory of Instrument code? I have checked that clusters plugs are in place and not loose. What else can cause that?

Car is very low at the moment, and i believe that oil level/temp sensor and it's harness is under the engine somewhere? Any help where i can find that right sensor to check the harness atleast?

photobucket.com/albums/y150/sutari/Leon/liitin_zps4b2d26d9.jpg
In this picture you can see that red circled plug, what is it? My car doesn't have that wire in it? Is it serious that it's missing, and if yes, where should that wire come from?

I hope i can find help for all these, cause i need to take it to inpection soon, and it needs to be working. Thanks anyways if someone can give atleast some information.
And sorry my english, it's not perfect but i hope you understand me :rofl:

Here is a picture of the car, if someone is interested :) i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/sutari/Leon/678e5818-2106-4c7c-a71b-7e752609e0b0_zps9fd31be0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jr86

Mine doesn't have an oil level sensor, it's an arl too

Interesting, i just checked under the engine and i can see the sensor itself, but i couldn't see the harness cause i haven't have a change to go under the car fully yet. But why would VAG-COM give that fault code if the sensor is not there??

I have unplugged all tail lights and even that didn't help removing the Brake Switch fault code. How does the wiring go if i measure something with volt meter?

And please tell me that what wire is missing from that part, picture is not from my car photobucket.com/albums/y150/sutari/Leon/liitin_zps4b2d26d9.jpg

jr86

Have you checked the brake lights actually work? Mine failed and I got a glow plug light on the dash....

Yes they are working, as i said, extra brake light is on all the time (when power is switched ON from key) with low voltage, but when i press brake pedal it is glowing with full power. And i think that brake lights in the tail lights does that same, it's hard to say cause it seems to be that brake lights and rear lights are in same leds...i think...

jr86

Double and i can't see delete button? :)

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
When i tried led tail lights in mine glow plug light flashed & when applying brake front side lights came on,when i put the lights on high level brake light was on all the time,they need resistors

Best way to sort it is fit a std set of light clusters that look better anyway

Last edited:

jr86

I understand what you mean and i believe that LED lights confuses cars electronic but, i don't understand that why fault code and glow light won't go off even when i disconnect all led lights?

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
It won't straight away,if you plug std light holders it should clear plus with them unplugged is the same a light not working so would bring the codes up anyway

jr86

Anyone doesn't know nothing about this missing wire???
photobucket.com/albums/y150/sutari/Leon/liitin_zps4b2d26d9.jpg
In this picture you can see that red circled plug, what is it? My car doesn't have that wire in it? Is it serious that it's missing, and if yes, where should that wire come from?

And what are colors of the wires for rear brake lights in back??

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The location of that wire suggests that it is the oil pressure sensor, but you can't have that missing, it would throw an immediate fault.

Here's what my engine bay looks like

ARLengine.jpg

Can you post a picture of your engine bay?

There are at least two different drive shaft types for fwd manual gearbox Leons.

The level/temperature sensor is in the bottom of the sump and the wiring enters from behind the engine, see below.

This is what it looks like, looking forward, with the a/c compressor visible at the front of the engine.

Oiltemp-and-level-1.jpg

That's from my old ASV engine, but my ARL engine has the same sensor in the same position.

Last edited:

jr86

Here is overview of the engine
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/sutari/BoxFiles_13041413010114_zps7b5253de.jpg

here is the missing wire location
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/sutari/BoxFiles_13041413010151_zps8511edcc.jpg

Sorry i can't post IMG codes yet cuz im a noob, just copy paste and you should see it :)

I surely am missing that wire but no fault codes, only that god damn glow light because of brake switch fault code. I was trying to get it off with resistors but i can't figure out that which wires are for the brake lights in the trunk...:cry:

And yes i forgot to update that brake switch fault is the only code at the moment, oil level/temp sensor was just missing harness, i plugged it back and the Cluster DTC and oil level/temp fault codes went off.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The location of that wire suggests that it is the oil pressure sensor, but you can't have that missing, it would throw an immediate fault.

Both these faults are to do with that sensor

so it has thrown a fault.

You can either fix the thing or you can code it out with vagcom, it's in the soft coding for the clocks. Here's a list of the soft codings.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/167146/1736297.aspx#1736297

This code

is what you get if you unplug the sensor which suggests it probably is a broken wire

Last edited:

jr86

Both these faults are to do with that sensor

so it has thrown a fault.

You can either fix the thing or you can code it out with vagcom, it's in the soft coding for the clocks. Here's a list of the soft codings.

uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/167146/1736297.aspx#1736297

This code

is what you get if you unplug the sensor which suggests it probably is a broken wire

Like i said in my last post, i fixed those already...

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Seatmann, the oil level/temperature sensor is not the same as the oil pressure sensor.

If the oil pressure sensor is not connected then the red oilcan light on the dash panel should light up.

jr86, the second picture shows where that wire should be connected.

BoxFiles_13041413010151_zps8511edcc.jpg

You need to find out where the wire has gone.

And why the oil pressure light isn't on on the dash.

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Yeh Muttley, thats the one I was on about, the one in the bottom.of the sump. I swapped my engine but haven't swapped the sump with sensor over so had all the fault code stuff relating to it. Did a pile of googling to figure out that instrument dtc thing before finding out its to do with the sensor. In the end I just coded it out for now till I get round to swapping sumps later.

jr86

Seatmann, the oil level/temperature sensor is not the same as the oil pressure sensor.

If the oil pressure sensor is not connected then the red oilcan light on the dash panel should light up.

jr86, the second picture shows where that wire should be connected.

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/sutari/BoxFiles_13041413010151_zps8511edcc.jpg

You need to find out where the wire has gone.

And why the oil pressure light isn't on on the dash.

Ok, how should i proceed finding that out? :-o Cause i can't see any unplugged wire in my engine room, i looked under and from top. I didn't understand that where that wire should come for that oil pressure sensor? Language barrier or you didn't explain :p