TDI Loss of Power/Boost Pressure? - Help Please!?

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
Hi there,

This is one for the Cupra/FR TDi peeps.

I know this is a Seat forum but this is a query relating to my mk4 Golf GT TDi PD 150, which is essentially the same car as the Cupra/FR TDi so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.. :blink:

The car is an 02 plate and generally runs great to say it has upwards of 100k miles on the clock. The car has had some problems with tired boost hoses and I've had to replace one or two of them due to apparent splits/leaks etc.

However recently the car seems to have developed a problem where when it gets up to temperature its just goes really flat and lifeless. Its almost like its gone into 'limp home mode' and there's just no power and acceleration is practically non-existent.

You can still hear the turbo spinning (so I'm pretty sure its working) and there's no excessive smoke or anything out of the rear, so I'm pretty confident that the turbo itself hasn't blown (though I could be wrong).. there are no warning lights on the dashboard either to suggest that the ECU is restricting power or anything either :shrug:

I've had a look underneath and I've been told that one of the intercooler pipes is on its last legs and that the cr4ppy VAG clips that hold it on are not the best (why can't we all just use jubilee clips?). Could this be the problem?

Also, when fiddling around I've noticed that the intercooler pipes are really squishy and soft. Should these not be pretty strong, sturdy reinforced rubber pipes? Could the kn4ckered pipe(s) be collapsing when hot and thus restricting air flow?

Another thing that has happened on a couple of occasions is that the car has stalled and then will not start for a few minutes, no matter how hard I try. Whilst it coughs and splutters as I turn the key refusing to fire I get loads of smoke billowing out of the exhaust. Then after leaving it for a few minutes, it starts fine and is a very smoky for a few minutes until the excess fuel is burned off.

Is my turbo shot then or would a boost leak cause starting problems? :shrug: If it is the turbo, this would seem strange because when the car is cool it pulls like a train. Could it be the EGR valve that needs cleaning? Or something else?

Also, do the Cupra TDI 150s/Golf GT TDI PD 130/150s have a diesel particulate filter? If so, could this be clogged and need cleaning out?

Sorry for the long post - but if anyone could shed some light on what is going on then it would be a great help.

J:)

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
Good to hear the car doesn't have the DPF. They are the invention of the devil [:@]

If there were boost leak(s) caused by dodgy hoses, would the VAG.Com pick this up? If so, what would it detect?

Cheers,

J:)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.