TDI miles/tank

skoov

Nov 12, 2004
Derbyshire
www.hpieurope.com
I fill it up until the pump clicks and then top up to the nearest quid! :D

How low do you let it go? the warning light comes on at 350ish miles and I run it down so it's barely reading in the red which is way after the computer says 0 miles remaining...

It's seems the same on Ultimate, Tesco, etc...

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
skoov said:
I fill it up until the pump clicks and then top up to the nearest quid! :D
Sounds like you're not venting then. Look for a little rubber nipple in the neck of the filler pipe and when you push it you should hear the air in the system coming out. Have a search here for venting if that still doesn't make sense. :)

skoov

Nov 12, 2004
Derbyshire
www.hpieurope.com
Chemical Al said:
you reset your computer each time you fill?

Nope, only the trip under the speedo each time I fill up.

OK I'll try the venting when I next fill up. Surely my fuel gauge would read under full if it wasn't filling to the top wouldn't it? It seems to go for 70ish miles reading full, does this mean if I squeeze £10 more fuel in, then it'll go for 170 miles and still read full? Not that I'll too bothered about that!

Thanks for the replys! :)

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
skoov said:

OK I'll try the venting when I next fill up. Surely my fuel gauge would read under full if it wasn't filling to the top wouldn't it?
Not really as the system contains air in the pipework which is what you're venting out and replacing with fuel.

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
skoov said:

if your not reseting the computer then your average mpg will either be your last trip or your average sice it was last reset depending on whit setting you have it on.

and because of this you are not getting an average over the tank of fuel.

ie you average is 50.3 sometimes you may get 400miles othertimes you will be getting 600

if that makes sense?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I'd usually get nearly 200 miles out of mine before it moved off full :)

600 to a tank would take some effort, typical for me was around 500.
I did achieve very high 600's on a determined eco run, but that's really hard to achieve. I think someone did just beat my record and get about 700, can't remember who now...but hats off to them, the bar's quite high now :D

sssstew

Editing your spelling
yep as the others have said, brim it properly (ie vent and look into the pipe and fill till you can see its full not just till the pump clicks) then reset your trip and do a run till near empty then fill up again in the same way. Look at how much u put in and then you can work out mpg from that.

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
don't worry average i get in my remapped tdi cupra is about 37 but do drive very brisky using all my horses and when driving gently get up to 45 but its boring!

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
I dont have a picture buts its easy to find.
As you look into the fill-tank its down about 2 inches and its on the right hand side. Its about 2cm long as pokes out sideways. Its just a wee plastic valve that gets pushed in when you screw in your cap after filling up to let the air out.
With Venting All you will be doing is using this valve to manually let the air out.

I can always get about 10 litres more in doing this.
The most I have got from one tank was 683 (At one stage I thought I was on for over 700! Not bad for mostly town driving and slow stop-start rush-hour traffic) Thats a one-off and it was very hard to resist speeding up!

I now know once the computer says 0 miles left it is possible to do 70 but I found out at my cost and got stranded after running out. Il not be doing that again! With a petrol car you can normally get it going again for another few miles but not with this diesel, got it moving another 100 yards to pull in and that was hard! ANyway I got 570 from that tank though I was not trying to be economical and was mostly spirited driving....

Civic_Legend

Jun 7, 2005
Ash
Hmm, the best I've ever got is 475 miles and the average I'd say is about 400 - but then it is remapped and I'm not sparing with the loud pedal. I do utterly brim it with the venting method and run it til about 5 miles past 0 miles on the computer... I'd push it further but I don't fancy getting stranded a la Snoop. You can really go that far after 0 miles??

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
It costs me between £50-£53 to fill up completely and thats only normal BP Diesel @ about 92.9p/litre.
Yeah I did 70 miles after the computer said 0 miles but I wont be doing anymore than 30 in future!

It is possible to get a LOT of miles from a tank, but its so boring (Not supposed to drive these cars slow like that for all of the time!)

On average I would expect to get about 450-500 miles with Venting and around 380-400 miles filling up normally.

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
£53!!!

fook me, the most i'v ever put in is £43 (91.9p/L) that was with venting,

It takes to long and i get bored so the most i put in is 10 gallonish

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise