Tdi Warm Up Time

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Just need opinions on other diesel owners.

How long does it take for a tdi warm up, mainly the coolant.?

the alhambra takes ages atleast half hour driving. full boost here and there.
Plus went to the car wash waiting (20mins wait), with heater on, the coolant droppped from 85 to 65-70 degress. is this normal. no fault code foir the temp sensor. Driving it stays 85+ and 90 on full boost.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Yup mine is same as OP's.

Seems to take ages to warm up and on cold days or sat stationary I can watch my temps drop down again.

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Same here, 15 - 25 mins on some days, especially if sat in traffic.

If i'm straight onto an A-Road its like 5-10 mins before I can open it up a bit...

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
When I leave my town I sit about 50 straight away from cold, accelerating slowly up to that and staying around that - mines warms up to the middle marker in about 15 minutes.

The oil temperaure takes about half an hour though.

Interior warms up very quickly for a diesel car, takes about 5 minutes and I'm nice and warm.

lewism3

The engine warms up quicker with the heater control set to cold, but who wants to do that on a frosty morning!!

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
In this weather my oil sometimes barely makes it above 60 degC, and the coolant not much above 65 degC. All this while my gauge tells me it hits 90..... typical.....

Does take a good 10 minutes on cold mornings though - with a leisurely warm-up to be kind to the engine.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Thats good to know :) good to see you all waiting till its warm before you open her up ;)

It's one reason I can run my kind of power levels without worrying about reliability. It's the same reason I don't boost it up my street and pull up by my house and just switch right off. :D

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
keep in mind guys that oil warms up slower so don't nail it as soon as water temp hits 90 as oil might still be colder... another few minutes would probably do fine.

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
If you ride with the climate control/fan switched off - the engine will warm quicker as you arent taking the nice warm air away from the engine. But as said - mine takes ages to warm up - and if i turn climate control off - drive til it's nearly warm and turn it on again - the temp will drop. :( I don't normally get "normal" running temp going into work and back. (20 mins - 4 miles).

Toledo_stew

Normally it takes 10 mins up the motorway for my car to warm up to 90 degrees.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Half my journeys it rarely gets to 90. Rock steady when it does. Seems to cool down very quickly too.
My Alfa V6 is at 90 within 2-3 miles/5 mins. Guess thats why mpg < 18mpg around town!

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
I know the new Fiat Panda goes from starting the car - to warm air coming out the vents in 16 seconds! :-o About the only thing it's good for I bet!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members