Technology Pack worth it?

Jimlad86

Mar 30, 2010
Gloucestershire
Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to canvas some opinions...

Im in the market for a used Leon mk3 and currently have my sights set on a SE 1.6 Diesel. (not the most exciting i know, but i like the MPG and softer ride over the FR. I have a Mk4 Ibiza FR and the suspension is spine shattering!

Just wondering what you opinions on the Technology pack are (Sat nav, LED nights, DAB radio)?

In the used market, SE's with this tech pack seem to be around 1k extra. Is it worth it? I certainly like the look of the LED's.

James

Last edited:

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
The Tech pack is very good, I'm not overly fussed about the Sat Nav but LED's and DAB are great. Regarding the "extra cost", it's a buyers market at the moment and I'm sure you could reduce any price. The new deals on the Leon are hurting the used prices a little, but set your budget and you should get a good deal, remember a seller needs you more than you need them.

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Any ideas why there are so many SE's out there without tech packs? I thought they came free with new leons?

Not at first, it was a pricey option, free Tech pack was offered a bit later

Last edited:

shackbleep

Oct 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
The Tech pack is very good, I'm not overly fussed about the Sat Nav but LED's and DAB are great..

Seconded :)

This is the first car I've owned with a DAB radio and it is awesome. The LED headlights are a nice feature. The SatNav interface doesn't look nearly as nice as a TomTom IMHO, so not that bothered about it.

jcbmally

Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Seconded :)

This is the first car I've owned with a DAB radio and it is awesome. The LED headlights are a nice feature. The SatNav interface doesn't look nearly as nice as a TomTom IMHO, so not that bothered about it.

You will never go back to "standard" radio now :funk:

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
Wouldn't want to be without DAB - also bluetooth hands free calling.

The sat nav is nothing special as others have said, but for me, it's better than a) nothing, and b) trailing cables all over with a tomtom or similar.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
I don't find my FR to have a particularly harsh ride, but I did get the dealer to take the 18s off and swap for 17s as I didn't want to bounce along and don't fling it around too much. And he was happy to do that as he could sell a car with 18s at a premium...
I'd think hard about going for the FR rather than a base-spec SE if you can....

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
I don't find my FR to have a particularly harsh ride, but I did get the dealer to take the 18s off and swap for 17s as I didn't want to bounce along and don't fling it around too much. And he was happy to do that as he could sell a car with 18s at a premium...
I'd think hard about going for the FR rather than a base-spec SE if you can....

Or like me go for the se and spec it up to what YOU want, I am delighted with my se and the softer ride as I to found the front suspension a bit too firm for my old bones lol:lol:

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Or like me go for the se and spec it up to what YOU want, I am delighted with my se and the softer ride as I to found the front suspension a bit too firm for my old bones lol:lol:

Yep, me too. My 'base spec' SE cost over £20k by the time I finished with the options... There isn't much you can't add that an FR offers, except the bits I didn't want!

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I felt the same after trying the FR.

My wife found the ride just to hard. As far as I can see the main reason for getting the FR is the option of the more powerful engines. Apart from that it offered me nothing I couldn't get on the SE.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
led lights, dab radio and hands free, wouldn't go without. the nav comes in handy and also good for music streaming using bluetooth

gamer555

Dec 6, 2008
Brussels
My 184 FR with DCC Comfort mode and 18 inch wheels is much more smoother than my previous 1P Sport Up with 17 inch wheels.

As for the Tech pack, its great. The Navi is okish, especially the dynamic route that helped me avoid some traffic jams. Plus it comes with the nicer screen and animated MFD.

easybreeze80

Aug 31, 2014
I can't believe anyone would think the FR is a harsh ride, it's completely soft IMO

Tech pack is a a must, it'll standout more when it comes to resale time.

Jimlad86

Mar 30, 2010
Gloucestershire
Thanks for all the advise guys. Im definately going to go for one with the tech pack after reading your comments.

Just need to save up a few more pennies. 63 reg SE with Tech packs are around the 13/14k mark. Think i will be in a position to buy in Jan / Feb time. I really cant wait as the garage recons my Ibizas fly wheel is on its way out and thats £800 to fix!

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Clearly the tech pack is very popular in the UK, mainly because it was effectively a free gift!

It seems to be a very different case if you have to pay full price for it.

Here in Spain, you see loads of Leon Mk 3s, but I have yet to see one with LED lights!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.