temp gauge weird readings.?

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
Dont no if anyone else has this been my first winter with the cupra...
couldnt find much on this when searched...

i noticed recently when its cold outside like 10 degrees or below my engine temperature gauge will not go upto the 90 mark sits there fine when its warm outside not overheating or anything but will go up and down between the quarter and the 90 mark when driving...

Dont think it could be a sensor or anything as it runs fine when its warm outside

could it be that my fans are contantly on or somthing :shrug:

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Could be the following: Thermostat (if the car sits at 90 when in traffic then this is probably the cause) Temp sender (will cause the fans to operate or send the wrong temps to the gauge) hope this helps

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
Yea cheers mate...

Just had another search found a thread on it before from cupramillo...

Thought it would be somthing like that aswell as it being stupidly cold outside...

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
I sat at idle in the winter in my passat diesel that had at the time when it was 0C in the day with the heater on full and watch the temp gauge drop from 90C down to 70C and stay there!

Nov 10, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Definately not right fella, my mates Cupra has very similar issue, I had a spare green top coolant temp sensor after i'd replaced mine (even though it was fine) so put it on his one and made no difference.

I remember from my first Cupra, the CTS will show up as a fault code - you got vag com?

In my friends case, it's going to be the thermostat, stuck at open will take an age to heat up, and often fluctuate during driving, probably going to fit it this weekend or the next, so if your not sorted by then, i'll let you know the outcome...

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
seanyk.....not got vag-com...that sounds similar to mine so it will proberly be the thermostat aswell. got green top coolent sensor aswell but runs spot on when warm...so does seem to point towards thermostat...they around £15 from seat iirc from what i read...

peter_cupra197

Jun 29, 2008
cambridgeshire
i also have this problem is very inconsistant though never took much notice if due to cold weather though, changed the coolant temp sender and all seemed fine couple of weeks after driving around up to temp pulled into a garage abd noticed it was on 70 strange think i will replace thermostat and let you know.

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Yes i remember that thread i started. mine still does it. More so when its cold. Sometimes on my drive home, 10miles approx it wont heat up for a good 30mins solid driving and goes down more so when on duals and motorway runs. But it does warm up faster when sitting in traffic. It cant be that the cooling on these cars is that good, even with my forge fmic. Its never overheated though which is good!

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
with mine within 10 mins of driving the car is to 90C then the needle never moves while the engine is on.

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
cheers for that SEANYK may have to take a look a gettin one.....CUPRAMILLO did u not try changing the temp sender or anything to see if it made any difference..? Mine never overheated eaither never gone past 90 even durin hard drive in the summer...

May 29, 2008
Aberdeenshire
morning guys....sorry for the hi-jack

car had to get towed home by the AA lastnight, temp went thorugh the roof!

The mechanic, checked block temps etc, coolant leveles, water pump and then jumped into the car and automaticly said "Thermostat"......would he be right in saying that??

Thanks in advance!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.