temperature went right up to 115'c

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
As some of you are aware i have just got myself my first leon cupra. I got the car last night from a dealer and its been nothing but troubles.
Well today i drove it 6 miles and the temperature went right up to 115'c and the red light and alarm started ringing. Pulled onto hard shoulder and RAC came out to look. First thing he noticed was fans are not kicking in over 90'c. They wsa running when i stopped at 115'c though. Once it cooled we tried it again and gave it a sniff test for H/G this was fine. Put air con on and it idled at bang on 90'c for over 45 mins.
Drove it 2 miles up the road not exceeding 3000 revs and it climbed up to about 95-98'c so i stopped and had to get towed home.
Car leaks water in footwells(well abolutely soaked to be honest)
Fog lights not working.

Oh the joys. Anyone else have these problems?

Cheers
Graham

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi, leaky footwell is door seals gone or pollen filter cover not fitted right.
Door seals easy and if you do a search there are threads on here with all the info with photos to do a diy fix, not hard.
Pollen filter just need to put it together properly i think.
On a rainy day do you find water on the door cills, if so then it's the doors.
Good luck with the fix.:)

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
Thanks i will have a look at it. Being from a dealer i should have a case on my side to get it sorted for nothing courtesy of them. It's the hassle and gut feeling i have of the car now considering i only picked it up about 23hours ago

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Fog lights could be bulbs or pinched wire, have you checked fuse?
Over heating not so good, and I'm not mechanic so don't ask me.
what year and millage mate?

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
the light turns green once its on but the light wont work. I guess its a fuse so not too worried about that. I have looked into overheating on the search function and i got the same symptons as someone else on here which is a water pump i guess. The Cam Belt only got changed last month i believe. Oh well garage will need to do it again...

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
depending on age and millage, water pumps prone to fail and watery footwell almost everyone on here suffers at some stage, Both ultra common with mk1 Leon,
So no in my opinion if you like the car keep it.

Edit, Dave you beat me to it.

Dec 19, 2006
See if the dealership will sort it out for you as you did only buy it the other day and like said before if you get that done then you will have a good car ;-)

Binksy

Leon Cupra
Nov 27, 2009
Norwich
I would say water pump for over heating.. Although we had a user just recently who had the same problem "over heating" and this happened to be his thermostat.

Just take it back m8 tell them to check water pump and thermostat and to fit 2 new door seals cos of leaks, that's your front since the back are easier todo your self.. :).

Good luck m8

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
Thanks everyone i feel more comfortable now. I love the car its by far the best i have had out of the number of cars i have had. I will get the dealer to sort the problems out and keep the car i think.
Regarding the wet footwell....Is it the seals behind the door cards or the black rubbery door seals aroung where the door closes?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Thanks everyone i feel more comfortable now. I love the car its by far the best i have had out of the number of cars i have had. I will get the dealer to sort the problems out and keep the car i think.
Regarding the wet footwell....Is it the seals behind the door cards or the black rubbery door seals aroung where the door closes?

behind the cards.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net

Seals behind the 'carrier panel' that's behind the doorcard.

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
Well car got put on the back of a flatbed recovery lorry last night. Back to the dealers to get a new cambelt kit with tensioners and water pump. New door seals, Sort the fog lights out to. Roll on tuesday when im due to get it back. Can't wait to drive it again. Having it for just 1 night is such a big tease lol.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Good luck! Hope it gets sorted properly. Got mine just last week, apart from the worse-than-useless rear wiper (which I replaced with the Fabia parts today) mine seems pretty mint. You'll love it when it's all working nice.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Id try and get rid of as it sounds a bit of a pup. Who knows how long the temp issue has been going on and if there is any damage to the head etc from repeatedly overheating.

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
Id try and get rid of as it sounds a bit of a pup. Who knows how long the temp issue has been going on and if there is any damage to the head etc from repeatedly overheating.

I thought that myself...I driven it 100 miles all was fine. Then after that it overheated everytime so im guessing its just started on me. I still got 3months all parts warranty so we will see