Test drove an RS3

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
So, I decided to test drive an RS3 this afternoon. The 367 ps one. It didn't have the DCC. It felt quit softly sprung, although I didn't get it on the twisty bits to really challenge it. The interior isn't great. I actually prefer the Cupra interior. The dash had a similar look as the back of an airplane seat. Most importantly, the performance isn't much better. Off the is line easier (although I'm on shitty potenzas atm) and on the straights it's nominally improved. Having been in a friend's car with a JB1 it actually felt slower than it did. The RS3 has big Brembos, but the perhaps weight seemed to render them less effective? Disappointing really. I can see why there's a 400 PS one coming. I'd ben toying with the idea of either an RS3 or the Cupra 300 ST 4x4, if it has a decent power hike, for my next car. I guess I'll test drive the Cupra 300 ST 4x4 when it comes out and se if there's any point in changing at all.

Last edited:

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Cheers

Great post. Makes me happy to be driving a cupra ;)

Glad you liked it. I also took the sales guy out for a spin in the Cupra afterwards, over the same route, and he seemed impressed with it. As a matter of courtesy more than anything I asked him to email me a quote for the RS3 with a PX figure for the Cupra. It's the same age (both first half of 2015) and they had it listed at 38K. I still haven't received an email about it yet. I've a feeling they'll ask for something ridiculous, like another 20K on top of the Cupra. I pretty much can safely say that if I change it's not going to be for the Audi. High hopes for the 300, although it could be a case of throwing bags of cash away in that case too unless they do something a little special with it.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Audi's trademark is really an emphasis on "easy" speed for the average person and I think the RS3 certainly looks to deliver that. It's hard to deny that the RS3, with a fully achievable 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds, is markedly faster than the Cupra. It also has a glorious 5 cylinder engine note which to my ears is pretty damn fine.

Having said that, all the reviews I have seen suggest it's less involving than the Golf R which in turn is less involving than a Cupra... I guess VAG want to differentiate their brands which they seem to do very well.

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Off the line entirely hassle free

Off the line entirely hassle free & indeed rapid, which is a marked improvement over the Cupra. It was when going it didn't pull as hard as I'd expected. Like I said, less kick than my friend's Cupra with a JB1. I was pretty surprised as the JB1 fitted Cupra gives away 20 PS to it. Further to that, my Cupra didn't really feel like a slouch at all in comparison to the RS3. Underwhelmed. Perhaps the lack of DCC did it no favours? Steering completely devoid of feel too. It grips, but you just don't feel what's going on, at all.

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
The 0-60 times of these haldex based 4wd cars is misleading with regards to their rolling performance. You do still get better traction than a fwd car accelerating from say 30mph but there's is increased weight and additional transmission loss.

I would be willing to bet that the 300 St 4x4 will be slightly slower than the fwd version on the motorway slip road GP.

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Friend had a revo'd one with a full milltek,it was evil.Even with four of us it pulled like a train.

I'v seen footage of a 500 bhp version that just looked mental, which half prompted my interest, but it seems you must have to get hone the thing to make it fun. I'd imagine whatever Revo did to the thing made it more like the car it should have left the factory like.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
So, I decided to test drive an RS3 this afternoon. The 367 ps one. It didn't have the DCC. It felt quit softly sprung, although I didn't get it on the twisty bits to really challenge it. The interior isn't great. I actually prefer the Cupra interior. The dash had a similar look as the back of an airplane seat. Most importantly, the performance isn't much better. Off the is line easier (although I'm on shitty potenzas atm) and on the straights it's nominally improved. Having been in a friend's car with a JB1 it actually felt slower than it did. The RS3 has big Brembos, but the perhaps weight seemed to render them less effective? Disappointing really. I can see why there's a 400 PS one coming. I'd ben toying with the idea of either an RS3 or the Cupra 300 ST 4x4, if it has a decent power hike, for my next car. I guess I'll test drive the Cupra 300 ST 4x4 when it comes out and se if there's any point in changing at all.

I played with a new RS3 up the motorway slip road the other week, 30mph to 90mph. It was in front of me. I have a tuning box, approx 340bhp and 330 lb /ft. I was right up its arse and had to back off three times, otherwise I'd have gone into the back of it. It certainly sounded nice though.

Impressive cars these Cupra's.

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Impressive.

I played with a new RS3 up the motorway slip road the other week, 30mph to 90mph. It was in front of me. I have a tuning box, approx 340bhp and 330 lb /ft. I was right up its arse and had to back off three times, otherwise I'd have gone into the back of it. It certainly sounded nice though.

Impressive cars these Cupra's.

Impressive. It's what I'd suspected. I'd been in my friend's JB1 car a month or so earlier, so it wasn't back to back. I actually had the sales guy out in my car immediately after the RS3 to show him the difference, also so he could see the car was in perfect nick. He was quite impressed with my stock 280 ST DSG.

Not got an email quote as yet. I'll phone Monday out of curiosity.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.