Thai's grey mk1 Cupra R

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
What about a dummy cat welded over your downpipe??
Oh and not good news on the brakes, hope you get it sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That works on a diesel but doesn't swing with the petrol variants unfortunately.

I wish I hadn't asked them to take it for its MOT now as the testing centre they use just down the road is very straight laced lol

At least know the car has been inspected properly I guess.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: bruceR

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
The hand brake cable may be over adjusted back it off and see if the arms sit back on the stops
As for the brakes I would top the fulid level up start at the rear offside open the bleed with a bottle with some fulid and a pipe in it and the other end off the pipe on the bleed nipple and open it then turn the piston back in and see if you get any air out off them repeat for the other rear and then move on to the front with the Brembos start with the outside bleed nipple and push both the pistons back home and then do the inside bleed nipple leave something in the outside to stop them from moving back out and same on the other side front till you see no air coming out off any the calipers re pump the brake pedal back up amd repeat if air was seen if no air was seen is the pedal now better too the fulid level back up

I believe you're right about the handbrake been over adjusted initially as I took quite a few turns off the lever yesterday before winding the rear calipers back.
After id pumped them back up again on the pedal I certainly didn't need to add as much tension to the handbrake lever and both caliper arms appear to be sitting correctly now so I reckon that part is sorted now.
But yeah I reckon another full bleed is in order now and I'll take what you said on board and try that with all the pistons pushed back in on each corner.
I'm particularly suspecting air trapped in the rears actually as ive changed their mounting positions so may have caused an air lock seeing as the bleed nipples aren't in the exact same location anymore.
I read a post a little while ago how someone had to unbolt and hang the calipers upright and rebleed them in this position so the bleed nipples were at the highest point in order to remove any last remnants of trapped air.

What makes things more difficult now is that I've just cleared out my barn so now don't have the luxury of a place to work on it at my disposal and in my own time.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
You also when turning them back in get the bleed nipple higher so that should help just remember to top up the fulid when done also if you have new pads in you can remove one and refit then pump the pedal back up and keep on checking to see if it’s at least half way out and then repeat when it’s all the way back shut the nipple and refit pad and caliper

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Although nothing has been done since the MOT I thought I'd swing by the farm to check up on the car seeing as it's parked out in the yard now until I can get the time to sort out the cat and brakes.
I'm glad I did as the car cover had blown off and was tucked into a bush across the yard FFS!
Inevitably this meant the car was now dirty again

On the plus side it fired up lovely and ticked over very smoothly.
I also drove it around the farm briefly to clear the surface rust off the brake discs which had quickly formed.

Engine bay was still pretty though...
a2a704703f589cc9a795158a19d5bfd0.jpg
d10057bbb071cee73cbf3f85e9c3de0f.jpg
f7722864cd0509797a51f71dd349d67d.jpg

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
New Magnaflow 200 cell sports cat arrived last week so as soon as I've got the brakes sorted I'll take the car to the local custom exhaust place to have this welded in.

I went for the larger unit with the following dimensions:

Inlet Diameter: 3"
Outlet Diameter: 3"
Overall Length: 9.75"
Body Width: 5"

Far from cheap but these are rated up to 450bhp so gives me plenty of headroom.
eb3125645d9911b16b3233272d28086d.jpg
8a963507a76508dba77886e6c23d8628.jpg
42165fba65a82a74f5547e5f6376c411.jpg

Reactions: Legojon and Sparkie

Chris-cupra R

Jul 25, 2012
Durham
Just read the whole thread from the start. Amazing work! Alot of time and dedication has obviously went into it. Hopefully you get the brakes issues etc sorted soon. It's very rare I see any mk1's on the road these days

Reactions: Thai-wronghorse

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Just read the whole thread from the start. Amazing work! Alot of time and dedication has obviously went into it. Hopefully you get the brakes issues etc sorted soon. It's very rare I see any mk1's on the road these days
Nice one, it's always good to hear that someone has taken the time to read my drivel.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
New Magnaflow 200 cell sports cat arrived last week so as soon as I've got the brakes sorted I'll take the car to the local custom exhaust place to have this welded in.

I went for the larger unit with the following dimensions:

Inlet Diameter: 3"
Outlet Diameter: 3"
Overall Length: 9.75"
Body Width: 5"

Far from cheap but these are rated up to 450bhp so gives me plenty of headroom.
eb3125645d9911b16b3233272d28086d.jpg
8a963507a76508dba77886e6c23d8628.jpg
42165fba65a82a74f5547e5f6376c411.jpg

have you had an MOT with this fitted yet? Looks like we've got the same one!

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Morning.
Just got to page 10 and my eyes have gone square looking at my screen for so long.

People need to read this thread to appreciate the amount of work thats gone into your car. Its crazy.

I would only do what youve done if my leon was a 2nd car.
You must have a very understanding missus (well done on that alone lol).

I hope my engine never goes bang, i couldn't cope with that but in your case, every cloud.....
Hope you got some decent money back on the red one.

Ill be back to this thread soon.

Cheers Rich

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Wouldn't mind trying to get one of them covers for the side. Also need to get the battery cover.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Ok just read the lot.
All i can say is rather you than me.
Its fort you all the way.
I didnt think these cars could cause so much trouble.
Looks like you're nearly there though and hopefully you'll have it done by the time were all allowed out to play again.

A great read though and i now fully appreciate how much you know about these cars.

Rich

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Ok it's been a fair ole while since I posted on here as quite honestly nothing has happened the past couple of months.

The combination of Christmas, family responsibilities, the relocation of my workplace all on top of the poxy covid restrictions etc it's simply meant any car related stuff has been shelved.

A few weeks ago I did manage to rebleed the entire braking system...
Not a single bubble was produced from each of the 4 calipers but I did succeed in drawing a bit more from the master cylinder.
This in turn made the car drivable, they're far from perfect but I did give me the opportunity to give it a proper run and full shakedown (private road obvs) - Fvck me it's quick!

There does appear to be a bit of lag initially which I don't remember before but Holy crap once it hits boost its like a missile.

I've since bought a Sealey VS820 brake bleeder at a bargain price so will have another go at the brakes when I can along with cycling the ABS pump using VCDS.

Reactions: Scotty_b

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Ok just read the lot.
All i can say is rather you than me.
Its fort you all the way.
I didnt think these cars could cause so much trouble.
Looks like you're nearly there though and hopefully you'll have it done by the time were all allowed out to play again.

A great read though and i now fully appreciate how much you know about these cars.

Rich

Morning.
Just got to page 10 and my eyes have gone square looking at my screen for so long.

People need to read this thread to appreciate the amount of work thats gone into your car. Its crazy.

I would only do what youve done if my leon was a 2nd car.
You must have a very understanding missus (well done on that alone lol).

I hope my engine never goes bang, i couldn't cope with that but in your case, every cloud.....
Hope you got some decent money back on the red one.

Ill be back to this thread soon.

Cheers Rich

Thank you for taking the time to read it in its entirety, I do try to be as through as possible to make it as interesting and informative as I can.

In regards of the missus...not a huge problem considering we split ages ago BUT I do have commitments and time constraints due to my young daughter.

As for the red donor LCR outlay, all good as I regularly break these cars so more than got my return on that particular one.

Reactions: Rich.T

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Wouldn't mind trying to get one of them covers for the side. Also need to get the battery cover.
The coolant bottle cover is from an Audi S3 8L and virtually a straight bolt on addition.
Installing the matching battery cover is a little more involved and I'm still working on refining the fit on this one.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
P.S. I've just spent a stupid amount of money on parts I really didn't need and have no idea when I'll fit but with a fresh remap I'll be in the realms of 400bhp but hey ho

Last edited:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
P.S. I've just spent a stupid amount of money on parts I really didn't need and have no idea when I'll fit but with a fresh remap I'll in the realms of 400bhp but hey ho

Come on you have to spill the beans - and photos! We need something to keep us going in lockdown!

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Now ive read it I'll keep an eye for updates.
400hp? That'll suprise a few people 😁

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Ok seeing as my last post appears to have generated some curiosity I may as well continue...

So as many of you that have followed the thread for a while you'll know that my donor engine came with a Mamba K04 hybrid turbo and Relentless Pro4 manifold.
In all fairness they were / are both performing perfectly well and still relatively new but since the transplant I was never 100% happy with the position the manifold placed the turbo and downpipe.
Very limited space and coincidentally meant I had to fabricate a spacer for the dogbone mount to tilt the engine slightly away from the steering rack and bulkhead, certainly not ideal.
Anyway after many months of it playing on the back of mind I decided I'd attempt to source a ported Chinafold manifold to resolve the clearance issue.
Also the more I looked into K04 frame turbo manifolds (or the sheer lack of decent aftermarket options) I became very quite obvious that many people run into problems running the Relentless ones.
Most notably been with them cracking or snapping!

Several months further down the line and continued failure to source a suitable replacement I came across an almost new and complete Badger 5 AET380 K04 hybrid turbo package which included a enlarged & port matched Chinafold manifold and Badger 5 V2 80mm TIP.

My train of thought was if I was going to the trouble of taking the ******* turbo and manifold off I may as well upgrade the lot whilst I'm at and hopefully be done with this side of things for the foreseeable future.

No I didn't these but once I have something in my mind that isn't quite right and can be improved on it'll just bug me like hell until I deal with it.

As far as K04 sets up go these really are the best on offer.
I know people will ask why not just go with a big turbo set up but when you factor in the additional costs and fabrication involved it just wasn't worth it to me as essentially already set up to run this properly.

The way I see it as I'll recoup a good chunk of the outlay anyway once I sell the Mamba hybrid, Relentless manifold, my brand new black B5 V3 TIP and the latest V2.2 blue 80mm TIP. (I'll need to buy another V.2.2 in black)

For those not familiar with the AET380 set up then there's plenty of documentation of them making very strong figures.
Bill at B5 has regularly posted dyno graphs on his Facebook over the past few years with many making around the 400bhp with the correct supporting mods - more than enough on a FWD car of this type imo.

This old thread is rather interesting and gives the low down on them from when he starting selling them.

02ffed0bb735492a79a198cf0d91d4cf.jpg
ded010b4c1c7a54d8c75d777e944b29a.jpg
724f861572b384596defffbf406b9809.jpg
f7ac94b9855f715a62dc1da29e2ed125.jpg
9438a785e772a41da4a395cab2274807.jpg
3559f51384d4e7f3d44a1b5083ceea97.jpg

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Reactions: Rich.T
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.