That infotainment system.

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
O.K. so I've only had my VZ2 since the 01 Dec and I'm trying to get my head around the infotainment system, I've never come across anything so complicated on a car before. Done a number of setting changes for the good I hope but now can't remember what and God knows what changes I've made for the worse as I can get lost within the settings, later I go to bed get up in the morning and it's like what did I change yesterday? Can't remember. now is everything going to be alright?
Looking at the screen while on the move is bordering on the chance of a serious accident so I do any changes parked on the drive, just getting the basics to work I feel I need a degree in computer science just to get the radio to work,
This evening I thought I'd try to transfer a few apps from my phone as I'd seen someone do, somehow they appeared I was amazed then later they're gone along with one app that Cupra loaded and I can't get them back, hope the car starts in the morning? Switches, dials and knobs worked very well, is this progress?
Having said all that I really like the car.

Reactions: Tormentor and Oily

Oily

May 31, 2022
I feel your pain... I've had mine for 5 months and I don't think I've mastered everything yet.
I don't do that many miles and it's like a learning curve everytime I get in it... that being said I do love it.:p

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
O.K. so I've only had my VZ2 since the 01 Dec and I'm trying to get my head around the infotainment system, I've never come across anything so complicated on a car before. Done a number of setting changes for the good I hope but now can't remember what and God knows what changes I've made for the worse as I can get lost within the settings, later I go to bed get up in the morning and it's like what did I change yesterday? Can't remember. now is everything going to be alright?
Looking at the screen while on the move is bordering on the chance of a serious accident so I do any changes parked on the drive, just getting the basics to work I feel I need a degree in computer science just to get the radio to work,
This evening I thought I'd try to transfer a few apps from my phone as I'd seen someone do, somehow they appeared I was amazed then later they're gone along with one app that Cupra loaded and I can't get them back, hope the car starts in the morning? Switches, dials and knobs worked very well, is this progress?
Having said all that I really like the car.
Have you ever had a car with an infotainment screen? If so, I'm not sure why you think that looking at it might cause a serious accident.

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
Have you ever had a car with an infotainment screen? If so, I'm not sure why you think that looking at it might cause a serious accident.
Yes I've experienced infotainment screens before and I'm sure they could possibly cause an accident as the screens are so busy with apps and information that one could be easily distracted, I've read a few posts where people share the same concern.

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
Yes I've experienced infotainment screens before and I'm sure they could possibly cause an accident as the screens are so busy with apps and information that one could be easily distracted, I've read a few posts where people share the same concern.
Sorry to sound obtuse, but what problems are you exactly having with the infotainment system? When driving, my screen shows, from left to right, map, music and fuel data...

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
Sorry to sound obtuse, but what problems are you exactly having with the infotainment system? When driving, my screen shows, from left to right, map, music and fuel data...
I think my main problem is that this particular system is new territory for me, I'm frustrated that I don't understand the guide lines and struggle with the terminology used on this particular system and with Android Auto I'd never heard of it before today.
I can't remember too much as to what came up on screen then disappeared other than Google maps and Waze that didn't work, it showed the symbol !.
I'm watching some tutorial videos on YouTube tonight and will try again tomorrow, when your approaching 70 things like this get a little difficult. LOL.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Infotainment screens are very dangerous. Especially when you have to go through different menu's etc to change parameters that used to be on a dial or switch you could feel.

You don't need to be very smart to understand this.

This is not just a VW Group thing unfortunately it's where cars seem to be headed.

Anything that distracts you from the road is not a good thing

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Speaking for myself here, this is the first car I've ever had with an infotainment screen and, tbf, generally I find it ok, it becomes a distraction when trying to do the simplest of tasks (Altering cabin temp', Radio station changes etc) just because I'm not used to it fully, I'm getting there but I generally try to make sure I have things where I want them before I set off to minimise any "on the road interaction"

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Infotainment screens are very dangerous. Especially when you have to go through different menu's etc to change parameters that used to be on a dial or switch you could feel.

You don't need to be very smart to understand this.

This is not just a VW Group thing unfortunately it's where cars seem to be headed.

Anything that distracts you from the road is not a good thing
It seems ridiculous given the penalties and laws around mobile use when cars are basically being fitted with computer screens😬 although I think there is some kind of rules or laws around using them whilst driving, not to sure on that though

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
Well I've had another go today and I thought I'd cracked it after setting it up on my drive, had a drive out and was pleased with the way the infotainment system performed for me and Waze worked and looked good.

Got home left it for a while then went back to it and I just couldn't get back exactly what I'd achieved earlier on screen, Waze seems to have gone to a very basic screen and somehow I've now got VLC media player and that's good but how did that happen?

One thing I miss on this unless I just can't see it is a 'back' button.

I'll have another play tomorrow.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Make sure you get yourself one of these too so you can see the heating controls.

Screenshot_20221208-181914.png

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
Had another go today, I can now get to where I want (most times) but not directly and still with some frustration as it may take a few attempts.

Feb 28, 2024
I feel your pain. Had mine for two years now and still find the whole usability a complete pain. Rather than a one button press you have to go into two sub menus just to turn off the start stop function and lane departure function which then resets itself every time you turn the car off. The screen sensitivity is not the best and I end up having two or three attempts at selecting a button all whilst taking your eyes off the road. Overall cracking car, great performance undone by a frustrating user interface.

Feb 14, 2024
I've only had mine since last week, and it's my first car with everything in the infotainment screen.

I'm finding that the voice control can do quite a lot that is buried in menus - eg "set temperature 22" means you don't need to take your eyes off the road apart from hitting the voice button on the steering wheel.
The other one I saw on a vid was the button to the right of the ACC button, brings up some of the driver assist systems in the speedo screen, eg you can turn off the Lane Assist in there using the scroll wheel.
Not sure if voice control will turn off Lane Assist and/or Stop/Start ?

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
As a relatively new owner it's interesting to read these old threads resurrected.

I do agree with some of the notion of distracted driving with the infotainment but not in a general sense, it's more to do with sensitivity, performance and design choice.

I'll name 2 specific design issues as an example:

1) When typing an address for a destination: it will try to quick search after each letter input. This means if you aren't typing consistently under 250ms the quick search interrupts a keypress and you have a non-responsive event and frustration. This can be solved by making sure a keypress event is given highest CPU priority - or - can always interrupt a CPU event, at any time (if supported by the OS, this would be the best solution to make sure the infotainment always feels responsive, even if it has to load afterwards) Alternatively, just extend the quick search delay to 700ms (a much easier solution for a future software update)

2) On the navigation app: a single touch on any point of the map will target that as a destination. The trouble is, when you are in motion, using the infotainment accurately is often very difficult as we all understand roads have bumps. One mistaken press and your directions are essentially hidden, until you can resolve the situation - this is what I would describe as a dangerous driving distraction at this point - you have lost your directions and need to hit the X precisely to cancel your mistake. Solution: disable this push to set destination feature entirely while on the move! It's absurd to think anybody would reroute in this manner while driving. Or consider making the two finger gesture zoom into a one finger gesture zoom so at least a mis-touch isn't a critical mistake that requires another action to un-do.

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
I have to say that after 18 months ownership, and running the latest software the system is a lot more stable and, whilst still can be a distraction depending on what it is you need to do I’ve adapted to how I use it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.