The dreaded Ea888 thermostat timebomb

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Urgh so had the joyous fun of a big warning on my dash on the way back from Leeds, coolant level low. Topped it up and got home but it did lose some more on the 40 odd miles or so.

It was mentioned on my last service from awesomegti that there were signs of leaking so I suspect this now needs to be attended to.

Not sure I really have the tools or time to do it myself but going to look at a few vids to see, but I presume many of you may have encountered this problem

My question is whilst the engine is dismantled and I'm going to all this cost is there anything else in there you guys would recommend getting done aside from just the waterpump/housing replacement.

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
TLDR. make sure to get a new seal between the housing and water pump too.

I find it mad how many people are getting caught out with this issue.

Seat just literally deny there is a problem.

Had mine fixed in warrenty but then had to get the whole thing done again as they only replaced the housing and not the water pump cos that was the failed part.

It failed again because they didn't replace the seal between the two as its part of the water pump kit and I had to get that repaired and pay the 700£ as usual anyway.

Angry rant over I would say from experience make sure you change out the seal between the two for a new one too.

You probably will do this anyway but better safe than sorry.

Good luck With it.

Definately think we should investigate getting together to fight seat on this.

I think VW in the USA had a class action against them for the same thing on audi and VWs.

But who knows.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LukeBlueCupraLeon

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
TLDR. make sure to get a new seal between the housing and water pump too.

I find it mad how many people are getting caught out with this issue.

Seat just literally deny there is a problem.

Had mine fixed in warrenty but then had to get the whole thing done again as they only replaced the housing and not the water pump cos that was the failed part.

It failed again because they didn't replace the seal between the two as its part of the water pump kit and I had to get that repaired and pay the 700£ as usual anyway.

Angry rant over I would say from experience make sure you change out the seal between the two for a new one too.

You probably will do this anyway but better safe than sorry.

Good luck With it.

Definately think we should investigate getting together to fight seat on this.

I think VW in the USA had a class action against them for the same thing on audi and VWs.

But who knows.

Cheers for the info, yes any gaskets/seal and things will definitely be changed

Your right it is ridiculous that this is such a common occurance and they refuse to fix. I sense though as it isnt deemed a safety issue they will never admint the problem.

Happy to get involved in a class act though i would have absolutely no idea how to get one going.

May 16, 2021
I'm just coming up on this problem now I think. Was mentioned a thermostat leak when I took it in and had to top it up twice in the last month. It's not a small cost to fix for something that seems to come up so regularly.

When I called Seat they basically said it's out of warranty, maybe get it officially diagnosed at a seat dealer and get them to try and compensate you, like that'll ever pan out, and they closed my nearest service centre so it's about an hour to the nearest one that isn't an indy place.

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
I'm just coming up on this problem now I think. Was mentioned a thermostat leak when I took it in and had to top it up twice in the last month. It's not a small cost to fix for something that seems to come up so regularly.

When I called Seat they basically said it's out of warranty, maybe get it officially diagnosed at a seat dealer and get them to try and compensate you, like that'll ever pan out, and they closed my nearest service centre so it's about an hour to the nearest one that isn't an indy place.
Yeah I had the same.

Seat helpline seemed all nice about it but was like... Oh it's down to the dealer.

Went back and forward for ages.

Never got anywhere.

It was so annoying as for mine as they had already replay Ed the thermostat housing under warranty but never replaced the water pump or seal cos that wasn't the part that failed.

When I phoned up to buy the part they said oh you will have to but the water pump too cos you should replace em at the same time.....

nwithyman

Nov 7, 2021
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
Oh dear this is bad news!
I had precisely the same problem with my previous car, an Audi TTS 310bhp and now I have a Formentor VX3 with the same engine.

This long standing design fault, for this is what it seems to be, is clearly being ignored by the VW/Audi group with the customer having to foot the bill and nobody putting their hands up to take responsibility! Their front line defence is the dealer network; there must be some way of escalating this up the line to senior management - this must be done in the public eye.... TV, press, whatever as a collective effort.

I've no idea how to go about this though - does anyone have contacts in the media or other relevant 'high places'?

Reactions: RUM4MO

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
I wonder if one of the fourum mods could bump the post to see if we can gain a little traction with this?

Maybe get it out to other members for a poll or something to see if we can get a number of affected people or something.

andy2max

Feb 16, 2023
I’ve just got my cupra 300 back from the dealer, had a slow coolant leak and they have replaced thermostat and water pump. Luckily it was covered under extended warranty. I do find it a bit daft that this problem is so common on the engine that I could tell the dealer with 99% confidence I think it’s the water pump….

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I wish someone would release an aluminium t/stat and water pump housing like you could get for the earlier engines.
It was about the same price as the oem vw plastic one but seemed to permenently fix the issue

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I suppose that the aftermarket will wait until demand reaches a steady level at which time it will be worth their while bringing an alloy version to the market place.

Reactions: DEAN0

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
just had the error p268100 error on my car with the yellow management light lit up. looking at the thermostat housing the connector does not seem to be wet so it could be this or the actual n82 valve. unplugging the n82 still shows the same error and not any new ones so i am hoping it is just that. will buy another one and just plug the connector over before mucking about with hoses to see if it clears the fault.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise