Think I've killed my turbo ?

davebnly

I LOVE BOOST!
Aug 27, 2006
Lancashire
After a long drive, well, 120miles round trip to take a friend to buy a really tidy old Fiesta XR2, i got back near home, 1st time i had planted the throttle and then there was kind of a pop (as if traction control was kicking in, although I always drive with it off). 20 secs later when i looked in my mirror plumes of white smoke are coming out the back of the car. :blink:
**NO EPC or any other warning light**

I pulled over to check it out, coolant header tank is still on max and no signs of leakage of water or oil, anywhere on the car externally.
Managed to creep it home, very slowly, it felt like it was gonna die a couple of times on the 1mile trip home and still filling the entire road behind with white smoke.
The exhaust smells extremely of barbequed/burning oil. :cry:

it seems to me that maybe an oil seal has gone on the turbo allowing oil into the intake? but no visable signs of leak externally.

Just wanted to confirm if anyone else has had a similar experience and if my prediction about it being the turbo oils seals are likely to be correct?

By the way the turbo is a JBS 04 Hybrid stage 3, running 297bhp (so this could get expensive, Again!)

AS ALWAYS, ANY HELP/ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

Having this site when things like this happen is a godsend

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Would agree completely with the turbo being at fault, was a very similar story when a friends gave up the ghost on his Imprezza. No real way of knowing the damage to the turbo till you get if off though. Not sure if you have done more harm by limping it home though, as you are likely to have put a lot of oil through the intake system which will all need a good flush through now.

Best of luck

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
I'm guessing you have had it running with your head under the bonnet.
It could be something as simple as a charge pipe popping off, ive had that on cars on a few occasions, but I would expect a warning light if that was the case so it probably isnt, worth a check though.

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
i get the same white smoke thing,but only on startup in the mornings....any reason for that?

iv been told it could be a turbo seal too...but then wouldnt it happen all the time?iv checked all hoses...all seems fine...

throw some help this way too!thanx!

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
if it was a rather loud pop id say an intercooler pipe has popped off as said before, it happened on my derv and it feels like its in limp mode, check all your cooler pipes id say

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
if it was a rather loud pop id say an intercooler pipe has popped off as said before, it happened on my derv and it feels like its in limp mode, check all your cooler pipes id say

I second that comment. Happened to me on several occasions. A loud pop is the exact noise I heard too!

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I wouldn't have thought just blowing a pipe off would make the car smoke? I would have thought it would have bought one of the lights on to?

White smoke is water I think? seals in turbo?

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
what boost have you been running your jbs04 turbo at? just interested.

pop could well be pipe off, check first. smoke and fumes could well be the instant pipe blew off.

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
the smoke and fumes cound be the car overfueling alot, when youo think about it the car wont be getting any boost at all, but still getting the same amount of fuel? enters the exhaust etc....

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
i get the same white smoke thing,but only on startup in the mornings....any reason for that?

iv been told it could be a turbo seal too...but then wouldnt it happen all the time?iv checked all hoses...all seems fine...

throw some help this way too!thanx!

i get this to but been told its condensation in the exhaust, not sure how true this is though,

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
My turbo went on the m1, it filled all 6 lanes with white smoke and the **** tailgating me in a white 306 ended up getting more than he bargained when it finally expired and covered his whole front end in oil. The smoke given off was incredible, turo seals were buggered, replaced turbo, cat and sensors under warranty though.
Dont forget to check your intercooler for oil as it gets saturated.

Last edited:

davebnly

I LOVE BOOST!
Aug 27, 2006
Lancashire
the smoke and fumes cound be the car overfueling alot, when youo think about it the car wont be getting any boost at all, but still getting the same amount of fuel? enters the exhaust etc....

You know these engines can't do that don't you? all the sensors around the engine prevent overfuelling if there is no boost or a boost leak.

My turbo went on the m1, it filled all 6 lanes with white smoke and the **** tailgating me in a white 306 ended up getting more than he bargained when it finally expired and covered his whole front end in oil. The smoke given off was incredible, turo seals were buggered, replaced turbo, cat and sensors under warranty though.
Dont forget to check your intercooler for oil as it gets saturated.

Yep thats just how mine went, also to confirm this checked the dipstick yeterday and oil was at the bottom of it so it has used atlease 1/2 litre just in the smoke that cam out of the back. Can't get it to the garage for turbo to be taken of till mon so it's sat there doing nothing.

maberzee

CUPRA 4 EVA
Nov 6, 2008
Taunton, Somerset
:lol::lol::lol::lol: i havent had a pipe blow off yea and hope i dont lol

I wouldn't have thought just blowing a pipe off would make the car smoke? I would have thought it would have bought one of the lights on to?

White smoke is water I think? seals in turbo?

yea your right, generally white smoke means steam, so ill agree with this!!

Last edited:

davebnly

I LOVE BOOST!
Aug 27, 2006
Lancashire
what boost have you been running your jbs04 turbo at? just interested.

pop could well be pipe off, check first. smoke and fumes could well be the instant pipe blew off.

Sometimes in hot weather it will spike at 28 psi and drop to 22-23, but in colder weather spike is 24-25 ish, dropping to 20-21

obviously I have no control over this, its how custom code set the map in the first place