thinking about buying a petrol cupra 180

mr2-andy

This is for all the cupra owners out there, I have been looking at buying an ibiza cupra in red as I dont see any on the road and thought it would be slightly individual my questions are

how does the performance rate to the likes of other modern hot hatches i.e. clio 182, mini cooper S, Civic type R,peugeot 206 180 etc the guy at the dealership said it would beat all of them.
I have owned both an clio 172 and an impreza so I am after something quick. Also how does it compare to leon cupra R 225? Whats the handling like and ultimately how fun is it? How reliable are they?

Basically im after all your race stories.

If I go for it I will take it to REVO, is the 207bhp upgrade a true figure?

By the way im not a boy racer, im 27yrs old and just like to have good safe fun

cheers in advance

Hi

Dont know how it rates against the other hatches as i've not tried them. Whenever I drive mine it always brings a smile to my face, Toying with the idea of selling it but whenever I drive it I change my mind.

Mines been pretty reliable in the year and a bit ive had it, only had the 1 problem with the starter motor cable snapping.

Recently had REVO done & ill be attending a RR day in 2weeks -hoping I hit 200 as ive read somewhere that the figures on the revo site are ambitious.

gazjones

not a cupra owner but i got 203 bhp with revo remap and pannel filter in 36 degrees so they are not far off there figure i dont think!

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
you after a mk4...

get the diesel 160! ecomony is mad and bhp is about 205bhp aand torque is simply amazing,

faster or as fast than any cars you named.

yes played with them all.

handling imo is spot on turn off TCS and you'll be smiling from ear to ear!
180 is quick but need revo stage 2 (cost about £1500 for all the bits needed) to get amazing performance
230-40bhp! that it will then wipe most things off the road.

bascailly diesel has same bhp but lots more torque. (juust remap)

either one you'll be v happy and as you say rare as anything.

Last edited:

Triple D

What about a highly modified Fr tdi in black magic? ;) as ill be selling mine soon, its about the same as a remapped cupra diesel, maybe slightly higher, but only gp 8 insurance ;)
PM me if ya interested :D

frboyz

Sep 26, 2004
Cupra lovely but not IMHO not worth all that money over an FR. I have a 1.8T APR 98ron remap to over 200bhp, exhaust, Koni sport kit, 312mm brakes etc etc. - no other hot hatch has beaten me yet, here is the list of casualties so far:

New golf gti
New Octavia VRS
Civic Type R x 3
Scoobys x 3 (not STI though)
Clio 182
BMW 330i
Boxter x 2
etc etc.........

HOWEVER - all of the above handle much better, if I had my time over I should of kept my remapped diesel beezer...............

gazjones

i would think that as well the price difference is alot but them you price up the intercooler thats 500 quid at least then brakes equilalent would be around 500 looks and also 17inch wheels to make doing the brakes possible thats around 1500 but the new fr 20vt is very cheap roughly 1.5k down on list price over old fr 20vt!

mr2-andy

Cupra lovely but not IMHO not worth all that money over an FR. I have a 1.8T APR 98ron remap to over 200bhp, exhaust, Koni sport kit, 312mm brakes etc etc. - no other hot hatch has beaten me yet, here is the list of casualties so far:

New golf gti
New Octavia VRS
Civic Type R x 3
Scoobys x 3 (not STI though)
Clio 182
BMW 330i
Boxter x 2
etc etc.........

HOWEVER - all of the above handle much better, if I had my time over I should of kept my remapped diesel beezer...............

its nice to know it has the performance, is the handling not very good on the cupras then, my missus has the 1.2sx and I think it handles very well for a car with this engine.

when I had my clio 172 I thought it handled poo until I fettled with the suspension.

FR*Man1984

time for a MINI adventure
i think the standard set up on the FR is not too good. it's better than my previous cars, but for something as sporty as it is should be allot better! I preferred the cooper s suspension wise as it was a hoot to drive, just that they are so common, the interior is tacky and the driving position was truly awful, as I found the seats to be unsupportive.

my opinion anyway, lol

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
The mk4 ibiza cupra is such a great car!!!

1) its quick

2)its rare !!!

3)its resonably priced

4)its nippy

5)most easily modded engine 1.8 20v turbo

6)its confortable

7)so far for me reliable

8)handling is a bit iffy but what should i exspect driving like a loon down country lanes :scary: :drive1: if you think you gonna find that a problem put sum coilovers on the beast.
what more could you want?????? :shrug:

Last edited:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
:whistle: definatly not confortable in the back if you know wot i mean ;) !!!! but i test drove a pug gti 180 with the massive bucket seats in it and my shoulders are way too broad to fit in them and couldnt get my arms rund the bucket of the seat to hold the gear stick, now thats an unconfortable car

Then a standard ibiza came into my work n i was driving it into the workshop and i just had to get 1 everything is where you want it. then when i test drove the cupra it was IMO a very confy car.

1 thing i will mock on the cupra is the sound system dnt like it too loud coz you look a right:w4nk: :fool: but it is a bit poor but id like to keep it standard.

Last edited:

Kendo

The Kit Car Man
May 15, 2005
erskine
My 130tdi Fr is certainly a lot more fun to drive than the missus clio 182. Obviously not as quick when it comes down to figures but brings a bigger smile to my face. Test drove a cupra 180 and it felt plenty quick for me.

FR*Man1984

time for a MINI adventure
i love my FR to bits don't get me wrong, just wish I was more careful with it! Had two bumps in it since I bought it back in June...oops! Luckily the damage is only cosmetic and will cost less than 50quid to put right. but a bump is a bump

i wanted to have a drive of the cupra diesel last time i was over, but no such luck! having a go in a leon fr tdi tho next month BONUS! lol

so coilovers are they the red twisty things that i call suspension? are they cheap to replace with better ones, and who'd fit em for me? i'm a lazy git, and i love asking questions! lol

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
i love my FR to bits don't get me wrong, just wish I was more careful with it! Had two bumps in it since I bought it back in June...oops! Luckily the damage is only cosmetic and will cost less than 50quid to put right. but a bump is a bump

i wanted to have a drive of the cupra diesel last time i was over, but no such luck! having a go in a leon fr tdi tho next month BONUS! lol

so coilovers are they the red twisty things that i call suspension? are they cheap to replace with better ones, and who'd fit em for me? i'm a lazy git, and i love asking questions! lol

You can get coilover kits from around £300 or you can spend ££££'s. the kit will cosist of fully adjustable shock exsorbers (dampers) springs and normally a bottom out bung and droplinks. you can adjust the height of your ride. slam it to the floor for rallying and higher it if ur mad!:D really gotta get a set on my cupra for handling and of course it will look wicked slammed!

really easy to fit yourself but if your not confident just get your local garage or seat dealer to put them on for you just means digging further into you pocket

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise