Throttle Body

Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
All

Had my car (cupra) put back to standard (as had a physical chip fitted) and car was running fine apart from boosting slightly too much. It would boost to about 8-10 psi instead of 6-7. Now i know my actuator was played with so put this to the correct number of threads but car still boosting the same.

Now after about two weeks car lost power, revs would climb but speed wouldnt - had the following codes up:

------------------------------------------------------------------
18010 power supply terminal 30 - voltage to low

17953 Throttle Valve Controller Malfunction

17967 - Throttle Valve Controll Part Fault in Basic Settings

17966 - Throttle Actuator - Electrical Malfunction
------------------------------------------------------------------

After searching i know all of these point to throttle body - ie cleaning and doing a TBA

Now i know you need to do a TBA when you disconnect the ECU but i dont know if this was done by the garage that removed the ECU and wont find out until next week.

Is it possible if the TBA wasnt done, this could be why i was boosting slightly higher and now car has played up? it was driving fine approx 2 weeks after ECU was done.

Any thoughts? and i couldnt find anything on the 17966 code so help there please

thanks

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
Sorry for posting but having no info on the subject but whats a TBA?

Throttle Body A?

Also, is there a process or guide on cleaning the TB?

Good Luck getting your answers too mate.

Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
Throttle Body Alignment - theres loads on here about cleaning it and im sure ive seen a few pics as well - going to do clean it tonight try again -

Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
cleaned TB lastnight - started the car and still going a bit lumpy and tried to clear codes with vag com but they kept coming up - tried to do the TBA with vag com but kept showing 'error' in the last block and couldnt hear the TB moving -

left the car running for about 10 mins and tried clearing the codes again and only two errors came up:

17953 - Throttle Vale Controller Malfunction

turned the car off and on and drove off and it was fine - tried again this morning and back to being lumpy on idle and no acceleration -

is the battery on the way out?

o and i tried to disconnect the maf just in case but that didnt help

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
started car and it was fine - drove about 5 mins and was ok - put new battery in and started car and started spluttering and no acceleration again just idle was high - checked for codes and got same codes again

17953 - Throttle Vale Controller Malfunction
17966 - Throttle Actuator - Electrical Malfunction

i tried clearing them again but keep coming back - checked block 60 again but last column keeps showing error and only the top two error codes

can anyone suggest what next?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
argh!!! gone again!!!

Vag Com showing:
17967 Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249):Short To ground
17840 Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (n112):eek:pen circuit
17834 EVAP purge Valve (N80) open circuit
17953 Throttle Valve Controller Malfunction

soo had a search on here and replaced fuse under steering wheel (wasnt blown but did it anyway) and tried driving - was ok for a short time but then after approx 5 mins will start "coughing" again -

scanned again and got :
17967 Throttle Valave Control Part (J338): fault in basic setting
17972 Throttle Actuator under voltage during basic settings
17953 Throttle valve Controller:Malfunction

similar to what benny had http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203446&highlight=17967

so now need to check wiring -