Time for new tyres, help please.

AshFR

Seat Leon TDi PD150 2005
Mar 10, 2011
Shropshire
photobucket.com
Need some new tyre for front but not sure what to go for. They are for the front and my current tyres are primewell crap which spin in 2nd and 3rd in the dry with ease. They are 235/35/19 and dont want to spend more than £120 per tyre. Any decent ones around that price peeps? Thanks.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Ash iam running Toyo T1-R's and they are very grippy in the dry and wet. Was paying about £110 a tyre from hardy tyres in Telford, but your a size up from mine. Give em a ring and ask.

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
Falken fk452 are ok for the money. But if you can stretch your budget I would have to say Goodyear eagle F1 Assym 2. Fantastic tyres..!

AshFR

Seat Leon TDi PD150 2005
Mar 10, 2011
Shropshire
photobucket.com
Hearf bad things about them tr-1,s, ditch finders aparenty :( Falken i can get for £116 each and the goodyear is £169. Looks like im gonna go for the falkens :) heard they are a fairly decent tyre aswell. Thanks all.

Wolvo-Oleg

Mar 4, 2012
Wolves
Hi Ash! (Relatively local to me!)

I've just gone from Avons to the Toyo T1-r's, and I've been really impressed with them so far (500 mile or so)

I was recommended them by a sales rep at work who runs them on his 400bhp Scooby and his 450bhp RX7, he swears by them, and I've not been let down either.

Also, with the arrival of the T1-S, these can be got a bit cheaper now... I paid 95 a corner fitted for 225/40/18's

Worth mentioning that the Toyo's are Y rated tyres, as apposed to most in this price range being W rated.

HTH :)

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
I've been running toyos for 3 years now and iam still very happy with them.

Try the falkens, and if your not happy with them, try something different next time around.

Last edited:

Wolvo-Oleg

Mar 4, 2012
Wolves
Just been looking at the toyo t1-r and not as good as reviews on them as the falkens and they are about £40 more. Not sure what to go forrrrrrrrrr :(

I'd have a ring around and see what's what price wise mate, I think the Toyo's re around £120 on the net, so may work out cheaper if you call a few places.

Of course, naturally they'll all offer conflicting advice and add to your head ache even more :lol::lol:

If it's any conciliation, the tyre place I went to had all sorts of posh motors coming in, M3's, Jap drift stuff, loads of high power cars floating around.. And the owners stage 2 s3 was sat out the yard on 4 fresh Toyo's.. Must say something about them!

Last edited:

AshFR

Seat Leon TDi PD150 2005
Mar 10, 2011
Shropshire
photobucket.com
Yeah think i might go for falkens and see how they hold up. I wasnt going to bother with tyres as i was thinking about changing alloys but will keep them a bit longer now and finish doing rest of the car first :D

Wolvo-Oleg

Mar 4, 2012
Wolves
Have heard good things about them, it was the same two choices for me, just the offer I had swung it. Probably will try them next as there's seems a lot of possitivity surrounding them.

Get R888's, might see a bit less of the TCS in second :lol:

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
Toyo's are hideous. Run a decent tyre and you'll realise. I had t1r's on mine when I bought it. They lasted about 4k, they're too soft on the sidewalls, don't wear evenly, can't cope with the smallest amount of standing water. I can't understand how they can think they can proce them as a premium tyre. They're an expensive budget tyre IMO

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Toyo's are hideous. Run a decent tyre and you'll realise. I had t1r's on mine when I bought it. They lasted about 4k, they're too soft on the sidewalls, don't wear evenly, can't cope with the smallest amount of standing water. I can't understand how they can think they can proce them as a premium tyre. They're an expensive budget tyre IMO

See I don't understand this.

I think there great, and I don't know what your doing to get 4k out of them. My last set lasted 30k granted I ran them into the ground.

My car had Pirelli P-Zero with good tread when I got it and they were horrid, Tsc on all the time in the wet, my car was like dancing on ice. Since I switch to the toyos, car handles traction, bends, and the wet so much better. Maybe they just suit the setup of my car. Mine Are 225/40/R18 and was £110 per tyre.

I might try a different set next time around and see how much better then some of these tyres really are.

Last edited:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire

That's summed Toyo up, tread pattern looks good through. . .:D

Get a price on some Kumho's for a good budget tyre. . .

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Had Toyo T1-Rs on my old Focus TDCi and they seemed to grip well enough and still had 5mm+ of tread after 18k or so.

Just ordered some Goodyear Excellence for my Leon to replace a mishmash of budget tyres fitted when I got it.

Hard to find unbiased feedback about tyres as everyone defends their own choices - human nature:p

No doubt someone will be along in a minute to tell me why I've bought rubbish:D

These I found useful, for roughly Leon-sized tyres. First 2 are for performance tyres and third for 'touring' tyres, depending on your taste:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259582/tyre_test_2011.html

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Sport-Auto-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-ACE-Touring-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm