Too Many Revs

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
When i start up my 1.2 car it will tick over at around 1200RPM the usual in around 600RPM anyone know why this is? it will do this if i stop anytime within the 1st 10 mins of driving then sort itself out! Car has done 67,000 miles and is therefor out of warrenty! Any advice?

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
It could just be cause the enginee isn't warm.. I know that the Civic's rev higher than normal on a cold start until it's "happy"..

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
It could be that the car thinks it's cold, because it's got a faulty coolant temperature sensor. Mine had similar symptoms a couple of months ago (except mine's a TDI - but it was starting with a race up to 1400 rpm, and the glow-plug light was staying on longer than it should before starting).

If you know somebody with VAG-COM, check one of the measuring groups that has the coolant temperature in it. You want to look at that value without starting the engine, when the car has not been driven for at least 6 hours or more. The water temperature should then be the same as the ambient temperature.

In my case, the coolant temperature was often showing as minus 3 degrees when the outside temperature was plus 15 degrees.

Last edited:

Triple D

andythom said:
He lives in mallorca though so doubt it would be the cold start system for long anyway :D
Look at his sigi, i think your wrong there matie ;), his 1.2 is for use in the UK, he has the CUPRA in spain ;)