Top Forge Tip Fitting Tips!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Top Forge Tip Fitting Tips!

Yes, it’s easy for one person to fit a TIP (Turbo Inlet Pipe) from above – without jacking the car up.

I had to swap my exhaust manifold and in order to gain access, you need to remove the stock tip. When the time came to put the tip back, I thought I may as well fit the Forge Tip that I bought a year ago and never got time to fit. :redface:

1) I find aviation snips handy for cutting off the original pipe clips.

You need to remove your air box.

Removing the original TIP is relatively simple. It’s bolted to the turbo with a 5mm allen nut. I little bit of wiggling and you can lift it out. At this stage you can remove the pipe that’s connected low down on the tip.

One try to get the new tip down to the turbo convinced me it was going to be really hard. There is a metal water pipe that’s in the way. I did a bit of searching and came up with a link Forge posted here a while ago from a Canadian VW site http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8651

If you look at this guide, you’ll see at step 5 he says there is a bolt holding the water pipe to the block and that removing it allows you to move the pipe to get more access to fit the tip. He’s right! However he’s also right in saying it’s a bitch to get at.

Here’s my second tip…

2) If you move the gear linkages out of the way, it’s really easy to get at the 8mm allen headed bolt that holds the water pipe.

Pop the clips off each cable linkage. If you follow the cables back, there is a bracket through which the cables pass. This bracket is held to the gearbox by two vertical 12mm bolts and to the block by one horizontal 12mm nut. Undo these and you can move the bracket out of the way, giving easy access to the 8mm allen headed bolt.

Undo that bolt and you will find the water pipe moves sufficiently to allow the Forge tip to be pushed down behind it. There is so much clearance that it’s easy to put the lower end of the TIP onto the turbo. It’s so easy, I had mine on and off three times while I got the best position for the jubilee clip.

3) put the jubilee clip on the bottom of the TIP before you put the TIP on the turbo. Position the clip so that its head is facing downwards, and to the rear of the car. You can then easily tighten the clip with a small 7mm ring spanner.

4) once you’ve tightened the bottom clip, it’s relatively easy to bend the TIP towards you to get easy access to fit the bottom hose to the nipple on the tip and tighten it’s clip.

5) When you come to refit the 8mm allen headed bolt holding the water pipe, you will probably find the TIP is holding it away from the block. There are actually two brackets. If you slip the front bracket behind the rear bracket, you will find it easier to get the bolt threaded.

The rest is fairly obvious.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
on the leon I'd say it's easiest to get at the clip from the underneath with a flexi driver.

from the top it's a real pig

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I done it with blood sweat and tears.

My problem was quite a bit of oil in the intake making it slippy as hell. Had to get somone to hold it in place above the engine and get underneath with a long driver. Problem is the jubilee mechanism is bulky and forces it outwards to the chamfered part of the turbo inlet.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the melting point of silicone isnt that high, so in theory would you be able to put a cable tie onto the TIP itself as its only touching the silicone?

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
thanks for posting this guide! really helped me when i fitted my TIP earlier :)

i also managed to tighten the jubilee clip from the top of the car :) so really happy.

then comes the good bit... the turbo spool is amazing! even at low revs!

so the tip, plus the intercooler, air filter and dump valve have made my car sound amazing!!

10 out of 10 for this, and it was only £36 posted from ebay!!

smivvy

Seat Leon Cupra
Apr 21, 2008
Northants
I was going to have a go at fitting mine today as just received one for my AUQ engine.

On inspection there is no blanking plate on the one I have. Without measuring it up to see what line this is am I going to waste my time taking my old one off and trying to fit the Forge one?

Stilla t work at the moment so I can't check yet but havibg looked at the link provided it seems they need to have a blanking plate?

Thanks

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I was going to have a go at fitting mine today as just received one for my AUQ engine.

On inspection there is no blanking plate on the one I have. Without measuring it up to see what line this is am I going to waste my time taking my old one off and trying to fit the Forge one?

Stilla t work at the moment so I can't check yet but havibg looked at the link provided it seems they need to have a blanking plate?

Thanks

Why do you need a blanking plate?

I have the Forge TIP for the AUQ and you don't need to block anything off?

smivvy

Seat Leon Cupra
Apr 21, 2008
Northants
It's all on fine now. Well I have gained a fair few scratches on my hands lol.

I thought it should have had a blanking plate as when i looked on that link it showed this. There is certainly nothing needing blanking off on the AUQ engine

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire
fitted mine today was easier than expected but i did have guidance from here :thumbup: only struggled to get the factory clips of all the pipes as i dont have many tools.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.