torque steer.. with 200ish bhp?!

mike000

mk3 1.8 tsi
Jul 21, 2008
Birmingham
how bad are we talkin. mines about 200bhp and it touque steers but its nothin mad. my friend has a 220 rover turbo and it nearly smashes u into cerbs when you put the power down.

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
well on a very slight bend i just put it into third, foot down and had to quickly get both hands on the wheel because it just shot off all over the place!

i've noticed recently its gradually got a bit worse, so just wondering what is causing it :(

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
mine got torque steer when i had the revo trial...loved it...my mates has it 1st 2nd 3rd not huge amounts but enough that u need to hold on to it...how long you had it dont forget it takes time to "adjust" to your driving style...

andycupra

status subject to change
tracking, camber, tyre pressures, road surface, uneven wear on tyres, oil, diesel, wishbone bushes, grit on road... etc etc.

but 200bhp is plenty to get torque steer, although its not really the power thats causing it, the clue is in the name... = 'torque'... which will be 245ish...

Last edited:

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
When i first bought my cupra, only had revo stage 1, i thought the torque steer was really bad. But after driving it more and more you just get used to it and grip the wheel tighter and adapt your style to suit. On ko3s its a little bit worse. Spinning up in the wet doing 70mph in 3rd on a dual carriageway is way scarier!

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
When i first bought my cupra, only had revo stage 1, i thought the torque steer was really bad. But after driving it more and more you just get used to it and grip the wheel tighter and adapt your style to suit. On ko3s its a little bit worse. Spinning up in the wet doing 70mph in 3rd on a dual carriageway is way scarier!

i got traction control in 4th in the wet, which is a nightmare! :p fun though

tracking, camber, tyre pressures, road surface, uneven wear on tyres, oil, diesel, wishbone bushes, grit on road... etc etc.

but 200bhp is plenty to get torque steer, although its not really the power thats causing it, the clue is in the name... = 'torque'... which will be 245ish...

i understand its 'torque' steer.. but as i dont know how much torque my car has, i thought i'd let you know the horse power instead, and then people can guestimate my torque from that.

tracking is fine, had it done not too long ago. tyre pressures were checked at my MOT/service last month. road surface was flat, and completely dry.
never had torque steer that bad before, and think its an actual problem with my car.

i'll see how it goes over the next week or so

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
have you changed anything on the car lately? swopped wheels around?

i take it you had no tc/esp lights flashing when this happened?

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
traction control and abs are both working fine, and the traction control didn't kick in at all. i was going around a slight bend, very slight bend and put my foot down in third and it just went crazy!

haven't changed a single thing on my car recently, apart from upgrading to a leon charge pipe, and messing around with interior parts.. dash /seats etc

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Why do you keep the TCS on anway? Its pants, swear it causes more accidents than it prevents, with it being so jerky and making the car lurch. I always keep mine off :D

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
lol i know what you mean, but ive had my eml light on for ages, only a SAI issue, come back when ever i clear it, so the tcs one doesnt bother me that much. Would rather have the tcs off than have it cause i crash

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.