Trouble with breaks

alb

Jul 3, 2007
Sheffield
Hi

After getting in the car today, i turned off my drive and went to break and the pedal went right to the floor. I pumped the pedel, and it went firm again, but now the n/s screpes whenever i break. I've had the wheel off and had a look, and the pad on the outside of the disk is very worn, whereas the inside pad still has some left on it. Is it normal to wear like this?
Also, i had a new tyre put on last week, and the bloke said that the disks were getting a bit low...could this be anything to do with it?

Iv been and bought some new pads this afternoon, so going to try and fit them tomorrow if possible.

Thanks,
Dan

calistic

Hi,

Best to chage both i would think, if the pad is wearing uneaven its generaly due to a warped disk, if you put new pads on they probobly wont have a full contact this effecting breaking, also check your break fluid levels you may also have air in the hose hense the reason to need to pump the break, obviousely when you change the pads you would need to bleed the breaks, have a look for leeks or splits in the hose,

Good luck :)

alb

Jul 3, 2007
Sheffield
Ye, i thought it mite be something to do with the disks aswell.
Im going on quite a long trip tomorrow to see my girlfriends family, so i need to get it done tomorrow morning, so i think im just going to try and do the pads myself tomorrow, and then get the disks done asap in the new year.

Dont suppose anyone could give me a rough guide on how to change the pads? as i've never done this before. I tried getting a haynes today from halfrauds but they didnt have the ibiza book in stock. All help will be very appreciated as i've never done this before, but need it doing before tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks, Dan

Gm8

Jun 13, 2007
Glasgow
jack car , put on axle stands , remove wheel

locate and remove 2 x caliper housing bolts at back of caliper

ease caliper away from pads ( dont let it hang free on the brake line)

remove and refit pads

compress piston in caliper body ( poss need a second pair of hands or some leveradge here , also remove lid of brake fluid res and put a cloth around opening to catch spills)

refit caliper to pad carrier and tighten up bolts

thats pretty much it . If you have uneven pad wear like you say , then the caliper slider pins may be siezed . check when the caliper is free that the 2 slider pins on the pad carrier move freely ( should be able to push them in with one finger )

alb

Jul 3, 2007
Sheffield
jack car , put on axle stands , remove wheel

locate and remove 2 x caliper housing bolts at back of caliper

ease caliper away from pads ( dont let it hang free on the brake line)

remove and refit pads

compress piston in caliper body ( poss need a second pair of hands or some leveradge here , also remove lid of brake fluid res and put a cloth around opening to catch spills)

refit caliper to pad carrier and tighten up bolts

thats pretty much it . If you have uneven pad wear like you say , then the caliper slider pins may be siezed . check when the caliper is free that the 2 slider pins on the pad carrier move freely ( should be able to push them in with one finger )

Thanks for that, will really help me tomorrow!
Id the slider pins do not move freely, whats the best thing to do?? will they free up with WD40?

Cheers,
Dan

G223

Dec 6, 2007
BTW remove the pins( the bolts you removed to get the caliper out is bolted to these) that the caliper slides on and clean them until they gleam then look in the holes and make sure this is clean aswell when putting back in coat them in copper grease along with the back of the pads, its worth doing as it takes 15 mins and makes everlything easier to remove next time pads need done. hope that helps, if not well i tried lol

Gm8

Jun 13, 2007
Glasgow
if they dont move freely , they may need a lot of work to come out ( i had a big chisel and a lump hammer) and will prob need replaced , but try the old wd40 etc first . good luck , should be easy enough to sort .

alb

Jul 3, 2007
Sheffield
managed to get them sorted this morning, it suprised me how easy it was!
The only trouble i had was that the pads i bought yesterday were the wrong ones, even though the bloke at the motor factors said they would be right...he the refused to take them back because i'd opened the box ( i dont know how he expected me to know that they were wrong without opening the box), but they were only a tenner so its not a big deal. That means i have a spare set of front disk pads for a 1.4 if anyone wants them...if you can collect them you can have em for nothing, otherwise postage costs are all i want for the... They fit cars made before may 1999 apparently, so just give me a shout if anyone wants them, otherwise they'll just get thrown away.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Dan

alb

Jul 3, 2007
Sheffield
It seems to have yes, although the disks are desperate to be done aswell, so im going to have a look at them next week. Are the disks easy to do aswell?
I drove the car about 100 miles last night, and the breasks still seem a little spongy, is this normal? as last time i had them changed they didnt take that long to bed in

Thanks for all your help,
Dan

Gm8

Jun 13, 2007
Glasgow
if still feel spongy after about 50-100 miles then they may need bled . As for the disks its just a case of doin the same as the pads , but also remove the pad carrier( 2 big bolts at back) and remove the disc . That bit requires some patience and a big hammer usually , as you have to beat it from the back . Best to turn the wheels full lock to get best room behind the disc , and theres a screw in the front of the disc that needs to come out , but usually is chewed and needs drilled out . Just post any probs here and we will help m8 .

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.