Tuning cupra handling.

Poko

Nov 18, 2009
Hi all,
I am a new member to this forum from israel.
just bought a new cupra (pre facelift) and will get it soon. it will be in a really unique color which is matt black , i will post some pics once i get it.

until i get it i got the importers demo car and have been driving it for several days.

although i really like the car , the handling is not very balanced.

there is a lot of understeer in sharp corners and the tail is not very happy to play along.

i would like to find a way to eliminate as possible the understeer and make the tail much more happy.

i talked with my local tuning shop and they suggested KW V2 , they claim it will make it much more like the gti.

can anyone recommend me what is the way to go ? what suspension ? LSD ?

many thanks.

Poverty

What country are you from?

Diff
WALK

And decent tyres will make a good change.

Poko

Nov 18, 2009
I am from israel.

i plan on moving the tires to toyo 888

what is WALK ?

Poko

Nov 18, 2009
does that really help ? anyone have real experience with it ?

also , do i combine this with aftermarket suspension like the KW ?

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
An anti-roll/sway bar kit will improve the handling of the Cupra greatly. Go for H&R's or APR's kits and use soft setting for the front and hard setting for the rear. This will reduce much of the under-steer. A coil-over kit is also recommended.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
A lot of Cupra owners run the Koni FSD's with the Eibach Sportline springs. This seems to deliver a well balanced and handling car yet still retains comfort.

For more oversteer a larger rear ARB is a good option with the Whiteline adjustable being a good choice as you can tweak it to how you want.

As mentioned the Whiteline Anti Lift kit is also a good adition and really sharpens up the turning.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Poko

Nov 18, 2009
that sounds like a good solution.

there is no whiteline distributer in israel , so i guess i will just order from the uk or pick it up once i am in the uk (tend to be on business around 6-10 times a year).

is the whiteline anti lift kit difficult to install ?

i preffer to buy non adjustable or have someone in the uk pre-adjust because local tuning shops will most probably mess the handling completly if they can play with it.

as for the KONI/Eibach combo , does it ride more comfortly or harser than the original setup (which is quite harsh) ? is it a better option compared with KW.

i am really not looking for drastic lowering of the car, i care really about the handling.

Poko

Nov 18, 2009
that can be a great idea.

but about the video , i really see only a pic , not a video.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
It's the part that says:

"To see the Whiteline anti lift kit installed on a Volkswagen Golf 5 GTi 2.0T FSi, please click here."

Just click on 'here'.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
Ive got a WALK sat waiting to be fitted. Any one with experience know if it makes the steering heavier? Want it to feel a bit more 'weighted' like the Golf Gti loan car i had a few weeks ago

Cheers

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
The Leon stylance I had as a courtesy car had much sharper steering response than my TFSI Sport.
I think maybe the Vagcom settings for the steering may have been different.
All I know is the steering was WAY more sensitive.
I quite liked it and would like to try adjusting the steering weight on mine to somewhere similar.
With Vagcom it can be adjusted from 1 - 6

k1_kid

Get some Eibach wheel spacers for the back, 5mm each side helps a lot...

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
I also remember that, I cant imagine it having a great enough effect but if someone has experienced othrwise Id love to hear it! Mine just feels really assisted and light

it only makes it slightly heavier mike, mine is only slightly more weighty than yours.

adding the other bush to the other side of your lower control mount will also help a bit, but ultimately to get stiffer steering response you want to get additional caster angle on your wheels.

if you got the whitleine Max C top mounts, which can be adjusted to give either more caster or more camber.

more additional caster is the perfect setup for road. it'll give you heavier steering, quicker response, and a more direct feel. more caster also equals an increase in dynamic camber on turn in much the same as the walk but on a higher level.

If yor on track all the time its camber you want.

k1_kid

What difference id you feel mate? Sounds good

Feels a lot better taking it around the corner back end doesn't feel as twitchy mate, only £60ish!

Don't suppose you got your Revo map done in Whitley Bay by any chance??