Turbo/remap help!!

reece27

Right as the title says needing some help here. A wee while back i done the N249 valve bypass following some thread on here, everything was fine and it seamed to make a fair difference to the car (i put that mostly down to the old vac hoses being perished/holed)

Anyway got a stage 2 revo remap from a very good helpfull place called sitech racing. But when i went to pick the car up they had told me that since i had took away all they vac hoses that the remap wouldnt let them control the boost and that i was to put the valve back and bring the car back to them to be set up and put on the dyno.

so i came back on here done some reserch on what i had to do to put it right and yea true anuf turns out going by the way the thread had told me to do the bypass i had bypassed the N112 valve aswell and that was the boost control valve.

followed another thread i seen that showed the way to do it keeping the N112 valve and right away i felt the car was 100 times better than the car did before. felt really quick.

took the car back to them and they put it on the rollers and played with it for awhile but the best they could get out the car was 188.9 BHP with 237.1 LBFT. now since the car should be around 180 standerd and i just spent nearly £500 on a remap i wasnt hugely happy. they says "everything is running perfect and nice but its just not producing the boost" says that it may still be on the original turbo and its mabie just starting to get lazy.

Now if this is right then i am happy to change the turbo and if so prob go for a K03s instead for abit more power going by what i read on here. but just wanted to run this by someone before i go spend alot more money just see if this does just sound like my turbos on its last days?

sorry for writing a book just wanted everyone to the hole story haha, hope someone can help.

OrcaGti

Jul 8, 2007
Inverness
stage two map should be putting you above the 200 mark i would have thought? is it defo a cupra R mate? i know a few foke that have been had, been told its a cupra R then later found out it wasnt?

reece27

yea should defo be over 200 bhp mark. and its also defo a cupra r. dono how someone could even get them mixed up tbh. surly someone must have some input into this? need ansers asap.

reece27

Mods so far... FMIC, forge DV, full stainless steel miltek, 4bar FPR, N249 bypass, JR cone filter and am pretty sure that's it. so the car is ready for a stage 2 map. still on original k03 turbo. thinking of putting a k03s but have a few questions about it.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
It being a Cupra R makes no difference to power. Both Cupra and Cupra R use the same ko3 turbo and all the other hardware. I personally think 200hp is the upper limits of the ko3 turbo.

Yellonvi you seem to have changed your tune about power figures, I remember you about a month ago suggesting 220 was possible

reece27

I know all not get "well" over the 200 Mark. but was kinda hoping to atleast crack it? a mean 180 standard, all those mods and nearly 500 spent on a remap... and it's got me 10 Bhp?

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
Yep because ive seen a printout and was there on the day! Ive not changed my tune i said 220 ive seen, but that about it which in my eyes isnt well over 200 is it....

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
Also you say all those mods but the bypass wont give you more power neither will the dv. Sounds like a poor map to me.? Another issue....your turbo could be on its way out.

Last edited:

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
220 is a large step power wise from a ko3 realistic peak power of 190/200 hp. What is the spec of this "220hp" car?

Reece I know exactly what you mean,I've been there. I had an ibiza R and Cupra's, the R engine wise is the same apart from software that makes it produce the 180hp (basically its remapped) your still running the 154 bhp hardware eg, intercooler,turbo etc so it will only tune further to what the hardware is capable of.this is the reason I went ko4023 turbo with my R as I felt a remap was a waste as there was no real £ for punch gain like remapping the Cupra 154hp model. Also 500 for a remap is dear tbh.

I do recommend a ko3s ko4001 turbo upgrade with supporting hardware, its a very good upgrade and transforms the car into a fast road car and has a much better power band.

reece27

Also you say all those mods but the bypass wont give you more power neither will the dv. Sounds like a poor map to me.? Another issue....your turbo could be on its way out.

the N249 if it senses over boosting it can open the valve to let vac to the DV. herd a few story's of people with more power doing the bypass just so it would run right. also a poor/old DV could loose you boost. and as far as I know I haven't herd of a revo map ever being bad? and as for the turbo being on its way out... kinda the hole point of this thread to see if anyone thought that as well. if the turbo is on its way out I will happily swap it for a k03s and hope for over 200bhp

reece27

220 is a large step power wise from a ko3 realistic peak power of 190/200 hp. What is the spec of this "220hp" car?

Reece I know exactly what you mean,I've been there. I had an ibiza R and Cupra's, the R engine wise is the same apart from software that makes it produce the 180hp (basically its remapped) your still running the 154 bhp hardware eg, intercooler,turbo etc so it will only tune further to what the hardware is capable of.this is the reason I went ko4023 turbo with my R as I felt a remap was a waste as there was no real £ for punch gain like remapping the Cupra 154hp model. Also 500 for a remap is dear tbh.

I do recommend a ko3s ko4001 turbo upgrade with supporting hardware, its a very good upgrade and transforms the car into a fast road car and has a much better power band.

thanks for an actual decent anser, reading the story of all this do you agree that it could be a lazy turbo? as everything else does seam fine. and I have looked into the k03s and k04-001. as far as I could tell tho there near identical but the k04 can see about 12 bhp more but the k03s spools up faster?

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
Ye i know the point of your thread ;p the only way your going to know for sure is to pull it off, or atleast pull the turbo intake off and see if theres any play....

My point on thr n249 and what not is most dont notice a difference i never. And by bypassing you cant expect morrrreeee poooowwwweeerrrr. Maybe a smoother feel.

K03s ftw

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
thanks for an actual decent anser, reading the story of all this do you agree that it could be a lazy turbo? as everything else does seam fine. and I have looked into the k03s and k04-001. as far as I could tell tho there near identical but the k04 can see about 12 bhp more but the k03s spools up faster?

K04001 and ko3s spool the same as far as I'm aware. K04001 is more than just a peak bhp gain over the ko3s, it has more mid range power also, its the turbo ill be going for if I change from the ko3on my current Cupra.

Back to your actual question, I've never actually heard the term "lazy turbo".
Are you positive everything is plumbed in correctly? Are you sure there are no leaks?

My question is, is there actually a fault with the car? We're you expecting this big power hike that you didn't get and they are blaming it on something else? Rolling road figures are not worth the paper they are written on IMO. What does the car feel like on the road? Does it fell torquey does it feel a touch stronger? This is we're it matters but your gain over standard will be small.

I also have have a RR grath of 220 bhp many years ago from Amd running the ko3 turbo then a few years after on a RR it made 190bhp...can you see my point?

You may be chasing something that's not there and your limited by hardware.

Last edited:

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham

Lol at that!! My post were me actually trying to help you yet there obviously not decent!! What an ungrateful nob! Expecting bypasses to give power increase! All i was saying is they wont! And from them mods i wouldnt expect a fat lot more if an increase.

reece27

K04001 and ko3s spool the same as far as I'm aware. K04001 is more than just a peak bhp gain over the ko3s, it has more mid range power also, its the turbo ill be going for if I change from the ko3on my current Cupra.

Back to your actual question, I've never actually heard the term "lazy turbo".
Are you positive everything is plumbed in correctly? Are you sure there are no leaks?

My question is, is there actually a fault with the car? We're you expecting this big power hike that you didn't get and they are blaming it on something else? Rolling road figures are not worth the paper they are written on IMO. What does the car feel like on the road? Does it fell torquey does it feel a touch stronger? This is we're it matters but your gain over standard will be small.

I also have have a RR grath of 220 bhp many years ago from Amd running the ko3 turbo then a few years after on a RR it made 190bhp...can you see my point?

You may be chasing something that's not there and your limited by hardware.

I do see what your saying, and no the car is fine and drives well. feels pretty Torquey. guess I just expected more if you get me? as for the turbo, where's best to get them? and what's the correct name for the k03s is it not something like k03-053?

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
Yeah ko3 053 is right I think.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say the import turbos from eBay actually are fine and around 230/250 new. People have used these to good effect just like people buy garret replicas from Japan at like 1/5 of the price. This is going to open up a can of worms and lots will say they are cheap( yes they are)/crap etc but I really don't think that's the case. There are a few threads on other sites that back this up just do some research, if I upgrade I'll be buying one.

dalegolf215

UNbanned
Jun 3, 2010
Rov'rum
How does the car feel to drive though?

Too many people chase figures when your 188bhp might be closer to 220 on a more lenient dyno

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.