turbo to manifold gasket PROBLEM!!

rideonracing

Peter McCormick
Aug 3, 2009
Fife, Scotland
Hi folks, iv got the 225 leon cupra r and for some reason the gasket between the turbo and outlet manifold keeps blowing! think iv replaced twice already!:wtf: does any1 know wat the problem could b? or is there anything i can put on the gasket to make a sort of better seal? such as silicone or sumthing?? its a metal gasket thats there and jst now because its blown, my car sounds like a stupid tractor!!!!!:censored:

PLEASE HELP!!!!!:cry: lol cheers!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
new botls each time? factory bolts and factory gaskets used?

are the faces square and crack free?

rideonracing

Peter McCormick
Aug 3, 2009
Fife, Scotland
yeh new bolts and new stainless steel gasket direct from seat! im not sure abt the faces, never really looked. is there any kind of sealant i could use when fiting the gasket? or wud this make maters worse?

the problem lies with the temperatures that the exhaust gases reach when being driven, up 2 almost 950degrees when being driven hard. this causes heat stretch in the bolts, allowing the tiniest gap to appear, then the pressure & sheer heat vapourises the gasket.
i read a massive thread on vw vortex and no one, nto even the dealers, seem 2 have any answers 2 the problem

i've tried that already,

theres a few other things you can do 2 minimise the chances of the bolts coming loose.

1. fitting an uprated dogbone mount reduces engine movement by up 2 60%, meaning the exhaust, which is effectively hanging off the turbo, has its movement reduced, reducing vibrations through the bolts
2. getting an aftermarket downpipe with a bigger flexi section reduces the strain goin through the bolts aswell
3. as for the problem with the exhaust temps...... don't boot your car :cartman:

its a common problem right across the VAG 1.8/2.0t range, i've heard of the same problems on the mk5 golf aswell

i "borrowed" a torque wrench from work that i set up for 30Nm and tightened the bolts using it.

but when i started the car it still sounded like a tractor so i'm needing 2 strip everything back off.

i pick up my bolts from the dealer 2morrow, along with another turbo to manifold gasket and a manifold to engine gasket

hopefully i find out where its blown from

rideonracing

Peter McCormick
Aug 3, 2009
Fife, Scotland
i pik my new gasket up from seat on wednesday n fitin a full system blueflame exhaust and decat on saturday.. when im doin the gasket, wat torque do u think i shud tighten it up 2??

but if you overtighten you can burst the threads on the bolts, or worse still, the threads in the turbo itself

i would just make sure that both flange faces are clean and free from debris and cracks/imperfections then tighten up as per the manufacturers spec of 30Nm

rideonracing

Peter McCormick
Aug 3, 2009
Fife, Scotland
that hapend ti me the first time, cross threaded the threads inside the turbo! but THANKFULLY u can actually get turbo inserts for the bolts.. they jst screw out the turbo. thats how i know how to take the turbo and manifold off.
but neway thanks allot for ur help!! much appreciated! let me know how u get on wi urs and if u fix the stupid noise!!

aha... i see now

just wish the weather wasn't so s*** or i'd crack on with stripping everything off, kinda wish i had a garage now
i also have a timing belt, auxilary belt, water pump and rear discs n pads 2 do, its all starting to mount up :(

stripped everythin out the way so far, just 2 start on the manifold bolts now

just hoping there is a break in the monsoon thats goin on outside right now

me? timing belt? not doin it all myself, my mate is a mechanic and is giving me a hand, he is gonna do the timing belt tho, i cudn't trust myself 2 do that :lol:

cupra_daveh

Sep 26, 2011
Bolton
Where did you get the inserts from for the turbo I've done mine and the inserts have come out. I've looked everywhere for them

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.