Twincharge engine to be axed?

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
Autocar, page 13,Dec 29 issue - 'Volkswagen is giving serious thought to canning its twincharger petrol engines, according to well placed insiders. The 1.4-litre engine, which mixes turbocharging and supercharging, is said to be complex and expensive to produce. Many VW engineers now believe that new turbocharging technology can achieve similar results at a much-reduced cost.'
I think VW put it in too many boring cars with a low state of tune, as low as 140bhp! It should be kept for serious stuff like the Cupra/Boc! What do you think?

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I seriously doubt they will axe it (well I hope!). Agree it should be in the serious cars like the polo gti, boc, cupra and vrs and the rocco. This really is a cracking little engine but agree, with what it is capable of it should be in uper end cars like ours.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Might have to chop mine then before this happens....................... Don't even wanna think about it tbh.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I would see them losing the the supercharger as you should be able to get past it with a Variable Geometry turbo

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
hmmm. interesting, and it would'nt surprise me if they did..
VAG have made a few engines which were doomed from the beginning.. leaving owners with a legacy of issues, whilst in warranty all well and good (inconvenient tho!) and afterwards, at the mercy of their costly repair bills... and expensive parts... W8 engine to name one such lemon.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
And yet it won International Engine of the Year every year since 2006!

How much money are the 2006 ones costing the owners now that they are out of warranty though? My boss has a company car Rocco 1.4 twin charger on a 10 plate that has spent more time in the dealers workshop than on the road. Gearbox problems and limp mode problems again and again.

Last edited:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
They'll probably just go for bi turbo or something. They'll keep the block. The downsizing is here to stay with petrol costs and emissions.

Not a worry TBH, in its more potent form its in far too many models across the board.
Golf Gt
Rocc
Ibiza
Fabia
Polo
and it's going in an A1 as well.

Also its not an lemon. If you dont have issues, which we've sort of established is not as many as you'd think the engine is an absolute peach!

Dec 3, 2009
This engine was a non starter tbh. Far to complex, and imho it will prove unreliable and expensive to fix.

Not great for anyone who has one. :doh:

Sorry to be abit of a **** but your comment seems rather pathetic and it seems you like to get a kick out of peoples misfortune.

Firstly 1.4TSI engine has won awards for 5 years now, since 2005 and in my experience what a good engine it is. I'll point what best describes the 1.4TSI:

• Performance

• Fuel Economy

• Running Cost

How many engines do you think which are 1.4 PETROL (Up To Date), has the same points as the 1.4TSI engine? Oh wait not many......

• 1.4 VTEC = 100bhp with 94lb-ft of torque and 0-60 in 13 secs and CO2 (g/km) at 135 = £110 and MPG 47.9

• 1.4 Multi Air = 170bhp with 184lb ft of torque and 0- 60 in 7.5 secs and CO2 (g/km) at 139 = £110 and MPG 47.1

• 1.4 TSI = 180bhp with 184lb ft of torque and 0 - 60 in 6.9 secs and CO2 (g/km) at 139 = £110 and MPG 47.9
(Obviously these figures are based on new updated engines and CLAIMED but you get the point.)

Secondly, Cars now a days aren't very full proof maybe you get one or two with big problems, minor issues etc doesn't mean other peoples cars will have these issues and obviously you get 3 years warranty. (By the time my car is 3 years old, I would of changed my car by then)

Anyway........ Best to keep your comments/opinions to yourself about peoples misfortune. IMHO, END OF!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
1.6 turbo will be 'THE' engine for the future, because WRC and F1 have to run them. I'm happy with my 1.4 TSi, but I do pamper it, frequent 5/50 oil changes, high octane fuel, magnetic sump plug, and run in with 'extreme prejudice'.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Anyway........ Best to keep your comments/opinions to yourself about peoples misfortune. IMHO, END OF!

I will express any opinion i ****ing well want. Who are you to tell me otherwise? Who?

If i want to say this engine is unreliable bag of nails, and will do nothing but keep SEAT lurking at the bottom of reliability and customer satisfaction surveys for many years to come then i will.

HO HO HO...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.