Twincharge engine to be axed?

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I have been toying with the iddea of chopping the boc in on either a cupra '10 plate or a new cupra r next year maybe but............. i don't know. The appeal of the boc is just too much for me and tbh I think I would rather get a 10 plate GTI before a Leon. As nice as the Leon is, I just find it lacking in that WOW factor for me. I don't hate it so don't get me wrong but just put the boc and cupra next to each other and I am sorry, the boc just looks soooo much better and more aggressive. I really don't know what to do. You guys are scaring me with your trash talk about nthis engine, yet I have not had so much as a days hassle with it........................

Deleted member 49882

I can't see how the engine is being made redundant so soon...especially after it has now been rolled out across the VAG range... I wouldnt be getting too worried about it...there are just too many cars with the engine now fitted for it to be all-of-a-sudden axed. That is not to say that as the next few years go by that a new engine wont replace the current...its called evolution lol.

Like you Jason, I have been thinking about a Leon Cupra / R as my next car...but correct me if I am wrong, but the new Leon is more of a facelift rather than a completely new designed car??!!?? So, I am going to hold fire for the next year or so...save some monies and see what developments are in the pipeline.

Last edited by a moderator:

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I agree with you mate. I can tell you though, the new Leon will completely different. I believe it will take most of it's styling from the IBE concept we have seen. This little bit of info was given to me from some one at SEAT UK HQ. As for it's validity................ we will have to wait and see I guess.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Its printed in one car mag which is know for using fake photoshopped images. I wouldn't take it as fack for one second. Engine of the year numerous times I would.

They say its expensive to produce.. so what not my problem, just lower profit margined for them and maybe slightly higher prices initially for us (which is true) but how many 220BHP cars do you know with low tax and (i can anyway) get 45mpg quite easily.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Sorry to be abit of a **** but your comment seems rather pathetic and it seems you like to get a kick out of peoples misfortune.

Firstly 1.4TSI engine has won awards for 5 years now, since 2005 and in my experience what a good engine it is. I'll point what best describes the 1.4TSI:

• Performance

• Fuel Economy

• Running Cost

How many engines do you think which are 1.4 PETROL (Up To Date), has the same points as the 1.4TSI engine? Oh wait not many......

• 1.4 VTEC = 100bhp with 94lb-ft of torque and 0-60 in 13 secs and CO2 (g/km) at 135 = £110 and MPG 47.9

• 1.4 Multi Air = 170bhp with 184lb ft of torque and 0- 60 in 7.5 secs and CO2 (g/km) at 139 = £110 and MPG 47.1

• 1.4 TSI = 180bhp with 184lb ft of torque and 0 - 60 in 6.9 secs and CO2 (g/km) at 139 = £110 and MPG 47.9
(Obviously these figures are based on new updated engines and CLAIMED but you get the point.)

Secondly, Cars now a days aren't very full proof maybe you get one or two with big problems, minor issues etc doesn't mean other peoples cars will have these issues and obviously you get 3 years warranty. (By the time my car is 3 years old, I would of changed my car by then)

Anyway........ Best to keep your comments/opinions to yourself about peoples misfortune. IMHO, END OF!

[B)]
winning awards doesnt mean its going to be the best engine in the world , never break down or fail
what did they win awards for ? technology i bet , but reading through the ibiza mk5 forums the problems speak volumes , if you get a car with no problems then you are lucky but if you are one of the unlucky ones with problems over and over hearing that the engine has won awards for the last 5 years doesnt really mean a lot does it?
the warranty is only as good as the dealer ship your car is looked at , just cause you have a warranty doesnt mean it can or will be fixed.
if you rely on fault finding instead of just plugging in to sort out a code then you might as well talk marsian to most dealerships.
maybe a bit of sympathy for the guys who are having problems wouldnt go a miss instead of singing the praise for an engine which is clearly flawed.
i was told by a master tech over a year ago that the 1.4 engines are a nightmare with nothing but trouble just my w pence worth.

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
Im sure it's a fine engine for performance, i just feel for the people who are going to have to live with it 4 or 5 years down the line.

I remember the same thing happening with the Renault 5 GT Turbos all those years ago. If you got a good one you were lucky, if you got a bad one your life was ruined until you sold it. (it's why I bought my 205 GTI:D)

Time will tell, however as has already been said if there are already many problems appearing and dealerships are struggling to fix them then it doesn't look rosy.

Sounds like Revo's master tech is going to be very busy. ;)

May 4, 2009
Leeds
i wouldnt worry, i know iam not.

not the most reliable source and the engine has FARR to much potential to stop developing it now. The Polo GTI Has literally just come out

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I remember the same thing happening with the Renault 5 GT Turbos all those years ago. If you got a good one you were lucky, if you got a bad one your life was ruined until you sold it. (it's why I bought my 205 GTI:D)

Time will tell, however as has already been said if there are already many problems appearing and dealerships are struggling to fix them then it doesn't look rosy.

Sounds like Revo's master tech is going to be very busy. ;)

Happy Christmas Steve :)

looks like these 1.4's were made by the same pedro who made mine mate lol

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
Happy Christmas Steve :)

looks like these 1.4's were made by the same pedro who made mine mate lol

Happy Crimbo Rob, yeah it's beginning to go that way and looks like there will be many others learning how much fun the SEAT customers services band wagon is. :cartman:

Good luck to anyone who is having issues.

Leonidas

I wonder who made the decision to put that engine in the Ibiza anyway. Made sence at the time to put the 1.8 TSi in it...

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Happy Crimbo Rob, yeah it's beginning to go that way and looks like there will be many others learning how much fun the SEAT customers services band wagon is. :cartman:

Good luck to anyone who is having issues.

well we will see but the stories on here so far are far from giving potential owners a warm feeling , wonder if it will harm resales values? i hope not for owners , but if they do pull the engines then not a good advert!

Deleted member 49882

well we will see but the stories on here so far are far from giving potential owners a warm feeling , wonder if it will harm resales values? i hope not for owners , but if they do pull the engines then not a good advert!

I just can't see how they can just 'pull the engine' ... as said before, the engine has been rolled out wholesale now across the VAG group, so any potential issue is not solely a SEAT problem. If VAG were anyway concerned then they simply wouldn't have launched the engine any further, especially with their flagship Polo GTI and the new Audi...looks like we are all in it together then if there does turn out to be an issue! I was half expecting some problems with the car over the frozen period where temperatures dropped to -15 most nights...no problems whatsoever ... car started on the first turn of the key ... so, that in itself tells me something !

Edit: from the same magazine ...
http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Skoda-Fabia-1.4-TSI-180-vRS/249751/

Last edited by a moderator:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Lol this totally blown out all proportion! There have been a few problems but it's not like the forum is spilling over with them. It's the same as any other car.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Lol this totally blown out all proportion! There have been a few problems but it's not like the forum is spilling over with them. It's the same as any other car.

just out of intrest to lay this one to bed then , run a poll , direct question has your 1.4tsi had engine problems if so what?
see what results you get , you never know i might buy 1 if the results are favourable ;)