Twincharge engine to be axed?

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
just out of intrest to lay this one to bed then , run a poll , direct question has your 1.4tsi had engine problems if so what?
see what results you get , you never know i might buy 1 if the results are favourable ;)

So you'll not be buying one then Rob????

After the issues with your TFSI are you sure you want another SEAT let alone VAG?

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
Lol this totally blown out all proportion! There have been a few problems but it's not like the forum is spilling over with them. It's the same as any other car.

That is so true. I have just been unlucky. IT happens first time for everything. I have tosay when it works it works really well. Currently driving the Mk 1 RS and one thing I have noticed is that the difference in power delivery is more constant than the RS, that is more dirve it like you stole it all the time the beauty of the Boc is you can just pootle around in it and when you want it to go it does. When it comes back I am going to keep it for another two years and see where we go from there

REVO next!:D When it returns

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
So you'll not be buying one then Rob????

After the issues with your TFSI are you sure you want another SEAT let alone VAG?

lol no mate , you having a laugh , well and truly off vag mate SEAT worst car ever
thinking of buying a Kia next :whistle:

tbh anyone higher than SEAT in the jd power poll lol

oh and for those of you reading this who think they have just been unlucky , you wont be telling yourselves that a year down the line with the same issues , if you have the chance reject the car and start again i wish i did , thats speaking from experience.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Yeah but your bound to be bitter as you had a very bad experience.

I'm going to keep my car which i'm thrilled with and completely disregard this scare mongering (which is what it is) from people who have no real FACTS.

We did a poll recently about fuel and engine issues which will still get you the same answers and there were less problems reported than even I expected.

I think we should lay this one to rest until there is some solid evidence.

Who's to say there will be problems down the line?? The golf GT has had the twin charged engine since 2006 and there are cars with 80/100k and they are going fine... OOOOOh big problems indeed.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Seriously I googled and there is nothing on the whole wide tinterwisle referring to the engine getting the axe. There was only talk of it going in more cars!!

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
There you have it then folks, crtacking little motor after all hehehehehehehe. I may chop the boc in after 3 years as there is a tasty little golf r fully specced coming available about then hehehehehehheheehhehe

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Yeah but your bound to be bitter as you had a very bad experience.

I'm going to keep my car which i'm thrilled with and completely disregard this scare mongering (which is what it is) from people who have no real FACTS.

We did a poll recently about fuel and engine issues which will still get you the same answers and there were less problems reported than even I expected.

I think we should lay this one to rest until there is some solid evidence.

Who's to say there will be problems down the line?? The golf GT has had the twin charged engine since 2006 and there are cars with 80/100k and they are going fine... OOOOOh big problems indeed.

not bitter mate , unless you have experienced actually how bad SEAT are as a company then you have no idea !
its about anything you buy if its good you dont hear about it unless someone asks your opinion , but the people who have had bad experiences have been left out to dry , yes me included , i hope you never experience just how bad things can be its very much pot luck oh and this is my second SEAT first one was outstanding thing i am only gutted about is selling that and buying the one i have.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I will express any opinion i ****ing well want. Who are you to tell me otherwise? Who?

If i want to say this engine is unreliable bag of nails, and will do nothing but keep SEAT lurking at the bottom of reliability and customer satisfaction surveys for many years to come then i will.

HO HO HO...

Yep I agree. if you have personal experience (good or bad) that gives you an opinion then as long as it's within the forum rules it's fine.

ShiftySid

Jul 27, 2010
The golf GT has had the twin charged engine since 2006 and there are cars with 80/100k and they are going fine... OOOOOh big problems indeed.

Hmm true to a point, but you will find the Golf is assembled better. Mine's in the garage with a wiring problem - VAG parts, but screwed together by communists in Spain...

I'm probably going back to Vauxhall after the Cupra. Have had 6 in the last 14 years and not had a sinlge problem with any of them.

Deleted member 49882

Right, listen, every manufacturer have problems with their cars. Every single car I have every bought, there have been issues...broken shock absorbers, faulty recaros, leaks etc...Unless you are in the uber rich club, all dealers will be very quick to take your money of you when buying a car BUT perhaps not so quick to repair / replace faulty goods or provide a 1st class after-service! Once you buy a car, especially on finance, you enter into an agreement which unfortunately is probably not the easiest to get out off and it is never going to be as simple as taking your faulty car back and asking for you money back.

I dare say regardless which ever car forum you log into, you will read thread after thread of mechanical difficulties and problems with cars / dealerships etc.

What I am trying to say is, get over it! Unfortunately we will probably all have issues with our cars at some stage and difficulties with dealers. Regardless of the manufacturer, cars are mechanical...they break (and yes, I have had problems with my Boc, ie blown turbo). I guess if you have had a bad experience with a dealership / brand as Rob seems to have done, then of course this is going to taint your view and opinion...I dare say that is why you hear people saying things like, 'I will never drive [such and such a car] ever again'. Prime example is given above by ShifySid...he personally has never had any problems with Vauxhall, but I have read all sorts of horror stories about their reliability. Sure, the Corsa VXR has reknown issues with their engines / pistons basically melting lol.

So...only time will tell, but at the moment I am more than happy with my own car.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Well said Dave and I completely agree. Go onto any forum and majority of the stuff you will read about are complaints. I wish there was a way to get stats on all the 1.4 tsi engines that have issues. I will bet they are a minimum otherwise VW would never have gone ahead with the production of this engine.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I have had issues with some of the seats that I have owned in the past but I've always had V good service. I had a cruise control issue with a mk4 Ibiza FR 20vt that took 10 days to fix but the service manager gave me his own car to drive for that time as they only had 1.2 Ibizas as loan cars. I may be wrong but I think a lot of the customer service issues come down to if you're on finance or if you have bought the car outright. They must realise that a person buying a 1.4 ibiza on finance for 5 years isn't holding too many of the cards whereas a person buying a leon FR for example outright for cash is holding a damn site more of the cards. The 5 year finance customer is not so likely to be buyig again next year but the cash buyer is, When you book your car in for a service or repair the computer will tell them which of the 2 types of customer you are. Food for thought?

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I have had issues with some of the seats that I have owned in the past but I've always had V good service. I had a cruise control issue with a mk4 Ibiza FR 20vt that took 10 days to fix but the service manager gave me his own car to drive for that time as they only had 1.2 Ibizas as loan cars. I may be wrong but I think a lot of the customer service issues come down to if you're on finance or if you have bought the car outright. They must realise that a person buying a 1.4 ibiza on finance for 5 years isn't holding too many of the cards whereas a person buying a leon FR for example outright for cash is holding a damn site more of the cards. The 5 year finance customer is not so likely to be buyig again next year but the cash buyer is, When you book your car in for a service or repair the computer will tell them which of the 2 types of customer you are. Food for thought?

wasnt the case for me 17k outright purchase and the dealers all of them have been utter crap
SEAT customer (lack) of care sent me to a dealership that hadnt even fully opened as a dealership the signs were not even up , you should have seen the look on the service managers face when i explained my problem , was even worse when he had to explain to me that they havent even had the training to use the diagnostic equipment !

because the dealers are indepandent , if you find a good one they are worth their weight in gold , but unfortunatley most of them think its just an easy way for them to print money.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Its printed in one car mag which is know for using fake photoshopped images. I wouldn't take it as fack for one second. Engine of the year numerous times I would.

+1

I really hope they don't drop the TSI, its a great little engine.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members