tyre width and maybe bushes?

ramzy_86

Oct 13, 2007
Hi I have looked at different threads and cannot seem to find the answer to my question,if its out there in the forum i do apologize!
I have a leon cupra 2001 model with standard 16in rims.I have 205/55/r16 at the moment.The problem is I had pirelli p7s in the front and pirelli p6000 in back.I have found the p7's to be a better tyre but it had worm out in the front more so swoppped them to the back and the p6000 to the front.
My problem is that I am findin that the car understeers a hell of a lot more.The tread on the tyres are very good,esp on the front ones(altho inferior tyres) I have found this problem esp on a rondabout where i could easily go around at 30mph and it would go round fine,Now It understeers like never b4,even in the dry.
Any idea what this could be?
Is it worth changing the tyres to a wider width,ie, 225/55/16,would this make a difference,I have read good reviews about the falken 452 if im not mistaken.
I recently got car remapped by p torque and the difference is incredible and before that installed new poly dogbone mount bushes,but when I drove to p torque the mount came abit loose,so vw rescue were kind enough to tighten the mount so I could drive home in peace.The friendly man(steve) also told me that my anti roll bushes were getting soft and they would need changing at my discretion.I guessing this also affects the handling.
Any views or tips or help is much appreciated.
I thank you all in advance:(:(

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Changing to 225 tyres (at 55 profile) will increase your rolling radius, putting your speedo out.

P6000 are little more than bands of black plastic. I'd put them at least partially at fault over your handling probs.

ramzy_86

Oct 13, 2007
Changing to 225 tyres (at 55 profile) will increase your rolling radius, putting your speedo out.

P6000 are little more than bands of black plastic. I'd put them at least partially at fault over your handling probs.

Thanx,so the extra width wont help in tyre to road surface ratio?

ramzy_86

Oct 13, 2007
If it was me and I was sticking with 16" wheels, I'd stick with 205 55 profile and get some really good tyres. There's some cracking deals at the moment on that size.

thanx alot mate,any idea where the gud deals are?and which tyres to go for?btw nice car;)looks very fast!

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
If you go wider you would need a lower profile tyre to keep the speedo correct
wider tyres will help with the understeer and get rid or the pirelli's ASAP.
If your going to replace the bushes replace them with power- flex poly bushes these will also improve the handeling

ramzy_86

Oct 13, 2007
Thankx alot mate,could you tell me which profile to go for?if I were to go for 225 on my standard rims

joely

Mar 20, 2006
Towcester
I just changed from 205/55/16 to the face lift alloys with 225/45/17s and handling wise it is so, so, so much better. Mind you the tyres were a bit suspect on the 16s. I would recommend going down this route if you can.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.