Tyres Again - Uniroyal Rainsport 2 Vs Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - Opinions?

paul m

Right, I need to replace all 4 tyres on my Mk1 TDi FR, existing Khumos & Michelins are f*cked & also now seem to be shaped like 50pence pieces!

I've pretty much decided to go for either the uniroyal Rainsport 2's or the Sessanta's. I would be interested to hear any opinions on either tyre & also recommendations for where to get them from. For 225/45 R17's, the best price I've found is £300 for a set of the rainsports (plus fitting), or £330 for the sessantas (plus fitting).

Any pointers much appreciated!

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
i found the unisports reassuring in the rain (when you really do need the grip) and paid approx 280 quid for them but i had 205/40/17's on my car. i reckon you cant go wrong with either tyre as they are well known brands.

paul m

Tyres shaped like 50p pieces point to suspension problems.

It did cross my mind, but i cant detect any obvious knocking & the car feels pretty stable when pressing on. I can't imagine its a geometry setting issue as the tyres have worn evenly across the tread.

Any pointers on what to look for?

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
ah Rainsports....

had them on my passat TDi. if they failed to control 110hp in the wet i would hate to see what they are like with 200hp +

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
ah Rainsports....

had them on my passat TDi. if they failed to control 110hp in the wet i would hate to see what they are like with 200hp +

Are you sure they were rainsports? They control my 200bhp and 300lbft better than any other tyre I've tried. In fact they are the best tyre I've ever tried

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
yep uniroyal rainsports.

were part worn when i got the car. lasted about 2 months before i took them off.

Found them to slide alot in the wet, and the passat wasnt really a car you throw around :(

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
vreds are simple brilliant in my opinion! Wipe the floor compared to dunlops, michelins and falkens!

paul m

ah Rainsports....

was that the rainsport 2's or the original rainsport? From what i can tell the rainsport 2's are a step forward over the older tyre

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
was that the rainsport 2's or the original rainsport? From what i can tell the rainsport 2's are a step forward over the older tyre

Rainsport 1's had the same performance as RS 2's from what I can tell. I had a set before moving to RS 2's. I'm really surprised that they were poor on the Passat. All my friends I've recommended them to have all said they were miles better compared to their old tyres. All on those cars were well over 200bhp (remapped TT, tuned WRX and Z3 M). Every car has different characteristics though.

paul m

Or non XL tyres?

Checked the rear tyres (michelin pilots) & they are not 'XL' rated as specified by SEAT so maybe that is the problem.

Anyway I am getting a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 2's fitted tomorrow (£340 fitted) - will report back here on impressions....

ikhlaq206

Its all about the .:R
Jul 25, 2006
I've got a set of Vredesteins on the rear for my lcr and they're simply brilliant

Go for them, you wont regret it :)

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
I'm also looking to get Vreds, as I've heard nothing but good about them. Just a silly question, because of tread pattern isnt uniform, can any post up a pic of what their fitted tyre looks like? Just so that I know that they have been fitted correctly. Or is there some marking on the tyre that identifies to the fitter how it should go on?

I'm sure that the fitters will know what they are doing, but would just like to see so that i dont get the wool pulled over my eyes.

Cheers JP

EDIT - Apparently doesnt matter, as you dont get a left and right tyre... well according to this thread

Last edited:

cookie1978

Jun 17, 2009
huddersfield
It will have a yellow dot or white paint dot on the sidewall of the tyre, this must go in line to the tyres valve. This ensures that when its balanced it should balance using as little amount of balance weights as possible. Also check if its a directional tyre its on the right side of the car facing the correct way. Worth telling them the correct pressures for your car as most tyre fitters just bang 30psi in em.

csa

i know this is a old post but for the people that are looking for cheap
vredestein and uniroyal this could be a good place to start tyremen.co.uk[/url]
most places i tryed wanted me to wait for them to come in to stock but tyremen had uniroyal in stock and delvered the next day.

c

Leoncuprarfan

Aug 27, 2009
Chesterfield
Can't really comment on the rainsports as I've never tried them but had the verd's on for 12 months now and I think there excellent in both wet and dry conditions. Probably the best tyre I've tried.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.