unknown engine code

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
Well i have searched high and low for this one but can't find it anywhere. It appears the engine code for my leon cupra is 'AUG'. Is this right? can't find any mention of it anywhere. Full code is AUG001487, as listed under engine number on the V5 reg form. It's a x reg 2000. 1.8 20v turbo cupra. Reg... if that helps, x174 bvv.

thanks

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
It may very well be AUQ ? Have a look on the timing belt cover - There should be a sticker with the engine number printed on it. I thought that the number was alot longer than that ?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
AUQ, perhaps? That is a 180 BHp 20vT engine, although not listed for that year. AJQ is, though.

The engine code and serial number should be stamped on the block where it joins the bellhousing.

Last edited:

smivvy

Seat Leon Cupra
Apr 21, 2008
Northants
It may well be the APP engine especially on this year.

I put mine through a vehicle reg check and it was shown to be an AJQ which is an engine I had neve seen before. I know it was an APP.

Having said this I placed an AUQ engine into mine with minimal modifications (or rather the mechanic did)

I would say your engine is the APP. Check on the white sticker in the boot or on the engine itself. It's embossed on a jutted out plate which is quite visible

wackyracer

Wackyracer
May 12, 2007
Southampton
had a quick check on the cam belt cover and it says AUQ. think it may just be a misprint on the registration form. Couldn't find any sticker in spare wheel area but will have a proper look on engine during the day.
thanks for the advice guys.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
AJQ or APP is more likely for your year of manufacture, AUQ is a slightly later engine. If you can check in your service book or on the boot sticker, it will tell you what engine the car was built around.

If what you have now is an AUQ then it may have been put in later (after a blowup?) or swapped in as an upgrade. Is it modded at all?

MrJohnnyB

Apr 10, 2008
Sudbury, Suffolk
My Y reg is a AUQ engine, but i thought the Y was the first of the AUQ engines. that said, there may have been some late X reg ones with the engine i guess...

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Either way if it is an AUQ and your V5 states it has an AUG engine code you might want to look at getting it changed. If in doubt give your local dealer a call to clarify it for you.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
My Y reg is a AUQ engine, but i thought the Y was the first of the AUQ engines. that said, there may have been some late X reg ones with the engine i guess...

jan 2001 was the apparent start for AUQ which includes X plates.(like mine;))
but i imagine it depends what was sitting on the shelf at the time.
ive actually got strange yellow trimmed mats in the car.. i wonder if mine was in fact a press car?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Where does it say AUG? V5, build sticker, or engine block? As Chris says above, AUG is a 150 BHp engine, so I'd be surprised to find in in a Leon Cupra. Id' expect you have an AUQ engine (check on the block) and the AUG is a misprint or faded print. The font used on the buld stickers is quite squared-off and if it's poorly printed might well look like a G when it is in fact a Q.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise