Update on hids!!!!!!!!

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
Right i fitted my relay this morning so i could get my hids running directly of the battery and hay ho its now working, there is no dial issues etc the computer does not reset itself.

However........

I am still getting a prob with my lights, when i switch to sidelights my hids stay on, does anyone know why it would be doing this?? For some reason when i put my sidelights on there is voltage going to the hids?? Perhaps the original light relay is broken, does anyone know where this is located??

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
anyone know what the prob could be or where the light relay is situated???

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
theres only one way you can wire them though m0rk!!! The way they are wired is fine, its just when i have my sidelights on they flicker and i get a buzzing noise through speakers etc ive checked the wiring and its fine

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
theres only one way you can wire them though m0rk!!!

just to sanity check....

the positive connection that was connected to the back of the bulb & the -ve/ground connection to the 'shell' of the bulb holder? - these connect to spade terminals on the HID loom?

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
the thing is the 'shell of the bulb holder' is rubber therefore not creating a ground so the ground is being shared with the sidelights, i thought this may be the problem so i ran the earth straight back to the battery and it still happened!!

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
it cannot be anything to do with the hids as they are working independantly and not goin near the sidelights. I personally think that whatever switches the dipped beam to sidelights is broken. However i dont know where the relay is that does this. Or it may be the switch in the interior but i dont know where to get hold off one for cheap lol!!

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
m0rk or anyone who has a meter. If you put it to the buzzer setting to see what pins are connected on the harness on the rear of the light switch. Then i can compare to see if mine is broke! Cheapest ive found switch is £50 ebay its apparently £102 from seat!!!

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
thanks mate would be a great help i really dont understand how it could be the hids as the only way they are connected to the sidelights is through the interior light switch. Maybe whilst i was playing with the hids it blew the internal switches in the switch or sumin i dont kno!! drivin me crazy tho lol!

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
another update!! Took my gfs switch out of her polo and tried it in mine and still doing the same thing!! Threfore cannot be the switch. From the switch do the wires go directly to headlights or do they go to a relay anyone??? If so then it may be the relay. If it isnt the relay then i reckon my hids ballasts arent working properly or sumin aaaggghh!!

KERMITCUPRA

Nov 22, 2006
READING
Just had a thought, your side lights and head lamps are linked if you have what they call dim, dip headlamps. Before you fitted your HIDS did your headlamps come on but very dim when you put on your side lamps?
Or try ..... take out your battery and tucked down in the inside of the wing you will see a yellow block plug. Just unplug it........ Worth a try.....

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
well bloody hell there was a yellow plug, unplugged it and it works they switch properly know!!! However, sometimes one of the sidelights doesnt fir up does anyone know what this could be?? Thanks Kermit mate

KERMITCUPRA

Nov 22, 2006
READING
Mind of useless info......:redface: also i want to get some HIDS for mine and just see what problems people have. Whats this relay business, Were did you get this relay from and how did it wire in.

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
its a piece of piss, the relay is used to take pwer straight from the battery to the lights rather than from the loom. The relay has 4 connections, a positive, ground, positive to lights and a switch live from your interior switch.

It is really easy mate and hids (when they work) are a cool mod

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
got to say i LOVE the HiD conversion now that its all working, although at the mo i got some maxpower blue sidelights look SO chavy got some philips ones on order thing there 3600k so they will have a slight blue tinge and should look nice!

Thanks again kermitcupra for helping me with my problem!!

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
like the thread above its for dipped dim lights. Basically when you have your sidelights on your dipped beam comes on dim. But when i had the HiDs running this made the HIDs flicker and was annoying i wanted to run the sidelights on there own

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
like the thread above its for dipped dim lights. Basically when you have your sidelights on your dipped beam comes on dim. But when i had the HiDs running this made the HIDs flicker and was annoying i wanted to run the sidelights on there own

I dont think i will have a use for this yellow plug as i only have a 1.4 so i dont have the lights that are on the gti. So i think that will be the reason that it isnt plugged into anything.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise