Tell

Staff member
Oh okay, literally just interested in Speed cameras for now.
Defining other POI's definitely something I'd like in to down the line, for other uses cases.

Will give it go using your guide...Ca I ask does POInspector affect existing default POI's already uploaded on the Nav e.g. the ones it came with?
They are additional user pois. You have up to 9 additional user poi categories you can add to what you already have. They appear at the end of the list when imported.

Really you have to be a bit into GPS but once you make your template in Poinspector you can just re read updates into it. Cameras + any destinations. Add hotels, car parks onroute etc. You see them on the map as well.

There are free mib camera databases but you don't know how timely they are. The PocketGPSWorld ones you know the source of them. The others can have an element of being stolen. Some countries publish x,y coordinates others don't. UK doesn't.

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Jumping onto this post.
I have a MIB2 877 model.
I have seen on this post that poi inspector has been modified to work on this unit.
But as that seems quite a daunting procedure I wondered if anyone knows if the scdb also would have been modified?
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Thanks

Tell

Staff member
Jumping onto this post.
I have a MIB2 877 model.
I have seen on this post that poi inspector has been modified to work on this unit.
But as that seems quite a daunting procedure I wondered if anyone knows if the scdb also would have been modified?
Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Thanks
Is there not an scdb demo test you can try ?. It rings a bell.

Basically it was a model identifier that was missing from the import. It would rule out all of the Seat mib 2 standards with built in WiFi if scdb didn't fix it. It might have been that one where it was lifted from at the time. You see the identifier on the firmware import files as well. It might have been deduced from there. I passed that ID onto the Poinspector programmer once it was identified... recall it was a German board without reading the thread. Basically it's the Seat wifi mib2 standard ID for the unit.

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Is there not an scdb demo test you can try ?. It rings a bell.

Basically it was a model identifier that was missing from the import. It would rule out all of the Seat mib 2 standards with built in WiFi if scdb didn't fix it. It might have been that one where it was lifted from at the time. You see the identifier on the firmware import files as well. It might have been deduced from there. I passed that ID onto the Poinspector programmer once it was identified... recall it was a German board without reading the thread. Basically it's the Seat wifi mib2 standard ID for the unit.
TELL
thanks for the speedy reply.
I will download the demo. I have also messaged them to check.
I presume that poinspector will now work for the 877 version as per normal ?
Still looks daunting ( hence the desire to spend £10 a year LOL)

Tell

Staff member
TELL
thanks for the speedy reply.
I will download the demo. I have also messaged them to check.
I presume that poinspector will now work for the 877 version as per normal ?
Still looks daunting ( hence the desire to spend £10 a year LOL)
Poinpsector does. It's how the Spanish database of speed cameras is done for the Spanish board. Spanish speed camera locations are public domain so one of their board members / mods does it using Poinpsector.

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Poinpsector does. It's how the Spanish database of speed cameras is done for the Spanish board. Spanish speed camera locations are public domain so one of their board members / mods does it using Poinpsector.
So Possibly I could buy one from there? presuming its all of europe!

Tell

Staff member
So Possibly I could buy one from there? presuming its all of europe!
Spanish ones are only Spain. It's a community free Spanish Seat board thing since the camera locations are public domain published. Australia is the same. The PocketGPSWorld ones for the world or whatever they cover are crowd sourced. You pay £18 a year for the data or there abouts for a single user license and can then import them into Poinspector. The ones that are "free" or fell off a back of a lorry you don't know how old they are and what they cover, fixed, mobile etc. The mobile ones are where mobile cameras have been seen. They are useful.

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Spanish ones are only Spain. It's a community free Spanish Seat board thing since the camera locations are public domain published. Australia is the same. The PocketGPSWorld ones for the world or whatever they cover are crowd sourced. You pay £18 a year for the data or there abouts for a single user license and can then import them into Poinspector. The ones that are "free" or fell off a back of a lorry you don't know how old they are and what they cover, fixed, mobile etc. The mobile ones are where mobile cameras have been seen. They are useful.
Thanks for that
I think I have the pgpsw subscription for my old tomtom and garmin bike sat nav. Its just me being scared of poinspector lol

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for that
I think I have the pgpsw subscription for my old tomtom and garmin bike sat nav. Its just me being scared of poinspector lol
I use five data sources for POInspector. Two are the UK fixed and mobile camera. Two the non UK fixed and mobile cameras. Fifth being my favourite destinations the last one being a comma seperated file of XY coordinates. The camera ones are the OV2 ones from memory. You use destinations once you import into the infotainment system you can tap onto them on the map then save as a destination. That's an old Skoda trick I was told of how you can get your destinations into the destination menu. I did take all of my old CoPilot ones and get them in that way via export and import. I didn't fancy typing in 100 X,Y coordinates.

Anyhow once you have built the Poisnpector proforma import you keep it and don't change it. Just just import the five data files as required. I tend to update the speed camera less frequent than the destinations. I keep two cars up-to-date with these both with mib2 so you got the same destination points in them for outings. Car parks for walks, favourite stop offs etc.

Reactions: Stringman

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
I use five data sources for POInspector. Two are the UK fixed and mobile camera. Two the non UK fixed and mobile cameras. Fifth being my favourite destinations the last one being a comma seperated file of XY coordinates. The camera ones are the OV2 ones from memory. You use destinations once you import into the infotainment system you can tap onto them on the map then save as a destination. That's an old Skoda trick I was told of how you can get your destinations into the destination menu. I did take all of my old CoPilot ones and get them in that way via export and import. I didn't fancy typing in 100 X,Y coordinates.

Anyhow once you have built the Poisnpector proforma import you keep it and don't change it. Just just import the five data files as required. I tend to update the speed camera less frequent than the destinations. I keep two cars up-to-date with these both with mib2 so you got the same destination points in them for outings. Car parks for walks, favourite stop offs etc.
Sounds great thankyou. To be honest as I have a pgpsw subscription I would probably have a similar set up, the only pois I really want would be supermarkets and take away food. I presume if I listed the supermarket brand individually that would count towards my poi allowance and exceed it? Thus I guess it would need to be a group supermarket poi .
Thanks so much for your help and tolerance.
And apologies if I seem to be posting on every thread going, I think its better to do that than hijack a post and change the direction of that.
Thanks again

Tell

Staff member
Sounds great thankyou. To be honest as I have a pgpsw subscription I would probably have a similar set up, the only pois I really want would be supermarkets and take away food. I presume if I listed the supermarket brand individually that would count towards my poi allowance and exceed it? Thus I guess it would need to be a group supermarket poi .
Thanks so much for your help and tolerance.
And apologies if I seem to be posting on every thread going, I think its better to do that than hijack a post and change the direction of that.
Thanks again
You can only have 9 user POI collections between the car and yours. So you juggle with the built in ones and yours. Think it's 9, whatever I said. I have 5 + 4 assuming I remembered 9 as correct.

Reactions: Stringman
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.