URGENT HELP & ADVICE NEEDED !

Apr 4, 2022
hello i currently use a toledo mk4 as a taxi and over the past few weeks going through hell and back with it. i visited a local garage to sort out a weird noise that was coming on every time i went over a speed bump here is a list of parts i replaced so far - 4 shocks & springs , both front control arm - wheel bearing - both front drop links that sorted the noise out but upon installing the front shocks the garage screwed something up im sure i saw him hammering the hub to remove the shocks and now on the drivers side the car drives like it got a flat tyre but tyres are fine they changed wheels to and its still making the noise the drive shaft i have been told is fine and there is also a brand new bearing in the hub has anyone got any ideas what the issue might be ?

Side Note - Everything that is to do with moving part ( which rotates the wheel seems to be fine ) the only thing i did not replace is the drive shaft as the garage tells me the drive shaft is fine

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
Can you describe the noise in a bit more detail?

I also have a noise when going over speed bumps; it is rubber-related (gets worse in cold weather, disappears in warm weather). It's a squeaking / graunching noise. Apparently this was a common problem when the Mk4 Toledo and its sister car, the Skoda Rapid were released. As far as I've gleaned it can be 3 things:

1. Antiroll bar bushes. I was convinced this was my problem but after greasing them with rubber grease the noise is still there
2. Gearbox mount. I understand that replacing this with the stronger TDI version can help (I expect your car is already diesel so ignore this)
3. Rear bushes in the front wishbones.

You might be able to spray WD40 over any of these bushes to see whether that makes any difference. I'm about to try that myself.

Reactions: Tell

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
My first Toledo MK4 (2014) did this creaking over speed bumps from the front left the whole 3 years I had it.

Many solutions were tried over on Briskoda, but few fixed it. Drop links got mentioned a lot.
Since no-one ever really cured it, I didn't bother trying. It never affected how it drove, tyre wear or anything else.

My second one, (2017) never did it.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
You’d have to hammer the hub to remove the shock that’s the only way. Is the wheel that feels like the tyres flat hotter then the rest of the wheels as it could be a seized caliper dragging making it feel like your driving with a flat tyre. You need to Jack it up and spin that wheel to see if it spins AFTER you’ve driven it so it gets hot. Also the tracking might be massively out now with the shocks have been off etc. I’d check these things first if it was my car altho it’s difficult just going by your description.

JamieSeatMaster

May 7, 2021
You’d have to hammer the hub to remove the shock that’s the only way. Is the wheel that feels like the tyres flat hotter then the rest of the wheels as it could be a seized caliper dragging making it feel like your driving with a flat tyre. You need to Jack it up and spin that wheel to see if it spins AFTER you’ve driven it so it gets hot. Also the tracking might be massively out now with the shocks have been off etc. I’d check these things first if it was my car altho it’s difficult just going by your description.
Your not supposed to use a hammer, you should be using the vag tool 3424... it's a spreader for the shocker and it goes where the bolt is so if youre doing it properly no hammer is needed. The tool is only a tenner on eBay.

Tell

Staff member
That will be in the Erwin manual where it nicely tells you which tools to use for which job. Mind you I don't get my hands mucky, I leave it for others 🤣. The Erwin downloads are good value for money. Details here:

Nov 26, 2020
I had a strange noise too and it was a square chunk of metal between the airbox and the firewall. Don't know what it's called but it was loose, so I jammed it back onto the top where there were two plastic clips. The knocking sound over speed bumps are gone now.

Nov 26, 2020
mmexport1651083857995.jpg
I've circled the metal piece I was talking about

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members