Useful / Trivial Things You May Not Know About Your Leon . . .

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
I've noticed loads of little things that I wanted to share with you all and been meaning to do it for ages so HERE GOES!! :D feel free to add more if I've missed any.

Some things may be obvious to some people, but others may not have noticed.

Wipers.

*When you switch the engine off, but the key is still in, press the wiper stalk down once and your wipers rest at the bottom of the window instead of the sides (only works until the key is turned again) - I don't see the point in this really but it does it!!

*When you squirt the washer jets on the front, the wipers wipe three times. If you are moving, the wipers then pause for about 3-4 seconds and then give it one last wipe to ensure all is well. this doesn't happen if you're stationary

*If you travel above 80mph (on private land ;)) with your wipers on intermittant (ie one click up) the wipers pause for a second when they are at the bottom of the window, whereas usually they come straight back up.

*If you press the stalk down once, it give the screen one normal speed wipe. Hold it down and it gives it the ultra fast wipe until you let go.

*If you have the wipers on (any setting) and you put it in reverse, the back wiper gives one wipe - even if the back wiper is switched off ;)

Wing Mirrors

*If the switch is in the middle, they are CONSTANTLY heated, regardless of the rear heated screen being on, this wastes fuel so leave the switch in the right position.

*When in the right position, both mirrors are adjusted simultaneously (this can be switched off if you have bluetooth with the larger MFD) this is useful for parking in bays as all you have to do it push the switch down, and both mirrors will point at the floor, clearly showing the lines of the bay.

Key Fob.

(This is dependant on the model of the car my 57 FR TDI has this as standard but did not work at all with my 06 2.0 FSI Stylance)
*If you hold down the lock button, your wing mirrors fold in automajically!! and unfold when the key is in the ignition (not when the unlock button is held down)

*If you hold down the unlock button, all the windows wind down!! Hold down the lock button, they all go back up!! - useful if you leave your window down and only realise after leaving the car although it is very intermittant if you are walking away from the car, so stand still and admire! ;)

(again this is standard with my FR but can be setup using VAG-COM if you ask your local dealer nicely although it did take 30 mins of faffing as it's not as straight forward as stated in the Vag-com guide, to be honest I can't remember how we did it in the end. anyway see this DanGB's guide on vag-com http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=167515)

If you have bluetooth

*You can change the door settings so that just the drivers door opens when you click the unlock button (to stop people jumping in through another door in dark car parks) two clicks opens all doors.
(this was standard on my 06 stylance but I had to change it on my 57 FR)

Launch Control

This is more than likely just to stop you over-revving the engine whilst stationary, but can still be used as launch control ;)

again model dependant - works with the FR TDI

*When stationary, engage first gear, keep clutch depressed then floor the accelerator. The revs stick at 3000rpm until you engage the clutch then all the power is unleashed :D
(not very nice in the wet though :blink:)

Electric Windows

*Not very useful but if you put your hand in the way of the window when it's on it's way up, it detects an obsticle and goes down so that you don't get your fingers crushed/chopped off. This then disables the one click up and down function for that window for a minute or so.

Stereo

*You can change the settings in "PROG" the "IGN" so that your stereo stays on when you take you key out, alternatively if it is already set to this and you wish it to turn off when you take your key out, you can change it.

Multi Funtion Display (Miles Per Gallon Indicator in Speedo Dials)

*The miles per gallon indicator has two "memories" for lack of a better word. You can click the button on the underside of the wiper stalk to flick between them. One of them stays in the memory until you reset it, but one (I think number 2??) is reset after your car has been switched off for 2 hours. You can reset both of these individually whenever you want by holding down the button on the underside of the wiper stalk when viewing the relevent memory slot.

That's all folks! Hope I helped at least one person cos it took a while to type all that.

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
Also another one, to make both left and right of your dual zone climate control go up as one, hold the AUTO button for 3 secs ;)

mrsixstring

MkII Leon FR TDi 170
Nov 6, 2007
I found all these throughout ownership too, and this is one thing that surprised me about the Leon, loads of hidden extras that you get to find out during ownership...most of which are not written in the manual! :rolleyes: I think a lot of these things are standard in most cars these days, but still really cool.

Wipers parking at bottom of window - Figured this was for helping in changing blades or windscreen. As for rear wiper coming on, watch out for that if you have forgotten to defrost the rear wiper blade in cold weather! :blink:

Both Wing Mirrors being moved at same time - Mine only does this if in the right mirror position not left (no MFD on mine)

Launch Control - never worked on mine

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
There is also the service indicator one, I think the windows open/closed trick works with the sunroof (ChirsBoyle999 could confirm).

Pressing the boot unlock on the remote unlocks just the boot saving opening the rest of the car and also locks automatically once shut.

I'm sure there are some others as well.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
There is also the service indicator one, I think the windows open/closed trick works with the sunroof (ChirsBoyle999 could confirm).

Pressing the boot unlock on the remote unlocks just the boot saving opening the rest of the car and also locks automatically once shut.

I'm sure there are some others as well.

It works with my sunroof. I can get out and close windows, sunroof, fold mirrors and lock doors. Don't know if the sunroof opens with the remote along with the windows though.............will need to try.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
It works with my sunroof. I can get out and close windows, sunroof, fold mirrors and lock doors. Don't know if the sunroof opens with the remote along with the windows though.............will need to try.

No it doesn't only opens, (well on mine it only closes).

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
Both Wing Mirrors being moved at same time - Mine only does this if in the right mirror position not left (no MFD on mine)

ye, I did say in the right position. it only does both on the right because if it did it on both the left and right positions, you'd never be able to adjust the mirrors to your requirements, and it would be pointless having the two settings . . .

to set the mirrors to your specific position (this differs depending on how far forwards you have you chair - and exactly what you want in your view) you look at the right mirror and adjust accordingly until it is in the position you want it for normal driving, then if you look at you left it will probably not be in the exact same postition that your right one is. You then switch it to the left one, which adjusts on its own, to match the right one ;)

and every Leon has an MFD (multi function display) it displays the MPG, average speed etc. . . but if you have the larger MFD that comes with the bluetooth, this mirror option can be disabled. . . if you don't have bluetooth it can be disabled using VAG-COM

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
is there any way to get the radio / climate displays to light up when actual lights aren't on i.e. whenever ignition is on? 58 plate fr tdi.

Slickline

Some handy little tips there, some of which may be in the manual but as i couldn't be bothered reading it all i'll never know :)

GrantyBoy

Jun 7, 2007
Aberdeen
*When you switch the engine off, but the key is still in, press the wiper stalk down once and your wipers rest at the bottom of the window instead of the sides (only works until the key is turned again) - I don't see the point in this really but it does it!!

This function is for when you come to change the windscreen wiper blades. Also cleaning the car so you can get right in about the windscreen.

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
This function is for when you come to change the windscreen wiper blades. Also cleaning the car so you can get right in about the windscreen.

when I changed mine I didn't do this, you can just lift them up when they're at the sides . . . same when I clean the windscreen . . . although because the blades are bent when not on the windscreen, they do catch the sponge but only slightly.

but fair point, I'll probably do this next time I wash her :D

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
Another one. If you keep you wiper stalk down for a few seconds it wipes the windsreen in a faster manner, three wipes I think.

Again, I only came across this by a mistake.

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
Another one. If you keep you wiper stalk down for a few seconds it wipes the windsreen in a faster manner, three wipes I think.

Again, I only came across this by a mistake.

already put that mate ;) keeps doin it until you let go, not just three times

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
Another wiper Leon fact (on my FR 170 TDI anyway...):
First time this happened, I thought they'd bust:- When you come to a halt with the wipers on any continual setting, they go into intermittent mode. :blink:
No mention of this in my handbook? :)

ye, it did this in my old renault megane as well.

when you stop, it switches the wipers down a setting . . . so intermittant becomes off, normal becomes intermittent, fast becomes normal.

but if you are stationary when you select the setting, it doesn't do it, until you set off then stop again.

hawtin1584

Oct 30, 2008
I held the auto button for 3 seconds and both climate controls went up at once, but how do you get it back to normal, i have been button bashing for ages and cant seem to get it right.

OldDevonian

I held the auto button for 3 seconds and both climate controls went up at once, but how do you get it back to normal, i have been button bashing for ages and cant seem to get it right.

iirc you adjust the passenger temp setting

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London

thats one of my favourites that! :funk:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.