V power diesel and the like

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I always thought this stuff was a load of BS. I had the whole back up or just go with it dilemma at the pump last week and decided to bite the bullet and pay for it. Well I got 5mpg better measured economy on the same trip.

I stuck another tank in just now and I will put my box back to the less aggressive setting to test it for real but what are your observations if you have tried it?

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
On my C30 it came out about cost neutral, slightly better mpg and double shell points offsetting the difference in price to supermarket derv.

Haven't tried with this car yet, want to get a few more miles under it with the box on so I can calibrate the readouts first.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Got me intrigued. 5th gear did a test and it added 6bhp (4%) on a pug.

I've only used it once but based on that example it's cost neutral too. I got 5mpg which is 55 extra miles over a tank, 55 miles at normal mpg is £5.78

V power was £1.48 instead of £1.38 so £5 quid more on our 50 litre tanks.

If i maintain a clean engine and get a few bhp and bonus avios out of it I'm laughing.

Excalpino

Jan 30, 2014
Perth, - still in the UK :-)
I got caught by this on my last trip to Wales. Filled up near Chester before 350 mile trip home to Scotland.
I always check mpg on full to full measure. Trip down to wales 50.5 mpg , trip home with 'V' power at 11.0 pence per litre premium = 45.5 mpg. Never again.

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
I got caught by this on my last trip to Wales. Filled up near Chester before 350 mile trip home to Scotland.
I always check mpg on full to full measure. Trip down to wales 50.5 mpg , trip home with 'V' power at 11.0 pence per litre premium = 45.5 mpg. Never again.

A single tank/trip is a poor comparison, which could easily be explained by wind direction, the trip to wales being net downhill, different traffic conditions etc. FWIW on a trip from manchester to edinburgh I consistently get better mpg coming back than going.

Presumably you're also talking about petrol?

As I say, I haven't done comparitive figures on this, but in my C30 D2 I got 50mpg average over 2.5k of mixed driving with supermarket, and 52.5 with vpower over about 3k. Not enough to cover the difference on its own, but with the offer shell were running on their points card at the time it was just worthwhile.

Stonesie

Apr 28, 2012
Doncaster
I tried 3 tanks of it in my mk2 and got less mpg on V-power than on my usual standard Esso derv, maybe the old PD engines like a different brew to the new CR engines?

Excalpino

Jan 30, 2014
Perth, - still in the UK :-)
Hi keith, I agree single tank trip not statistically significant. Car was Honda Civic 2.2 diesel. This car has averaged 44.0 mpg over 56000 miles and never gone below 46 mpg on long motorway journeys

Please note it is not all uphill to Scotland.:D In fact I think my home location mat be at a lower height above sea level than my destination in Wales! However we do seem to get more northerly winds than southerly's

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
Hi keith, I agree single tank trip not statistically significant. Car was Honda Civic 2.2 diesel. This car has averaged 44.0 mpg over 56000 miles and never gone below 46 mpg on long motorway journeys

Please note it is not all uphill to Scotland.:D In fact I think my home location mat be at a lower height above sea level than my destination in Wales! However we do seem to get more northerly winds than southerly's

You get all kinds of wierd artifacts with journeys like that though. My commute is about 2 miles of stop start then 24 miles of motorway, work is immediately off the motorway and I consistently get better mpg on the trip there than back, presumably because the engine is up to temp before hitting motorway speeds.

Hugo Nebula

Dec 7, 2007
Manchester
I have tried it in my current car (CR) & a previous VAG PD engine (Skoda Fabia vRS), both times over three fills. Both times it's made virtually no difference in MPG or performance.

I've also found no difference between Shell and supermarket diesel.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I'm fully expecting the last tank to be a fluke. I do however find a big difference with hi biodiesel supermarket fuel. I get a judder under 1500k so avoid it wherever I can.

shhhhh

In my car (CR170) I get ~380 miles out of a tank with supermarket and about 405 miles on shell vpower, or bp ultimate. Plus the engine seems to sound slightly smoother on the premium fuel, but that could be a placebo effect.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
In my car (CR170) I get ~380 miles out of a tank with supermarket and about 405 miles on shell vpower, or bp ultimate. Plus the engine seems to sound slightly smoother on the premium fuel, but that could be a placebo effect.

How are you only getting 380 out of a tank?!

Darth Revan

I average about 400 out of a tank myself... My average speed is only like 24mph as my trips are short so crap for mpg. Did a 100 mile motorway trip at the weekend plus my normal routine and I filled up at 510 miles. Long journeys make such a difference.
I get 'slightly' better mpg when on v-power but engine does feel smoother.

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Doesn't VPD have the same cetane rating as the regular FuelSave diesel? Think it's just that it contains more (perhaps vs. none in FS) GTL (less black smoke?) and more detergents.

That said I used to use it in my ibiza. Although started using FuelSave towards the end.
Currently using VP in my Leon though, at least that has a higher octane vs. no difference in VPD.

PS this info could be incorrect but was based on stuff I read a while back where someone contaced Shell for the cetane specs (you'll note they're never actually quoted at the pump or website, funny that...) the result was that there was a range the specs fell between, most of which was shared with the bog standard diesel IIRC.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I will fill up later to see if it made a difference over my standard 400 miles. Trip is indicating no real change.

Cougar

Jul 10, 2011
I only get V Power if I get stuck with it at the pumps!

Which happened on the way home from Scotland the other day!

Still, work picked up the bill for that trip so I made sure to fill the tank to the very top...

Not sure I ever notice a difference though. Some times I think I may have but others not so... it's a great mystery!

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Been useing it a while now in my Cupra tdi and it's has have no power or mpg gains but defo makes the engine run better smoother and quiter

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members