Very quiet Cupra 290

mitchybenny

Oct 19, 2019
Hey guys,

Last summer, I purchased my first Cupra. It’s a 66 plate Cupra 290 ST BE and in the time I’ve had it I’ve come to the conclusion it’s way too quiet.

Since I got mine I’ve watched many videos and such of people’s various Cupra’s, all sorts, and yes there is a variation in the noise but compared to mine they all make a lot of noise.

I’m at a loss. Mine does have some exhaust noise but not a lot. Just sounds like a louder regular car. It makes absolutely no DSG noise, I mean none. I see many videos with peoples cars with DSG farts or whatever you want to call them. Mine doesn’t do any, nothing of the sort. No matter what. It just changes gear silently. I get no decent exhaust sounds, no pops, crackles or bangs :(

Does anybody have any idea why? Have I got a model that is just silent? Has anyone else got the same issue? I really don’t understand it. Over the time I’ve had it it’s upset and confused me more and more. Just looking for some reasoning.

Thanks in advance guys

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
I’d say 60%+ of all Cupras, and even morseo on YouTube have a Res Delete fitted to the car.

Also, the ST has extra mufflers than the hatch which makes them quieter again.

The centre resonator in the exhaust is designed to restrict noise and removing for about £100 or so, makes it sound much more like it should.

I’ll try and add a video in now of my 65 plate Cupra ST with just a Res Delete done.

mitchybenny

Oct 19, 2019
Of course I’ve used the Cupra button :clap:

Ok dmpx, I’ll await the video, thanks. What you’re saying is just get a res delete and it’ll sound kinda like it should? Does everyone just get the VAGsport one from progressive parts or are there better options?

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
Of course I’ve used the Cupra button :clap:

Ok dmpx, I’ll await the video, thanks. What you’re saying is just get a res delete and it’ll sound kinda like it should? Does everyone just get the VAGsport one from progressive parts or are there better options?

This is a cold start after about 6 months... (Weird editting to crop out number plate)

This was very quickly after getting it fitted...

I personally wouldn’t bother buying one. I went to my local exhaust shop and they custom made one for £65 in total. It’s just a straight piece of 2.5” pipe that gets welded/clamped in.

mitchybenny

Oct 19, 2019
That does sound nice. Not too OTT, just a nicer, deeper sound. Didn’t realise you could get it done so cheap, I’m new to all this and assumed you had to buy one and get fitted etc. I figured it was more
Complex than them cutting it out and putting a plain piece of pipe in haha. Might have to look into getting it done.

It’s a shame the older Cupra estates are so quiet in the first place though.

Cheers Matt, just checked that out but think that’s the wrong version for mine?

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
That does sound nice. Not too OTT, just a nicer, deeper sound. Didn’t realise you could get it done so cheap, I’m new to all this and assumed you had to buy one and get fitted etc. I figured it was more
Complex than them cutting it out and putting a plain piece of pipe in haha. Might have to look into getting it done.

It’s a shame the older Cupra estates are so quiet in the first place though.

Cheers Matt, just checked that out but think that’s the wrong version for mine?

Yeah it’s fairly simple - Took around 20 minutes and was a big improvement. And can be swapped back to standard if required. And no issues at MOT

Make sure you stick a video up if you get it done!

mitchybenny

Oct 19, 2019
Ok mate thanks for the info. Got some stuff to look into now lol.

I just wonder what the differences are of a cheaper custom job to paying more for the vagsport for example?

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
Ok mate thanks for the info. Got some stuff to look into now lol.

I just wonder what the differences are of a cheaper custom job to paying more for the vagsport for example?

There are some reports of drone on the Motorway, which the Vagsport gets rid of, but I’ve never had any issues with it and do 50+ motorway miles a day

mitchybenny

Oct 19, 2019
Ok good to know. I’ll send a couple of emails out as there is 2 good custom exhaust places not that far from me and see what they think. Cheers for the info mate!

dmpx

Mar 23, 2019
An
Ok good to know. I’ll send a couple of emails out as there is 2 good custom exhaust places not that far from me and see what they think. Cheers for the info mate!

Happy to help! Any other issues just drop me a message

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
I could just about hear the DSG fart and crackles in Cupra mode when my 280 ST was standard, but only with the boot cover retracted to get the sound.
No - there aren't extra mufflers in the ST exhausts. There is the resonator plus a box on each tail pipe rather than a large box to feed both tails to give floor pan some clearance at the back.
The SC with engine codes CJXA, CJXE, CJXH had an extra muffler but also had an exhaust valve on one tail pipe.
The resonator For Sale may fit if the extra adapter parts are correct, but it's a long distance gamble. You could always sell it on though.

With the resonator removed and a stage 1 remap the exhaust makes all the noises you could wish for. Its particuarly noisy on a cold start-up on lift-off going down hill.

leigh.saunders

Mar 31, 2019
Don't forget to turn off the sound aktor aswell. Best thing I did after fitting my res delete on my ST

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.